Age: 73 Years
Wife: Tazeen Fatima
Net Worth: Rs. 4.61 Crore
|Full Name||Mohammad Azam Khan|
|Profession(s)||Lawyer, Indian Politician|
|Political Journey||• Azam Khan has been an MLA for 8 terms, every time from the Rampur Constituency.
• Khan is currently a member of Samajwadi Party but had been a member of four other political parties between 1980 and 1992.
• He was a member of Janta Party (secular) during his first term as an MLA.
• During his second term, Khan was a member of Lok Dal.
• It was his third term as an MLA; this time from Janata Dal.
• Azam Khan was a member of Janta Party for his fourth term.
• Khan then joined Samajwadi Party, became MLA for the fifth time. He has been a member of the same since 1993.
• He resigned from the post of General Secretary of the party on 17 May 2009.
• During the 15th Loksabha elections, the surrounding controversies resulted in a crisis in the party. On 24 May 2009, Khan was expelled for six years, but the party later revoked his expulsion, and Khan again joined the party on 4 December 2010.
• In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, he won against BJP's Jaya Prada by a margin of 1,09,997 votes from the Rampur Constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
• He won the Rampur seat in the 2022 Uttar Pradesh assembly election.
• On 22 March 2022, he resigned from his membership of the Lok Sabha. Hindustan Times
• He won the 2022 Uttar Pradesh Lesgislative Assembly election from Rampur, and he took oath as an MLA on 23 May 2022 after he was released from jail when the Supreme Court granted hi interim bail in an alleged cheating case. Hindustan Times
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 75 kg
in Pounds- 165 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||14 August 1948|
|Age (as of 2021)||73 Years|
|Birthplace||Rampur district, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Hometown||Rampur, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||Aligarh Muslim University|
|Educational Qualification(s)||LLB (Hons.) from Aligarh Muslim University In 1974|
|Family||Father- Mumtaz Khan
Mother- Ameer Jahan
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Address||Mohalla-Dheramirabaj Khan, Tanki No.-5, Rampur, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Controversies||• On 28 August 2012, during a meeting, Azam Khan verbally abused an Indian Administrative Service officer (IAS), shouting: "Bakwas karte ho...chup baithiye...badtameez kaheen ke" (Stop talking non-sense...sit quietly...you ill-mannered)
•It has been asserted that he pressured the police to not arrest the Muslim people during the 2013 Muzaffarnagar riots.
• He later flashed into the headlines, when a team of 100 policemen and a sniffer dog was deployed to locate his missing buffaloes.
• Azam Khan, On 21 November 2014 commented that Taj Mahal should be handed over to the Wakf board, for which, he was widely criticised by the media, since, the Taj Mahal belongs to the whole nation and not just one community.
• On 3 October 2015, Khan quoted that (BJP) MP Mahesh Sharma should be arrested for the conspiracy to commit the murder of a man for eating beef in the Dadri village of Bisara.
• Azam Khan made it to the spotlight when he made a controversial comment about the November 2015 Paris Attacks. He said, "The Paris terror attacks were the result of the action of global superpowers like America and Russia and history will decide who is a terrorist."
• Khan once by referring to the Kargil war said, "The peaks of Kargil were conquered not by Hindu, but Pakistani soldiers.” His statement was rebuked by the Indian media and an FIR was lodged against him. Later, he even refused to apologize for his words and said that the Indian Election Commission was being biased against him because of his religion.
• When Azam was a part of the Akhilesh Government, he hosted a birthday bash for Mulayam Yadav. The media persons when sought to know who funded the birthday bash, Khan replied- “Fund Taliban se aaya hai. Kuch Dawood ne diya hai, kuch Abu Salem se aaya hai.”
• Azam was also blamed for calling Bharatmata a "dayan" (witch). He, later, said that it was in the context of his religious beliefs.
• In April 2019, an FIR was registered against Khan by the Uttar Pradesh Police for his "underwear jibe" against the BJP candidate, Jaya Prada, who fought the 2019 Lok Sabha polls opposite him from Rampur. Later, he was also barred from campaigning for 72 hours by the Election Commission.
• On 26 February 2022, he was sent to jail for forging a fake birth certificate for his son. News18
• On 19 May 2022, the Supreme Court granted him interim bail in an alleged cheating case. Hindustan Times
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||Tazeen Fatima (Member of Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh)
|Children||Sons- Mohammad Abdulla Azam Khan & Adeeb Azam Khan
|Assets/Properties||• Bank Deposits: Rs. 88.99 Lakh
• Weapons: Worth Rs. 7.52 Lakh
• Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 64.21 Lakh
• Commercial Buildings: Worth Rs. 2 Crore
• Residential Buildings: Worth Rs. 53 Lakh
|Salary (as a Lok Sabha Member)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 4.61 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Azam Khan
- Does Azam Khan smoke?: Not Known
- Does Azam Khan drink Alcohol?: No
- Azam Khan was born in Rampur, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- Khan attended Aligarh Muslim University and graduated in 1974.
- Before jumping into politics, Khan served as a lawyer.
- He has been a Member of Legislative Assembly for 8 terms.
- Azam Khan is the second longest serving MLA, after Ganpatrao Deshmukh (11 times).
- Before Samajwadi Party, he had been a member of four other political parties.