Harjot Singh Bains Age, Wife, Family, Biography & More
Hometown: Shri Anandpur Sahib, Rupnagar, Punjab
Wife: Jyoti Yadav
Age: 32 Years
|Nickname||HSB Harjot Singh Bains - Instagram|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Political Party||Aam Aadmi Party
|Date of Birth||15 November 1990 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||32 Years|
|Birthplace||Village Gambhirpur, Shri Anandpur Sahib, Rupnagar, Punjab|
|Hometown||Shri Anandpur Sahib, Rupnagar, Punjab|
|School||He studied at a school in Shri Anandpur Sahib.|
|College/University||• Panjab University’s regional center at Ludhiana
• London School of Economics & Political Science (LSE), London, UK
|Educational Qualification(s)||• B. A. LLB (Hons) (2014) from Panjab University’s regional center at Ludhiana
• International Human Right Law (2018) from London School of Economics & Political Science (LSE), London, UK MyNeta
|Religion||Sikhism Harjot Singh Bains - Instagram|
|Address||House No. 116, Village Gambhirpur (Lower), Post Office Dher, Tehsil Anandpur Sahib, District Rupnagar- 140133|
|Relationships & More|
|Engagement Date||12 March 2023
|Marriage Date||25 March 2023
|Wife/Spouse||Jyoti Yadav (IPS Officer)|
|Parents||Father- Sohan Singh Bains (owns a transport business)
Mother- Palwinder Kaur (homemaker)
Sister- Anmol Kaur (younger)
|Car Collection||• Innova Tacry
• Wagon R MyNeta
|Salary/Income (2021-2022)||Rs. 8,05,085 MyNeta|
• Cash Rs. 2,65,300
• Bank Deposits Rs 1,93,100
• Shares, Bonds, and Debentures Rs. 5,07,355
• Insurance Policy Rs. 25,000
• Motor Vehicles Rs. 36,70,000
• Jewellery Rs. 12,65,000
• Agricultural Land: Rs. 22,00,000
• Residential Buildings: Rs. 1,60,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2021. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents (minor). MyNeta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 2,18,32,000
Note: The net worth was for the financial year 2021-2022. It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors). MyNeta
Some Lesser Known Facts About Harjot Singh Bains
- Harjot Singh Bains is an Indian lawyer and politician, who is associated with the Aam Aadmi Party. On 19 March 2022, Harjot Singh Bains took oath as the youngest-ever cabinet minister in the history of Punjab. Breaking the record of Bikram Singh Majithia, Bains was sworn in as the Cabinet Minister for Tourism & Cultural Affairs in the Government of Punjab. Later, in a Cabinet reshuffle, he was given the charge of the Ministry of Education, Punjab.
- He grew up in a middle-class family in village Gambhirpur, Shri Anandpur Sahib, Rupnagar, Punjab.
- His paternal grandfather, Ujjagar Singh Bains, was an employee of the Bhakra Beas Management Board, Nangal, who worked on constructing the Bhakra Nangal Dam. His maternal grandfather, S. Kabal Singh Dhillon, was one of the leading contractors of his time in Nangal.
- Good at academics in childhood, Harjot secured 88% marks in his class 10 examination with 96 marks in Maths and 94 marks in Science.
- While in college, Harjot associated himself with various social movements. He founded a pan-Punjab United Youth Organisation when he was 18 years old.
- In 2011, he actively took part in Anna Hazare’s India Against Corruption movement in the Punjab region.
- After obtaining an international degree in Law from London, Harjot Singh Bains started practising as an advocate at the High Court of Punjab and Haryana, Chandigarh. He pursued law as a career for almost a year and later ventured full-time into politics.
- At the age of 23, Harjot Singh Bains was the founding member of the Aam Aadmi Party in Punjab.
- During the 2013 Legislative Assembly elections in Delhi, Harjot headed a small team that was accountable for managing the Hari Nagar and Tilak Nagar segments, which the party went on to win.
- In 2013, after Aam Aadmi Party emerged as the single largest party in Delhi, it began to expand its roots to Punjab as well. In the same year, Harjot Singh became the convener of the Aam Aadmi Party for the Punjab state.
- Following the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Bains was appointed as the youth wing chief of the Aam Aadmi Party in Punjab. In an interview, while talking about the same, Harjot Singh Bains said, “I was happy to be given a specific task of garnering youth support, which has proved to the key for our party.”
