|Profession(s)||Politician, Quiz Master, Author|
|Famous For||Conducting children quiz shows throughout the world|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Political Party||All India Trinamool Congress
|Political Journey||• Derek O’Brien entered politics in 2004 by joining the All India Trinamool Congress led by Mamata Banerjee.
• Soon Derek O’Brien was appointed as the spokesperson of Trinamool Congress and later nominated as Rajya Sabha member in 2011 when Mamata Banerjee led Trinamool Congress came to power in West Bengal.
• O’Brien was the first person among elected Anglo-Indian members to cast a vote to choose the President of India.
• Derek O'Brien had chaired the 'Transport' and 'Tourism & Culture' Department's Parliamentary Standing Committee from 2017 to 2019.
• He is a member of many parliamentary committees in the current term (2017-2023) such as the Business Advisory Committee, General Purposes Committee, Transport Committee, Tourism and Culture Committee, Human Resource Development Committee, and Ethics Committee.
• Derek O'Brien took the honour of addressing the United Nations General Assembly being a part of a delegation of the Indian parliament.
|Date of Birth||13 March 1961 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||60 Years|
|Birthplace||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|School||• St. Xavier's Collegiate School, Kolkata
• St.Columba's School, Delhi
|College/University||Scottish Church College, Kolkata|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Arts My Neta|
|Religion||Christianity The Indian Express|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Financial Express|
|Address||158, Prince Anwar Shah Road, Kolkata 700045|
|Controversies||• Derek O’Brien was suspended from parliament because of his unparliamentary behaviour on 20 September 2020 during the farm bills passing, as he tried to tear parliament's rule book and created chaos in the parliament.
• On 21 December 2021, he was again suspended from the Rajya Sabha for the remaining part of the Winter Session after he allegedly threw the rule book towards the chair. The incident took place when the passage of the electoral reforms bill in the House was going on. the oppositon opposed the linking of electoral roll data with the Aadhaar ecosystem as proposed in the Election Laws (Amendment) Bill 2021. India Today
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||• First Wife: Rila Banerjee (ex-wife; m.1991)
• Second Wife: Dr. Tonuca Basu (m.2006- present)
|Children||Daughter- Aanya (From his first wife Rila Chaterjee)
Note: He has two children.
|Parents||Father- Neil O’Brien
Mother- Joyce O'Brien
|Siblings||Brother(s)--Barry O'Brien, Andy O'Brien
|Salary (approx.)||Rs. 1,00,000 per month Rajya Sabha|
|Assets/Properties||Non-Agricultural Land worth Rs. 3,65,95,080
Residential Buldings worth Rs. 2,14,80,700 (as of 2016) My Neta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 68,96,549 (as of 2016) My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Derek O’Brien
- Derek O’Brien is an Indian politician and quiz master who is famous for conducting school level quiz competitions throughout the world.
- Derek O’Brien faced sexual molestation when he boarded a crowded bus on his way back home after his tennis practice at the age of 13. NDTV
- When Brien was not able to perform well in the eighth standard due to mid-year school change as a result of his father’s transfer from Delhi to Kolkata, her mother celebrated with family over lunch to motivate him and keep his spirits high.
- Derek O’Brien’s grandfather, “Amos O’Brien,” was the first person from his community to serve as the head of the English department at Banaras Hindu University.
- Brien learned about quiz hosting and conducting from his father, Neil O’Brien, who hosted India’s first well organised quiz in 1967 at Kolkata.
- O’Brien earned the Indian Television Academy Award for Best Host three times in a row from 2003 to 2005.
- He organised quizzes in many countries during his career as a quiz master such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Srilanka, Singapore, Bangladesh, Oman, and the United States.
- After a successful career as a quiz master, O’Brien joined the Trinamool Congress in 2004, which was out of power back then.
- Despite the fact that Derek O’Brien is a well-known leader of the Trinamool Congress, his brother Barry O’Brien is now associated with the BJP.
- Derek O’Brien is also a very fine writer, his novel “Inside Parliament” is one of the best selling novels.
- When questioned about his unruly behaviour and creating chaos in parliament, Derek O’Brien answered that despite the repeated request of many Rajya Sabha members, the resolution for “Farm Bills 2020” was not put to vote. As per his quote,
The chair has to grant you that right, But today, unbelievably, the right was taken away from the opposition. That is a serious breach of parliamentary rules and parliamentary democracy. This is like taking the parliamentary democracy, shoving a knife inside it and killing it. And so, we protested.”