Hometown: Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
Age: 38 Years
|Full name||Divya Mahipal Maderna Divya Mahipal Maderna - Instagram|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC) (2010-present)
|Political Journey||• Contested the Zila Panchayat elections from Osian (2010)
• Contested and won the assembly elections from the Osian constituency in Jodhpur (2018)
• Appointed as the President of Gram Seva Sahakari Samiti Limited of Chadi village (2022)
|Awards||• 2019: Women Political Leadership Award by Focus India in New Delhi
• 2021: Adarsh Yuva Vidhayak Samman at the 12th Indian Student Parliament
|Date of Birth||25 October 1984 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||38 Years|
|College/University||• University of Pune, Pune
• University of Nottingham, England
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics Divya Maderna's My Neta profile
• Post Graduate degree in Economics The New Indian Express
|Caste||Jat The Times of India|
Guru Jambheshwar Nagar, Gandhi path, Jaipur
C-1-51, Residency Road, Jodhpur
|Controversies||• Cheating charges levied on Divya Maderna
An FIR was filed against Divya Maderna on 17 June 2017 on account of cheating, dishonestly in delivery of property, and forgery of valuable security at the Khinvsar Police Station in district Nagaur, Rajasthan. She was booked under the IPC sections 420, 467, 471, and 120B. Divya Maderna's My Neta profile
• Humiliated the village head during a meeting
In 2019, a video of Divya Maderna went viral, where she was seen asking Chandu Devi, the sarpanch (head) of the village, to sit on the floor among the local people rather than beside her on the chair. Divya, on 16 March 2019, visited Khetasar village in Osian near Jodhpur district to appreciate and thank the local people of the village, who voted for her during the 2018 assembly elections. During the meeting, Chandu Devi sat beside Divya on the chair, but Divya asked her to sit among other local people and pointed towards the audience sitting on the floor. Chandu quietly went and sat with the local people. Later, the villagers criticized Divya for humiliating the sarpanch of their village, and they demanded an apology from her. In an interview, on being asked how she felt about the behaviour of MLA Divya towards her, Chandu Devi, the sarpanch of the village, replied
I am very disappointed with the behaviour meted out to me by Maderna, I had gone to the meeting of Maderna on the insistence of the villagers and also sat on the dais after the villagers wanted me to sit beside the MLA Scroll
Divya, in her defence, claimed that she assumed Chandu Devi to be the resident of the village, and she was unaware of the fact that Chandu Devi was the sarpanch of the village as she had covered her face with a veil. In an interview, Divya talked about the reason behind asking the sarpanch to sit on the floor and said,
I could not recognise her. I considered her a simple villager and thought that she had come to me on the dais with some grievance.” Hindustan Times
• Advised to get married
During a meeting in Osian, Hanuman Beniwal, a member of parliament from Nagaur, passed derogatory remarks on Divya Maderna's father Mahipal Naderna,
and her grandfather, Parasram Maderna, and he even advised her to get married as her age was passing. While addressing the people in the meeting, Hanuman said,
Once by becoming an MLA, she started considering herself as a leader. Leave my worries, I live by eliminating what I follow. Divya should leave the worry of development and get married, because marriage keeps the mind right. Mahipal Maderna is no more, so we all should worry about it. I will also come to bless you for marriage." ABP Live
Hanuman was criticized by Divya's supporters for passing such a controversial statement about her marriage, and they protested against him by burning his effigy and raising slogans against him. In an interview, Hanuman, in his defence, replied,
I have not said any wrong thing. Age is passing. So you should get married."
• Addressed Congress' minister a "Rubber Stamp"
Divya Maderna, during an assembly meeting in October 2022, sparked controversy when she addressed her own government's water resource minister Mahesh Joshi as a "Rubber Stamp" for not a providing solution to the water problems faced by the residents in the desert area of Rajasthan like tap water connections and execution of water resources. During the meeting, Divya said,
I am warning you (Joshi) that I have joined politics to serve people and if you continue to bulldoze the water schemes, I will organize a people’s campaign against you. The minister and principal secretary of the desert do visit my areas, but I don’t know whether Mantri Ji (Joshi) understand the problem of desert area,” The Times of India
• Protested against the Congress government
Congress MLA Divya Maderna, on 11 September 2022, protested against the Congress government, and she sat on a dharna for not treating the patient for free under the Chiranjeevi Health Insurance Scheme, which is a government scheme that provides cashless medical insurance for up to Rs 5 lakh to the permanent residents of Rajasthan. The scheme was effective from 1 May 2021. On 7 September 2022, Jagdish Dudi, a resident of Dhanariwala village, experienced chest pain, and he was taken to Shri Ram Hospital in Jodhpur for treatment. Despite having a Chiranjeevi card, the hospital authorities demanded payment of approximately 3.5 lakh from the patient’s family member. When Divya was informed about the incident, she rushed to the hospital and spoke to the hospital authorities and the doctors, but they were not provided with the appropriate solution following which Divya, along with other supporters, decided to stage a dharna outside the hospital premises. ABP Live
• Lashed out on NSUI's president for defeat in student union elections
In September 2022, the result of the student union election of 17 universities in Rajasthan was announced in which Congress' student organization, NSUI's state president, Abhishek Choudhary, was defeated by Nirmal Chaudhary, a non-party candidate. NSUI was not even able to bag a single president position in any of the government universities. Divya Maderna took to Twitter to criticize Abhishek, and she blamed the ruling Congress party for the defeat.