- He led a 15-day ‘Nawa Punjab March’ in 2016; the March was organised to raise awareness about drug abuse in Punjab. Walking from Shri in Fatehgarh Sahib district to the border of Hussainiwala in Ferozepur district, the group led by Harjot covered around 300 kilometres (190 mi).
- Harjot Singh Bains contested the 2017 Legislative Assembly elections from the Sahnewal constituency on a ticket of the Aam Aadmi Party and secured 39,000 votes. However, he lost the elections to the Shiromani Akali Dal candidate Sharanjit Singh Dhillon.
- Later, he became the spokesperson for the Aam Aadmi Party and a member of the National Executive of AAP.
- In 2022, he contested the Punjab Legislative Assembly elections from the Anandpur Sahib Assembly constituency on a ticket of the Aam Aadmi Party. Bains established the victory over the Indian National Congress candidate Kanwarpal Singh Rana by a margin of 45,780 votes. Aam Aadmi Party won 92 seats out of 117 seats in the elections, forming its government. On 16 March 2022, Bhagwant Mann was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Punjab.
- On 14 October 2022, Harjot Singh Bains was made the in-charge of the AAP Himachal Pradesh for the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly elections.
- In March 2023, in the Bhagwant Mann Ministry, Harjot was appointed as the Cabinet Minister for Tourism & Cultural Affairs. On 19 March 2022, he was administered the oath of office by the Governor of Punjab Banwarilal Purohit at the Guru Nanak Dev auditorium of Punjab Raj Bhavan in Chandigarh. Harjot was given charge of four departments, namely, the Department of Legal & Legislative Affairs, the Department of Mines & Geology, the Department of Jails, and the Department of Tourism & Cultural Affairs.
- In May 2022, as the Minister of Jail (Punjab), Harjot Singh took several steps to eliminate the illegal use of mobile phones by the inmates inside the premises of jails and declared that it would be the responsibility of the jail superintendents to closely monitor the inmates. In June 2022, during a media conversation, Bains said that more than 1000 mobile phones were confiscated from various prisons in Punjab since Aam Aadmi Party came into force in Punjab.
- During his tenure as the Jails Minister, he made constant efforts to modernize the prisons.
- In June 2022, Harjot initiated a recruitment process of around 1000 jail wardens to meet the staff shortage in the department.
- He actively worked to transform jails into real ‘sudhar ghars’ (correctional facilities).
- Harjot Singh claimed that while he was serving as the minister of Jails, no special treatment was provided to high-profile prisoners as it happened during previous governments.
- As the Minister of Mines, Harjot Singh Bains framed strict regulations for mining. He also introduced certain regulations to impact the sand mafia in Punjab.
- He served as the Cabinet Minister for Tourism & Cultural Affairs in the Government of Punjab for around three and a half months and was subsequently, given the ministry of higher education and school education in a cabinet reshuffle.
- Bains assumed the office of Cabinet Minister for School Education in the Government of Punjab on 4 July 2022. He was given a charge of three departments- Technical Education & Industrial Training, Higher Education and Languages, and School Education.
- As the Education Minister of Punjab, Harjot worked towards providing better facilities to students. Talking about it, he once tweeted,
Soon you will see guards standing outside Govt. Schools in Punjab, all Sr. sec. Schools will have Campus Managers & up to Rs. 50,000/- per month grant to schools for sanitation & Cleanliness.”
- In February 2023, Harjot Singh Bains organised an orientation workshop for secondary education officers at Punjab School Education Board auditorium to talk about the ways to increase admissions in government schools during the new academic session. A show cause notice was issued to officers who remained absent from the workshop.
- Harjot Singh Bains’ favourite pastimes include travelling and reading books. He also loves writing poetry in his leisure time.
- A gourmet, Harjot Singh Bains loves trying out different cuisines. He also loves to cook various dishes.
- He is addicted to coffee.
- Having no political legacy, Harjot Singh is the first person from his family to step into politics.
- Harjot Singh Bains is an avid dog lover and has posted several pictures with dogs on his social media accounts.
|↑1||Harjot Singh Bains - Instagram|
|↑2, ↑4, ↑5, ↑6, ↑7||MyNeta|
|↑3||Harjot Singh Bains - Instagram|