|Famous For||Hosting the talk show "We The People" on NDTV for 16 years|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 143 lbs
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||34-26-36|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Won the Chameli Devi Jain Award for Outstanding Women Mediaperson in 2008
• Named in the list of 100 'Global Leaders of Tomorrow' by the World Economic Forum in 2001 and 2008
• Ramnath Goenka Award for Journalist of the Year in 2005
• Awarded the Best TV News Anchor (English) at the first Indian News Television Awards in 2007
• Won the Journalist of the Year Award by the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association
• In 2008, she won the Indian News Broadcasting Award for the Most Intelligent News Show Host
• In 2008, she was awarded the Padma Shri, the 4th highest civilian honour, by the Manmohan Singh Government
• She received the C.H. Mohammed Koya National Journalism Award in 2009
• In 2012, she won the Personality of the Year Award by Association for International Broadcasting
|Date of Birth||18 December 1971|
|Age (as in 2018)||48 Years|
|School||Modern School, New Delhi|
|College/University||• St. Stephen's College, New Delhi
• Jamia Millia Islamia Mass Communication Research Center, New Delhi
• Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, New York
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Graduate in English Literature from St. Stephens College, New Delhi
• Masters in Mass Communication from Jamia Millia Islamia Research Center, New Delhi
• Masters Degree in Journalism from Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism, New York
|Controversies||• While covering the 2002 Gujarat riots, she violated the guidelines of the Press Council of India by identifying the victims as Hindus and Muslims.
• During the 2008 Mumbai Terror Attacks, Barkha Dutt and many other journalists were accused of negligent reporting; as during their live reporting, the terrorists took advantage of the security personnel's exact location.
• In November 2010, during the Radia Tapes Controversy in the 2G Scam, Barkha Dutt's conversations with Niira Radia were leaked and she became the face of the Radia Tapes Controversy. Barkha Dutt apologised later.
• On 27 July 2016, Barkha Dutt tweeted about Arnab Goswami, stating that she is ashamed to be from the same industry as him. This tweet was a response to Arnab Goswami's statement, demanding a strict response action against the “pseudo-secular and pro-Pakistan” journalists. Barkha was criticised for this tweet as Arnab had not named anyone and still Barkha took a jibe at him.
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||1st Husband- Mr Mir
2nd Husband- Dr Haseeb Drabu
|Parents||Father- S.P. Dutt (Air India Official)
Mother- Prabha Dutt (Journalist)
Sister- Bahar Dutt (Younger; Journalist)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Barkha Dutt
- Barkha Dutt is a renowned Indian Journalist. She came into the limelight after she reported about the Kargil War of 1999. After the Kargil War, she became a household name in India and her popularity started growing. She hosted a talk show We The People on NDTV for 16 years. She worked in NDTV for 21 years before she left in 2017 and joined Tiranga TV.
- Her father, S. P. Dutt, was an Air India official and her mother, Prabha Dutt, was a well-known journalist with the Hindustan Times.
- Her younger sister, Bahar Dutt, is also a journalist with the CNN IBN.
- She joined NDTV in 1994, right after completing her college at the age of 21.
- She became popular after reporting the 1999 Kargil War including an interview with Captain Vikram Batra.
- For her coverage of the 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami, she was honoured with Padma Shri (India’s 4th highest civilian honour) by the Manmohan Singh Government in 2008.
- In February 2015, she was moved to the role of Consulting Editor of NDTV.
- In December 2015, she launched her book, This Unquiet Land: Stories from India’s Fault Lines. Many significant personalities of India attended the launch such as P. Chidambaram, Kangana Ranaut, Shekhar Gupta and many more.
- On 15 January 2017, Barkha announced on Twitter that she was leaving NDTV after 21 years. She also wrote that it was time for her to explore new possibilities.
Its been a super ride at NDTV but new beginning in 2017. I shall be moving on from NDTV to explore new opportunities & my own ventures! 2/4
— barkha dutt (@BDUTT) January 15, 2017
- In January 2019, she joined Tirangaa TV; which is owned by Harvest TV and backed and promoted by Kapil Sibal. She hosts a primetime show, Democracy Live.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)