• Took a dig at Rajasthan's chief minister Ashok Gehlot
Ashok Gehlot, who was appointed as the chief minister of Rajasthan in 2018, refused to contest for the Congress president post in September 2022. On his announcement of opting out of the Congress president race, Divya Maderna took to Twitter and lashed out at Ashok for ruining the moment of pride as a resident of Jodhpur would have represented the state at the highest post of the Congress party. Reportedly, Divya passed the remark “Mutthi Bhar Bajare Ke Lie Dilli Ki Badashahat Kho Di” (Lost the kingship of Delhi for a handful of millet) on Ashok’s failure to become the Congress president.
As per Divya, the entire situation was caused by the indifferences among the party members of Ashok Gehlot, which were Shanti Kumar Dhariwal, Mahesh Joshi, and Dharmendra Rathod.
Divya advised Ashok to acknowledge the decision of the high command by reminding him of the incident in 1998, when her grandfather, Parasram Maderna, was the key competitor for the post of chief minister of Rajasthan, but the high command appointed Ashok Gehlot as the chief minister, and Parasram accepted the decision without any complaint.
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Mahipal Maderna (politician) (b. 1952;d. 2021)
Mother- Leela Maderna (politician)
|Sibling||Sister- Rubal Maderna
|Other Relative(s)||Grandfather- Parasram Maderna (politician) (b. 1926;d. 2014)
Paternal Uncle- Ashok Maderna
Paternal Aunt(s)- Ratan Mirdha and Renu
|Assets/Properties (as of 2018)||Movable assets
• Cash: Rs 5,75,765
• Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions, and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs 52,19,258
• NSS, Postal Savings, etc: Rs 10,94,254
• LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs 6,71,206
• Personal loans/advance given: Rs 18,78,995
• Jewellery: Rs 28,77,600
• Agricultural Land: Rs 25,00,000
• Non-Agricultural Land: Rs 30,00,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs 1,66,49,339 Divya Maderna's My Neta profile
|Net Worth (approx.)||As of 2018, Divya’s net worth is estimated to be Rs 34,466,417 Divya Maderna's My Neta profile|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Divya Maderna
- Divya Maderna is an Indian politician of the Indian National Congress (INC). She was elected as a member of the legislative assembly (MLA) of the Osian constituency in Jodhpur, Rajasthan in the 2018 assembly elections by defeating Bhera Ram Choudhary, a Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) candidate, by a margin of 27590 votes. Times Now
- Divya’s father, Mahipal Maderna, a member of the Indian National Congress (INC), served as a cabinet and water resource minister of Rajasthan. He died on 17 October 2021 at his residence in Jodhpur after battling cancer.
- Divya’s mother Leela Maderna, a member of the Indian National Congress, became Zila Pramukh (Block President) in September 2021 after successfully contesting the panchayat elections from Jodhpur, Rajasthan. The Times of India
- Divya’s grandfather, Parasram Maderna, a Congress party member, was a senior Jat leader from Rajasthan, India. Parasram served as a member of the legislative assembly nine times from Rajasthan (1957- 2003). He was elected speaker of the Rajasthan Legislative Assembly on 6 January 1999. Parasram passed away on 16 February 2014.
- After completing her post-graduation, Divya decided to carry her family’s political lineage, and at the age of 26, she became a member of the Indian National Congress (INC).
- Divya attended the India Economic Summit in New Delhi on 6 October 2019 as the only MLA from India.
- On 12 November 2019, Divya attended the inaugural edition of Dhaka Global Dialogue as a speaker, which was organized by “The Observer Research Foundation.”
- On 15 January 2020, Divya attended the US India Business Council at Hotel Leela Palace in New Delhi.
- On 4th Feb 2020, Divya was invited to attend the Ocean Conference in New York to address the topic of “Beat Plastic Pollution.”
- Divya Maderna’s father, Mahipal Maderna, after battling cancer, passed away on 17 October 2021. After his death, Divya and her sister, Rubal, performed the funeral rites of their father. As per the Hindu traditions, usually, a son, male mourner, or priest performs the final rituals of the person who has died. Breaking the social conventions, Divya and Rubal tied the turban (pagri) for the turban ceremony (rasam pagri) and lit the funeral pyre of their father, Mahipal Maderna. News18