|Other name||Dharminder Bhinda Facebook- Dharminder Singh|
|Nickname(s)||• Pardaan Facebook- Dharminder Singh
• Bhinda Instagram- Punjabi_university_patiala
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 182 cm
in meters- 1.82 m
in feet & inches- 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- kg
in pounds- lbs
|Date of Birth||26 June|
|Birthplace||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Date of Death||5 April 2022|
|Place of Death||Punjabi University, Patiala|
|Age (at the time of death)||Not Known|
|Death Cause||He was shot dead in a group clash near Punjabi University in Patiala. Hindustan Times|
|Hometown||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|College/University||Punjabi University Patiala, Punjab|
|Caste||Jaat Instagram-Dharminder Singh|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Marriage Date||Not Known|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known|
|Children||Son- Guru Fateh
|Parents||Names Not Known|
|Siblings||Brother- Gurwinder Singh|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dharminder Singh
- Dharminder Singh was an Indian professional kabaddi player.
- Dharminder Singh decided to pursue a career in the sport during his childhood. He used to train for more than 5 to 6 hours every day to improve his muscles and flexibility. Later, he joined the Daun Kalan village kabaddi club and began playing Kabaddi. He began his career with participating in local Kabaddi competitions.
- The kabaddi player was shot dead on 5 April 2022. In the evening, opposing gangs from Daun Kalan and Theri villages battled in the university, according to police sources. After some time, Dharminder represented his folks at a meeting with the opposing group outside the campus at a dhaba. Someone shot him dead while the conversations were going on. According to reports, two of the suspects are called Tejbir Singh and Harbir Singh, and they are joined by another person. When the party was drinking at a neighbourhood restaurant shop, they got into an altercation, and the deceased allegedly assaulted them before being manhandled. Later, the duo is said to have returned with more and battered him. One of them drew a gun and fired at the kabbadi player. A video of the incident shot by a girl over her phone has gone viral on internet. The whole incident can be seen in the video and will be helpful for the police in further investigations.
- Harpal Singh, Superintendent of Police (SP), Patiala informing about the incident said,
The incident happened at around 11.30 pm on Tuesday, when two groups had a heated argument. The argument took a violent turn and a gunshot was fired that wounded the victim, who died on the spot.”
He also added,
During investigation, it was revealed that another university student, identified as Harbir Singh, had personal enmity against the victim. Urban Estate police have registered an FIR against four suspects in the case. An investigation is underway to nab the accused.”
- The murder of Dharminder Singh is also getting linked to the murder of international kabaddi player Sandeep Singh Nangal murder which took place on 15 March 2022. Unidentified assassins opened fire on Sandeep as he fled the competition area, killing him instantly. At least seven to eight rounds are fired in the vicinity of an open arena while a match is being played. The competition was in the middle of its run when the assailants started fire. The accused then ran away from the scene. The killing on kabaddi players in Punjab has questioned the law and order situation in Punjab.
- After this incident, Punjab Police Commissioner VK Bhawra was asked by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann to construct an anti-gangster task force (AGTF) commanded by an ADGP-rank officer. Mann, who presided over a high-level police department meeting, stressed the need of removing organised crime as a key priority. He assured the officers that the police will have the required personnel, equipment, and information technology, as well as the money, to break the relationship that has already extended its wings in the drug trade and kabaddi sport.
- Navjot Singh Sidhu took to twitter to question the law and order situation in Punjab after the news of kabaddi player murder surfaced. He tweeted,
Complete collapse of law & order in Punjab while CM busy seeking votes in Himachal’s cool breezes.. 2 more cold blood murders in Patiala today. On an average 3-4 murder taking place daily, people are in state of fear. Best way to discharge your duty is to dispense with it.”
- Captain Amarinder Singh, the former Chief Minister of Punjab also took to Twitter and wrote,
Recent spike in incidents of violence in Punjab are very worrisome. @PunjabPoliceInd is perfectly capable of handling these situations, if they are given a free hand by the @PunjabGovtIndia to take strict action. No one should be allowed to disturb Punjab’s hard earned peace.”
- Reportedly, Dharminder Singh had abandoned the Shiromani Akali Dal ahead of the Punjab Assembly elections on February 2022 to campaign for the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) in Ghanaur. He had solicited the services of another kabaddi player named Gurlal Ghanaur.