Age: 45 Years
Wife: Pipi Goswami
|Full Name||Arnab Ranjan Goswami|
|Profession(s)||Journalist, News Anchor|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet inches- 5’ 11”
|Date of Birth||9 October 1973|
|Age (as of 2020)||46 Years|
|Birthplace||Guwahati, Assam, India|
|Hometown||Guwahati, Assam, India|
|School(s)||• Mount St. Mary's School, Delhi Cantonment
• Kendriya Vidyalaya, Jabalpur Cantonment
|College/University||• Hindu College, Delhi University, New Delhi
• Oxford University, England
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Graduation in Sociology
• Masters in Social Anthropology
|Debut||TV: NDTV (1995-Present)|
|Address (Republic TV)||Bombay Dyeing Compound, Worli, Mumbai 400 018|
|Hobbies||Reading, Travelling, Watching Movies|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||2003: Asian Television Award for Best Presenter or Anchor
2007: Society Young Achievers Award
2010: Assamese of the Year Award by News Live
2010: Ramnath Goenka Award for Excellence in Journalism (TV) by the Indian Express Group
|Controversies||• In March 2015, while he was driving towards Worli in Mumbai, he saw a businessman driving his Lamborghini car at a high speed on the Bandra Worli Sea Link. After that, Arnab called the Mumbai Police to take some action, and Police arrested the businessman later.
• In May 2017, The Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd (BCCL), which owns TimesNow TV channel, lodged a police complaint against Republic TV's Editor-in-Chief Arnab Goswami, claiming infringement of Intellectual Property Rights and other charges.
• Some criticised the way of his talking in the TV panel discussion. A CPI (Communist Party of India) activist, Kavita Krishnan, denounced his channel for branding rape-accused as a rapist, terror-accused as a terrorist.
• On May 26, 2017, Congress MP Shashi Tharoor lodged a defamation case in the Delhi High Court against Goswami's TV channel Republic TV for linking Tharoor to Sunanda Pushkar's death.
• On 30 August 2018, the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA) asked the Republic TV to release a full-screen apology to its viewers for the inappropriate comments that Arnab Goswami had made during the broadcast of a programme 'Jignesh Flop Show' on Republic TV.
• In April 2020, multiple FIRs were lodged against him for his alleged derogatory remark on the Congress supremo Sonia Gandhi. He also allegedly allegations of communal nature against her. Deccan Herald
• On the morning of 4 November 2020, he was arrested in a joint operation by the Raigad police and the Mumbai Police from his home in Mumbai in connection with abetment to suicide case of an architect, Anvay Naik, who designed Arnab's studio. After Mr. Naik and his mother were found dead at their home in Alibaug, Maharashtra in 2018, Mr. Naik's wife claims that in a suicide note he had mentioned that Mr. Goswami was responsible for his death. The Times of India Later, Mr. Naik's wife shared a suicide note left by her husband in which Arnab Goswami, along with two others, was held responsible for the death of Mr. Naik.
On 11 November 2020, he was granted interim bail by the Supreme Court of India. While granting him the bail, a two-judge bench of Justices DY Chandrachud and Indira Banerjee pulled up the Maharashtra government over Arnab's arrest. NDTV
|Girls, Affairs, and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Samyabrata Ray Goswami (Pipi Goswami)
|Parents||Father- Manoranjan Goswami (Retd. Colonel)
Mother- Suprabha Goswami
Sister- 1 (Indian Defence Service)
|Politician||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Musician||Bhupen Hazarika (Assamese Playback Singer)|
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 1 Crore/Month|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Arnab Goswami
- Arnab was born into an Assamese Brahmin family.
- His family belongs to a village in Assam’s Borpeta district. Later, his family migrated to Shillong and finally settled in Guwahati.
- His grandfather, Rajani Kanta Goswami was a judge and a freedom fighter who served as a leader of the Indian National Congress.
- His uncle, Dinesh Goswami, was the union law minister in the short-lived Vishwanath Pratap Singh government.
- When Arnab was in 6th standard, he got interested in debate contests.
- He started his career as a journalist in the early 1990s with ‘The Telegraph‘ newspaper in Kolkata.
- In 1995, he joined NDTV as a news broadcaster and after 3 years, he became a news editor.
- He also worked as a news anchor in DD Metro channel and Star News, alongside Rajdeep Sardesai.
- In 1998, his father contested for BJP in the general election from Guwahati, but he lost to Congress candidate, Bhubaneswar Kalita.
- His father was in the Indian Army, so his childhood was spent in different cities due to the transferable job of his father.
- The first TV interview was with Sonia Gandhi.
- In 2002, he authored his first book, ‘Combating Terrorism: The Legal Challenge.’
- In 2015, during a debate on a Times Now show, the Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader Mahua Moitra showed her middle finger to Goswami on air.
- In the same year, he became the 1st journalist to ring the opening bell at the BSE on its 140th year.
- Though, he has an image of not letting others speak on his show, but, in real life, he is a good listener.
- His sister works for Indian Defence and his brother-in-law is in the Indian Army.
- He considers the Assamese singer Late Bhupen Hazarika as his role model.
- In November 2016, he shocked everyone after announcing his departure from Times Now, to start his venture, Republic TV.
- On 6 May 2017, he launched his own English news channel Republic TV, which became the first news channel in India to be aired live on Hotstar.
- Republic TV beat its rival channel in the English genre Times Now and grabbed the #1 spot within a week of its launch.
- After he was arrested by the Raigad police in connection with abetment to suicide case of Anvay Naik, even many of his critics condemned the way police arrested him.
References/Sources: [ + ]