Some Lesser Known Facts About J. P. Dutta
- Does J.P. Dutta smoke?: Not Known
- Does J. P. Dutta drink alcohol?: Not Known
- Dutta is best known for his war-related movies.
- He had to abandon his first film ‘Sarhad’ due to the money factors.
- His brother, Deepak Dutta, was a squadron leader in the Indian Air Force who died on duty. Dutta’s first film ‘Sarhad’ starring Vinod Khanna, which was not released, was a tribute to him.
- He met Bindiya Goswami at the set of his first film ‘Sarhad’ in 1976. At that time, Bindiya was married to Vinod Mehra but her relationship with Vinod was not well. The love between Dutta and Bindiya got intense in the early 1980s and the two got married in 1985.
- His film ‘Border’ was the first Indian film that symbolized Pakistan as an enemy.
- When he was filming Border, he was facing a problem of granting approvals for the movie. At that time P. V. Narasimha Rao was the prime minister of the country. Dutta sent him a note, requesting for approval and help for the movie. It is said that Narasimha Rao replied that this movie must be filmed.
- Ajay Devgan was offered a lead role in his blockbuster movie ‘Border,’ but he declined the offer because he did not want to act in a multi starer movie. But Ajay Devgan accepted the offer of his other movie, ‘LOC Kargil’ in which, he had portrayed the role of Param Vir Chakra Awardee Manoj Pandey.
- After the release of Border movie, a Police Commissioner phoned him and said that Dutta’s life was in danger. Meanwhile, Dutta received so many threats. So, from the police department, two armed men were sent for his security.
- Having been influenced by his ‘Border’, a Brigadier went to Mumbai to meet him and stayed there for one week and asked Dutta to make another movie like Border. But at that time, Dutta was receiving threats so, his family did not support this idea.
- Dutta’s father, O.P. Dutta, remained active in the film industry for 60 years. He used to write dialogues for his son’s movies.
- Actor Abhishek Bachchan and Actress Kareena Kapoor started their career through his movie Refugee (2000).
- After becoming a director, J. P. used to live in a one bedroom flat in Mahim area of Mumbai.
- As per his wife, Bindiya Goswami, “Dutta is introvert, we are quite different from each other. He hardly speaks and I speak a lot. He is not romantic at all. I love travelling but he loves sitting at home.”
- J.P. Dutta and Saif Ali Khan‘s first wife Amrita Singh were very good friends. He got sad when Amrita was divorced.
- Interestingly, When he went to Ajmer and prayed at Ajmer Sharif Dargah, he was blessed with a daughter Nidhi Dutta and when he prayed at Siddhivinayak temple, his second daughter Siddhi Dutta was born.
- Most of his films have been shot in Rajasthan because this place has always enchanted him a lot.
- He also owns the production company named J. P. Gene.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)