|Real name||Hirdesh Singh The Indian Express|
|Profession(s)||Music Producer, Composer, Rapper, Pop Singer, Lyricist, Actor|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Debut||Music Album (Punjabi; As a singer): Peshi (2005)
Single (Punjabi; As a singer): Begani Naar (2006)
Film (Hindi; As a singer): Shakal Pe Mat Ja Pandu (2011)
Film (Punjabi; As an actor): Mirza – The Untold Story (2012) as Deesha
Film (Hindi; As an actor): The Xposé (2014) as Kenny Damania (KD)
|Awards||• Best International Act at Brit Asia TV Music Awards (2012)
• Best Music Director for album I.V. (International Villager) at PTC Punjabi Music Awards (2012)
• Best International Album for ‘International Villager’ at UK Asian Music Awards (2012)
• Most Entertaining Singer (Male) for the “Lungi Dance” from the film Chennai Express (2013) at BIG Star Entertainment Awards (2013)
• Best Indie Artist (male) for the song “Brown Rang at MTV VMAI Awards (2013)
• International Icon Award– Male at Zee Cine Award (2014)
• Best Music Director for the film Sonu Ki Titu Ki Sweety at IIFA Award (2019)
|Date of Birth||15 March 1983 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||40 Years|
|Birthplace||Hoshiarpur, Punjab, India|
|School||Guru Nanak Public School, Punjabi Bagh, New Delhi|
|College/University||Trinity College London|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation in Music Ghaint Punjab|
|Religion||Sikhism Instagram - Yo Yo Honey Singh|
|Food Habit||Non-Vegetarian Hindustan Times|
|Controversies||• Booked for Objectionable Lyrics of Various Songs
In 2012, in the aftermath of the Delhi gang rape case, an online campaign was started against him for his women-shaming lyrics. In 2013, one of his concerts at Gurgaon’s Bristol Hotel was also cancelled. Later, an FIR was lodged against him at Lucknow’s Gomtinagar police station by IPS officer Amitabh Thakur. India Today The FIR was filed under Sections 292, 293, and 294 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) for displaying and circulating obscene material, indulging in obscene acts in a public place and singing, reciting or uttering obscene songs or words in a public place to the annoyance of others. In 2013, a petition was filed against him for his song “Main hun balatkari” (I am a rapist). However, Honey Singh denied singing the vulgar song. . The Times of India In an interview, he said,
"The person (fake Honey Singh or any other name), who has sung this very song and uploaded it on the internet portal should be prosecuted for the wrong done by him and in this regard, the responsibility of the internet portal should also be fixed, in case they have acted in contravention of the provisions of law.”
In the same year, his other song “Party All Night” from the film Boss (2013) attracted controversy for carrying a vulgar word which was muted. In an interview, while talking the controversy, the protagonist of the film Akshay Kumar said,
“Wo koi vulgar word tha nai. Ab kisiko kuch aur sunai de to isme unke kaan ki galti hai na ki humari.” (The word was not vulgar at all. They must have heard it wrongly. The blame lies on those who heard it wrong, not us."
Later, Honey Singh received legal notice for the lyrics of the song from a Haryana-based NGO for promoting alcohol and insulting women. Daily Mail They sent the legal notice for the lyrics which reads,
"Jisne bhi party hai karni, aa jao mere ghar ke bhitar, daaru pi kar, khane ko hai murga teetar” (Those who want to party come to my house after drinking; there is chicken and partridge to eat)
• Accused of Domestic Violence
On 4 August 2021, Yo Yo Honey Singh was accused by his wife Shalini Talwar of domestic abuse and adultery. She filed a 120-page petition, detailing all her allegations against him at Delhi's Tis Hazari Court. She specifically mentioned how the singer's attitude towards her changed when the couple reached Mauritius for their honeymoon in 2011. The petition also stated that Honey Singh did not allow Shalini to accompany him on his tours and had frequent casual sex with multiple women. Hindustan Times
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Tina Thadani (actor, filmmaker)
|Marriage Date||23 January 2011|
|Wife/Spouse||Shalini Talwar Singh (m. 2011-div. 2022)
|Parents||Father- Sardaar Sarabjit Singh
Mother- Bhupinder Kaur (spiritual healer)
|Siblings||Sister- Sneha Singh
|Car Collection||• Audi R8 V10 Deccan Chronicle
• Rolls Royce Phantom Series 2
• Audi Q7
• Jaguar XJL Supercharged
• BMW Amar Ujala
|Bike Collection||Harley-Davidson Amar Ujala|
|Assets/Properties||As of 2022, he owns a house in Punjab which is around Rs 3 crore. He owns a few other properties worth Rs 180 crore. Amar Ujala|
|Salary/Income||• Rs 70 lakh for a song in film
• Rs 12 crore annually (as of 2022) Amar Ujala
|Net Worth||As of 2022, his total net worth is estimated around Rs 200 crores. Amar Ujala|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Yo Yo Honey Singh
- Yo Yo Honey Singh is an Indian music producer, composer, rapper, singer, lyricist, and actor.
- As a kid, he started singing devotional songs in gurudwaras. There, he used to play the tabla as well. Gradually, he started developing an interest in music.
- In childhood, he used to perform in various spiritual events organised in his locality.
- In his teens, he was influenced by the African-American slang ‘Yo Yo’ (which means Apka Apna) used by his friends. Later, Honey Singh started using Yo Yo as a prefix to his name.
- In his teens, he started performing at various stage shows and events in Punjab and Delhi.
- He then started writing and composing songs. He mainly focused on rap songs. In 2009, he collaborated with the Punjabi singer Diljit Dosanjh for the Punjabi music album ‘The Next Level. The music album includes songs like Panga, Los Angeles LA, and Ru Ba Ru.
