Age: 48 Years
Wife: Preety Ali (Divorced)
|Profession||Film Director and Writer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 10”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 74 kg
in Pounds- 163 lbs
|Body Measurements (approx.)||- Chest: 40 Inches
- Waist: 32 Inches
- Biceps: 12 Inches
|Date of Birth||16 June 1971|
|Age (as in 2019)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Jamshedpur, Jharkhand , India|
|Hometown||Darbhanga, Bihar, India|
|School||St. Michael's High School, Patna, India
D.B.M.S. English School, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India
|College||Hindu College, University of Delhi
Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai, India
|Educational Qualification||A diploma in Filmmaking from Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai|
|Debut||Film (Director): Socha Na Tha (2005)
Film (Actor): Black Friday (2004)
TV: Imtihaan (1995)
|Family||Father- Mansoor Ali
Mother- Name Not Known
Brothers- Arif Ali, Sajid Ali (younger)
Sister- Not Known
|Film||Bollywood: Junoon (1979)
Hollywood: The English Patient (1996)
In the Mood for Love (Hong Kong Film, 2000)
Chungking Express (Hong Kong Film, 1994)
Map of the Human Heart (New Zealand Film, 1993)
Prisoner of the Mountains (Russian Film, 1996)
|Musician||A. R. Rahman|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Iman Ali, Pakistani Actress (present)
|Wife/Spouse||Preety Ali, Producer (div. 2012)
Daughter- Ida Ali
|Net Worth||Not Known|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Imtiaz Ali
- Does Imtiaz Ali smoke:? Yes
- Does Imtiaz Ali drink alcohol:? Yes
- He was born in Jamshedpur and brought up in Patna and Jamshedpur.
- His father was an employee of the Irrigation Department.
- He often accompanied his father, which gave him a view of the innards of India.
- He is the brother of director Arif Ali, who made his directorial debut with the film- Lekar Hum Deewana Dil (2014).
- During his mid-term schooling, he stayed with his aunt at Krim Mansion in Jamshedpur. The house was attached to a Cinema Hall and he often used to watch films for free. He made the projectionist of the Cinema Hall his friend and used to see him changing the Film-Reels.
- He wasn’t good at studies and failed in the 9th standard. The failure jolted his inner-soul, however, his father encouraged him to work hard and pursue the Civil Services.
- He came to Delhi and attended Hindu College, University of Delhi.
- He also prepared for the Civil Services, however, he developed an interest in Drama and started Ibtida, the dramatics society of the Hindu College.
- After completing his education in Delhi, he moved to Mumbai and did a course in filmmaking from Xavier Institution of Communication.
- He also did a course in advertising and marketing to become a copywriter.
- He was hired by Kunal Kohli as a glorified tape boy with a monthly salary of Rs 1,500 at Zee TV.
- He joined Crest Communications and his job was to feed TV programmers as a writer. He had to sit for 17 hours a day in front of the computer.
- He wrote the script of Socha Na Tha and when he came to know that Sunny Deol was looking for a script to launch his paternal cousin Abhay Deol, he approached Sunny Deol who agreed to work with him.
- In 2014, he made a film titled Highway. The film received critical acclaims for its uniqueness. In fact, Highway was his first film, the script of which he had written 20 years before its release.
- In an interview, he revealed that he is very confused about his personality, which is often reflected in the characters of his movies.
- In April 2020, amid the nationwide lockdown in wake of Corona outbreak, he took to Instagram to share the memory of his first car, a Maruti 800. His Instagram post reads,
“my first car, it’s first highway run – to Goa! yeah, going down memory lane during lockdown 😊 #HappinessInLockdown… Thanks Tara for looking for the picture.”