|Famous For||• Rescuing injured people during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, investigating the Harshad Mehta
• Ketan Parekh scam cases
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 179 cm
in meters- 1.79 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 9”
|Year of Joining||1989|
|Positions Held||• Additional Superintendent of Police (1989-1992)
• Deputy Commissioner of Police (1992-1994)
• Superintendent of Police (1994-1996)
• Superintendent of Police (CID) (1996-1998)
• Superintendent of Police (CBI) (1998-2002)
• DIG CBI, New Delhi (2002-2008)
• Special Inspector General of Police (IGP) and Director (vigilance and security) (2008-2010)
• Additional Commissioner of Police, Mumbai (2014)
• Commissioner of Navi Mumbai (2016-2018)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• President's Police Medal
• Vishesh Seva Padak
• Antarik Suraksha Padak
|Date of Birth||1962|
|Age (as of 2021)||59 Years|
|School||• Zila Parishad School, Bhadrawati (Till 6th standard)
• Patwardhan High School, Nagpur
|College/University||• Visvesvaraya Regional College of Engineering, Nagpur
• Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
|Educational Qualification(s) Hindustan Times||• Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Master's degree in Finance Management
|Controversy||Hemant Nagrale got married to Pratima in 1989, and after 20 years of their marriage, Pratima decided to file for divorce. The couple was facing problems in their marriage as Hemant had said that Pratima was mentally unstable and he wished to file for divorce to stay away from her. Later, Pratima filed a complaint against Hemant in a police station, stating that Hemant had been physically torturing her to get a divorce. The family court granted the couple permission to dissolve their marriage. However, the Bombay High Court dismissed the orders, saying that the family court had made the wrong judgement and the divorce orders were cancelled. Mumbai Mirror|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Namdeo Nagrale (Image in sibling section)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||He has an elder brother, Dilip Nagrale
Some Lesser Known Facts About Hemant Nagrale
- Hemant Nagrale is the new police commissioner of Mumbai. Earlier, he was appointed as the director-general of police.
- While serving his tenure as the Special IGP for director of vigilance and security at Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL), Hemant revamped the MPKAY (Maharashtra Police Kutumb Arogya Yojana) scheme and helped in reducing the expenditure by Rs. 10 crores in 2011-2012.
- Hemant Nagrale is a golfer and a tennis player, and he has a black belt in Judo. Hemant also follows a strict fitness routine to stay healthy.
- In March 2021, Amid the Mukesh Ambani Bomb scare, the Maharashtra Government transferred the former Mumbai police commissioner Param Bir Singh to another branch. Due to unfortunate circumstances, his transfer was not ceremonious, and Param Bir left the office without addressing the newly appointed commissioner Hemant Nagrale.
- Hemant Nagrale played a crucial role in the 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attacks as he shifted the bag containing RDX away from the people and alerted the bomb disposal squad. He also helped in rescuing people from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.
- In an interview with NDTV, Hemant Nagrale said that the Mumbai police is going through a tough phase, and he would work on improving the bad image of the Mumbai police and restore people’s faith in the force. He also said-
The probe will be carried out in a proper manner. I am confident of it,” Mr Nagrale said, adding that those responsible will not be spared. “At a time when confidence in police is low, I am thankful that the government chose me…Mumbai police is going through a turmoil because of bad instances,”