- In 2011, Honey Singh, along with Diljit Dosanjh, released another Punjabi song “Lak 28 Kudi Da.” The song was an instant hit, and it was ranked no. 1 on BBC Asian Download Charts.
- In 2011, he worked as a music producer in the Punjabi music album ‘Alfaaz – The Boy Next Door,’ sung by the Punjabi singer Alfaaz. The songs “Haye Mera Dil” and “Yaar Bathere” from the album became very popular among the audience.
- In November 2011, Honey Singh released another Punjabi music album titled ‘International Villager.’ The album became very popular, especially the songs Brown Rang, Angreji Beat (featuring Gippy Grewal), Goliyan (featuring Diljit Dosanjh), Dope Shope (featuring Deep Money), and Gabru (featuring J-Star). In 2012, the music video “Brown Rang” became the most-viewed YouTube video. Business Standard In the same year, Honey collaborated with Jaz Dhami for the Punjabi song “High Heels,” which was a massive hit.
- Some of his other popular Punjabi singles are Blue Eyes (2013), Desi Kalakaar (2014), Love Dose (2014), Dheere Dheere (2015), and Makhna (2018).
- In 2012, he lent his voice to the song “Mujhe Neat Pila De Sajna” from the Hindi film ‘Mastaan.’ He charged Rs 70 lakh for the song and became the highest-ever paid singer for a Bollywood song in 2012. Hindustan Times
- Apart from Punjabi songs, he has also sung songs in other regional languages. His regional songs include Achko Machko (2013; Gujarati), and Ethir Neechal (2013; Tamil).
- Yo Yo Honey Singh’s Punjabi song “Angreji Beat” was included in the Hindi film ‘Cocktail’ in 2012.
- He has lent his voice to many Hindi film songs such as Party All Night (2013), Lungi Dance (2013), Chaar Botal Vodka (2014), and Sunny Sunny (2015).
- Honey Singh has also worked as an actor. In 2013, he played the role of Rolly in the Punjabi film ‘Tu Mera 22 Main Tera 22.’
- In 2014, the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee and Akali Dal (comprising of Former Chief Minister of Punjab Parkash Singh Badal) approached Honey Singh to sing in the favour of BJP leaders Parvesh Verma and Narendra Modi during a road show at Madipur Metro Station, Delhi. However, this was not well received by the Sikhs in Delhi and they criticised the Shiromani Akali Dal for using Honey Singh to get votes during the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. According to the sources, the Sikhs there were more offended because they considered Honey Singh a disgrace to the Sikh community and considered his songs lustful and arrogant. Sikh24.com
- Yo Yo Honey Singh was ranked #16 in the Forbes magazine’s ‘2014 celebrity 100’ list. Forbes India
- In 2016, he played the lead role in the Punjabi film ‘Zorawar.’
- In the same year, he lent his voice to the song “High Heels” from the Hindi film ‘Ki & Ka.’
- In 2016, he was diagnosed with bipolar disease after which he took a break from the music industry. However, some media sources claimed that he was in a rehab centre to get rid of his addiction to drugs and alcohol. NDTV Later, Honey Singh denied the rumours and said that he took a break from his career as he was suffering from bipolar disease. In an interview, while talking about it, he said,
I didn’t come out of my room, forget stepping out of the house. I had a beard and I didn’t get a haircut for months. For someone who has performed in front of a crowd of 20,000, I was scared of facing 4-5 people.”
- In 2018, he made a comeback with the Bollywood song “Dil Chori Sada Ho Gaya” from the film ‘Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety.’
- Once, there were rumours that the Indian actor Shah Rukh Khan slapped Honey Singh. However, in an interview, Honey Singh’s ex-wife Shalini Talwar denied all such rumours. News 18 She said,
No incident as such had ever happened. Shahrukh Khan has never slapped Honey Singh. In fact, Shah Rukh Khan at several occasions has helped and supported us. Shahrukh Khan treats Honey Singh as his younger brother. A few years back Honey Singh was not doing good with his health and doctors had strictly advised him not to travel but he did as he had made commitments. Shah Rukh Khan on seeing Honey Singh’s condition during the tour asked him to rest and not to perform if he wasn’t able to.”
- In 2022, Honey Singh released a few more Punjabi songs like “Paris Ka Trip,” “Together Forever,” “Gatividhi,” and “Pankhudi.”
- Some of his popular Bollywood songs are “Care Ni Karda” from ‘Chhalaang’ (2020), “Shor Machega” from ‘Mumbai Saga’ (2021), “De Taali” from ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2’ (2022).
- In 2022, on his Instagram account, he shared a video of the first award he ever received.
View this post on Instagram
- Honey is often spotted drinking alcohol at parties and events. The Times of India In an interview, he confessed being an alcoholic. He said,
I must confess that I was bipolar and an alcoholic, which aggravated the condition.”
- He has a big birthmark on his left bicep, which is often confused with a tattoo.
- He used to own a WagonR car.
- On 18 October 2022, Honey Singh uploaded a photo of him holding the hand of a girl on his Instagram account. In an interview, Honey Singh shared that he was in love with a girl to whom he dedicated his music album ‘Honey Singh 3.0.’ On 6 December 2022, Yo Yo Honey Singh was spotted walking hand-in-hand with the Canadian actor and filmmaker Tina Thadani at an event in Delhi. Later, at the event, while introducing Tina to the media, Honey Singh said,
Meri girlfriend baethi hai Tina, isne mujhe ye naam dia hai. Isne bola ki you are Honey 3.0 This is the third one (my girlfriend Tina is sitting here, she has given me this name, Honey 3.0).”