Age: 51 Years
|Other name/Full name
|• Ajay Prakash Singh Facebook - Ajay Prakash Singh
• Dr A. P. Singh
|• Lawyer (Advocate)
|Fighting the case of Nirbhaya Rape case accused
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|in kilograms- 75 kg
in pounds- 165 lbs
|Date of Birth
|1 July 1972 (Saturday)
|Age (as of 2023)
|Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
|• Dr Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow
• Delhi University
• University of California
|• LLB (Dr Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow)
• LL. M. (Delhi University)
• Doctorate in Criminology (University of California)
|Comments against Women India Today
During a TV debate for the Nirbhaya Rape case, AP Singh became angry when the reporter kept asking him personal questions and said that if his daughter had pre-marital sex and was found roaming with her boyfriend, he had the courage to burn her alive in the front of his family members. This enraged several women watching the debate and asked action against him. He said,
"If my daughter or my sister engages in pre-marital or meretricious relationship, or if she lowers her moral standards and character, i will definitely burn her alive in front of my family members.”
His remark resulted in widespread outrage across the country, leading to heavy criticism from the public and media. In response to the backlash, he offered an explanation for his statement, stating that he made the remark in a moment of frustration and agitation. He said that the interviewer's probing and personal questions had provoked him to the point where he reacted emotionally and made the statement.
|Relationships & More
|Father- Dr O. P. Singh (Deceased, Police Officer)
Mother- Vimla Singh
|Sister- Geeta Singh (Advocate)
Some Lesser Known Facts About A P Singh
- AP Singh is an Indian lawyer who has fought several high-profile cases in the Supreme Court of India. He is one of the most senior Supreme Court advocates. He has showcased his talents as an author by publishing three books.
- While growing up, he felt that the poor people of India were not getting equal opportunities to pursue justice and the police were also unable to grant justice, hence he decided to become a lawyer, and his father supported him as he also believed Ajay’s reasons to pursue a career in law.
- During his childhood, he, along with his family, moved to Delhi from Bareilly to study further.
- In 1997, he started practising in the Supreme Court as a trainee lawyer and was present during the case hearings of Tantrik Chandraswami who was accused of money laundering, blackmail, and fraud. In 1998, he enrolled as a lawyer at the Lucknow Bar Association.
- AP Singh has fought many high-profile cases including as a defence attorney for the 2012 Nirbhaya Rape case, the 2014 Sant Rampal case, the 2019 Sant Ram Rahim case, and the 2020 Hathras Rape Case. He also fought cases of case of several Aam Aadmi Party MLAs in Delhi, many MPs and MLAs from Odisha, several Naxalite-related cases in Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh, and cases of many Bahubali leaders.
- After taking up the case of Nirbhaya’s Rape accused, Ajay, in an interview, said that one of the victim’s wives had approached his mother. He said that although his parents were highly spiritual and never watched TV, they asked Ajay to fight their case and help them seek justice.
- Some lawyers have criticised Ajay’s practices to delay the hanging of Nirbhaya’s rape accused and questioned his motives behind fighting such cases; however, some lawyers have supported him and said that every Indian citizen is entitled to seek justice through a lawyer. Jansatta
- He has often made headlines for these cases as he once said that Nirbhaya‘s parents were irresponsible, and after a court hearing, he reportedly said to Nirbhaya’s mother, Asha Devi, that he would not let the killers be hanged till infinity. India Today
- In July 2023, he made headlines again when he took up Seema Haider‘s case and mentioned in his 38-page petition that when Adnan Sami could be given Indian citizenship based on his long-time stay, Seema Haider could also be given citizenship on such basis. Seema Haider illegally entered India in May 2023 to live wth her lover, Sachin Meena.
- He disclosed in an interview that Tantrik Chandraswami gave him two pairs of coats, pants, and robes after he fought his case in the Supreme Court. He also accompanied Chandraswami on various foreign tours.
- He has served as the National Secretary General of the BSK Lawyers Federation.
- He has been associated with several social organisations, particularly regarding Men’s Rights and the Rights of the Kayastha Community. He has served as the vice president of the Akhil Bharatiya Kayastha Mahasabha (ABKM). In an interview, he said that he wanted to launch a Men’s rights movement to prevent men from suffering due to the misuse of laws by women. Twitter – AP Singh Outlook
- He is also an author who has written three books He is also an author who has written the books such as Wonders of Asaram Bapu: The Story in Depth, Rise and Fall of Lalu Parsad Yadav, and Damini: A Political Murder.
- He likes to do Yoga to maintain his fitness. He plays the guitar during his leisure time and finds joy in playing billiards.