|Real Name||Tshering Phintso Denzongpa|
|Profession||Actor, Director, Businessman|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 10”
|Weight (Approx.)||in Kilograms- 79 kg
in Pounds- 174 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 41 Inches
- Waist: 34 Inches
- Biceps: 12 Inches
|Date of Birth||25 February 1948|
|Age (as in 2017)||69 Years|
|Birth Place||Gangtok, Sikkim|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
|School||Birla Vidya Mandir, Nainital|
|College||St. Joseph's College, Darjeeling
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune
|Educational Qualifications||Course in Acting|
|Debut||Film: Zaroorat (1971)
Directorial: Phir Wahi Raat (1980)
|Awards||In 1992, awarded the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for 'Sanam Bewafa'.
In 1993, awarded the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for 'Khuda Gawah'.
In 2003, awarded the Padma Shri.
|Family||Father- Not Known
Mother- Not Known
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Address/Residence||A Bungalow in Juhu, Mumbai
|Hobbies||Horse riding, painting, writing, sculpting|
|Controversies||• Young Tabu once accused actor Jackie Shroff of molesting her at Danny Denzongpa's residence. However, nothing could be proved over the years.|
|Favourite Singer||Late George Michael|
|Favourite Actress||Meena Kumari|
|Favourite Actor||Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favourite Director||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Favourite Sport||Horse Racing|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Gawa Denzongpa (former Sikkim princess)
|Children||Son- Rinzing Denzongpa (Actor)
Daughter- Pema Denzongpa
Some Lesser Known Facts About Danny Denzongpa
- Does Danny Denzongpa smoke: Not Known
- Does Danny Denzongpa drink alcohol: Yes
- Denzongpa was born into a Buddhist family in Gangtok. In his younger days, he dreamt of serving the Indian army.
- Proceeding slowly and steadily towards his goal, Denzongpa won the Best Cadet Award from West Bengal and even participated in the Republic Day parade.
- However, after looking at the consequences of the Sino-Indian war in early 1960’s, Denzongpa’s mother did not allow him to join the armed forces. As a result, a desolated Denzongpa withdrew his application from the prestigious Armed Forces Medical College, Pune and instead joined the Film & Television Institue of India (FTII), Pune.
- At FTII, Denzongpa became very good friends with Jaya Bachchan, who happened to be his classmate. On Jaya’s suggestion, ‘Tshering Phintso Denzongpa’ adopted a simpler name- Danny!
- Denzongpa, who was not well-acquainted with Hindi found it very tough to land up roles initially in his career. Adding to his misery was an ‘unlike-Bollywood face’, which, according to the directors of that time, was not suitable for any role except for that of a servant.
- After struggling in some films, Denzongpa finally came into some limelight when he played the negative role in the 1972 film- Dhundh.
- Interestingly, the iconic role of ‘Gabbar’ was first offered to Denzongpa. However, since he was busy shooting for Feroz Khan’s Dharmatma, he could not accept the offer.
- His directorial debut, Phir Wahi Raat, starring Rajesh Khanna became a huge success at the box-office.
- The actor also has a prospering business of breweries in states like Sikkim, Orissa and Guwahati.
- In his 4-decade-long career, Denzongpa has acted in over 210 films.
- His film, Frozen (2007), was premiered at 34 international film festivals and garnered as many as 18 awards.
- Although Denzongpa has acted in a number of films alongside Amitabh Bachchan, he was initially reluctant to act opposite ‘Big B’. In an interview, he said that acting alongside the latter in those days was a big risk to one’s popularity, because if the movie became a success then senior Bachchan would get all the credit and if the movie turns out to be a flop, the other actors had to bear the brunt of failure.
- Also a singer, Denzongpa has recorded many tracks with the likes of Asha Bhonsle, Lata Mangeshkar and Mohammed Rafi.