|Profession(s)||• Film Actress
• Script and Story Writer
|Famous Role||She is popularly known for her 'Maya' in Bollywood film Maya Memsaab (1993)
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Debut||As a Film Actress: Party (1984)
As a Film Producer: Maya Memsaab (1992)
As a Screenplay Writer: Oh Darling! Yeh Hai India (1995)
As a Film Director: Tere Mere Phere (2011)
1992: Best Supporting Actress Nomination for Hum
National Film Awards
1993: Best Actress for Maya Memsaab
|Date of Birth||30 November 1962 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India|
|College/University||• Indraprastha College for women, New Delhi, India
• Dehli School of Economics, New Delhi, India
• National School of Drama, New Delhi, India
|Educational Qualification||Gold Medalist in Socialogy from Delhi School of Economics The Times of India|
|Controversy||In 2008, she received heavy criticism for shooting an explicit love making scene with Shah Rukh Khan in her movie "Maya Memsaab (1992)" Asianet Newsable|
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||• First Husband : Nataranjan Bohidar (m. 1977 ; div. 1984)
• Second Husband : Ketan Mehta (m. 1988)
|Film Director(s)||• Prakash Jha
• Rajkumar Hirani
• Ketan Mehta
Some Lesser Known Facts About Deepa Sahi
- Deepa Sahi is an Indian actress, producer, screenplay writer, and director who lives in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- She is known for her role as Maya in the Bollywood film “Maya Memsaab” for which she won a National Film Award.
- She was born in an Army family and was the youngest in her family.
- Her elder sister died at the age of 18, and in an interview, while talking about her family, Deepa said,
After my sister’s death, my vision and concept of living life got changed. I started having an excessive desire of living my life without any compromises.”
- Later, her family shifted to Canada, but Deepa decided to stay in India and achieve her goals.
- She further joined the National School of Drama to amplify in film direction but owing to the fact that she had extremely good looks and voice, she was constantly preferred for films as an actress.
- Amidst her acting career, she co-produced her film “Maya Memsaab” in 1992.
- She acted in 18 films but later quit acting to direct films, and while talking about her acting career, in an interview, she said,
“People don’t believe but I was always interested in direction. Acting happened to me by chance. During my student days at NSD, I got an opportunity to direct an adaptation of Girish Karnad’s ‘Hayavadan’. But the leading lady dropped out 48 hours before the show. Everybody felt since I know the character inside out I would be the best person to fill in. The performance was appreciated. After that, a friend, who was studying at FTII asked me to act in the diploma film that she was expected to make as part of her course. The film was screened at some film festivals and a hoity film critic of The Village Voice described my performance as ‘sublime’. Soon I became the talk of the town. The director called me that Govind Nihalani is looking for me. I insisted that I came here for direction but I was told that anybody can give an arm to work with Nihalaniji. So that is it. I was fully committed to whatever films I did but I never saw it as a career. As an actor, you have to shoot for 15-20 minutes a day. At times it is even less. The rest of the day goes into make-up and other things, where you don’t have much of a say. I didn’t have that kind of patience.”
- In an interview, she said, she had always been fascinated with computers and their working, and how it has reduced man labour.
- In 2001, Deepa and her husband, Ketan Mehta, founded India’s leading training institute “MAAC” in high-end 3d animation and visual effects.
- In 2008, an explicit video clip of Shah Rukh Khan and Deepa Sahi from their movie Maya Memsaab was leaked on YouTube, and later an article was published by an unknown writer, defaming Shah Rukh Khan and Deepa Sahi, for which Shah Rukh Khan lost his cool for being framed in a fake story and later was arrested for abusing the journalist without any piece of evidence. Asianet Newsable
- In 2009, Deepa and Ketan further launch “Maya in-studio Training” at film city in Mumbai to provide advanced training based on studio ready training modules. Movie Talkies – YouTube
- In 2015, after 18 years of break from acting, Deepa returned to the screen as an actor for the movie “Manjhi – The Mountain Man” in which she played the role of the former Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi.
- In an interview, while talking about her return as an actor in the film “Manjhi – The Mountain Man” for the role of our former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi, Deepa said,
- India’s popular animated sitcom “Motu Patlu” is produced by Deepa Sahi under the production of her Cosmos-Maya studios.
- Owing to the “Motu Patlu,” Cosmos-Maya studio has become India’s first homegrown animated franchise.