Husband: Kiran Bhatia
Hometown: Delhi, India
Age: 52 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jayati Bhatia
- Jayati Bhatia is an Indian actress who became a household face after she played the role of Nirmala “Mataji” Bharadwaj in the Indian Hindi-language TV serial ‘Sasural Simar Ka,’ which aired on Colours TV. She appeared as Dr. Sarla Desai in the popular OTT show ‘Girls Hostel’ (seasons 1 & 2), which aired on SonyLIV.
- She is an Orissa-born Bengali who spent her childhood in Delhi.
- When Jayati was young, she took training in classical dance and pursued it for seventeen years. Initially, her mother, Chhoba Chatterjee, encouraged her to learn Bharatanatyam; however, they later introduced Odissi, an Indian classical dance form, to her and she underwent professional training in Odissi from Mayadhar Raut, who was honoured with Padma Shri in 2010.
- She took acting classes for four years from Ebrahim Alkazi, who directed many celebrated actors such as Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri, and Om Shivpuri. In an interview, while talking about Ebrahim Alkazi, Bhatia said,
He changed me as an artist, I became a better dancer and a better actress.”
- In an interview, Jayati admitted that she found western dance forms difficult as compared to the others.
- On 1 July 1997, Jayati shifted to Mumbai from Delhi to begin her acting career.
- Before appearing on television, Jayati was a theatre artist. During her first play, she met Kiran Bhatia, who she married later. It was Kiran who pushed Jayati to be more active in theatre.
- In 1995, she made her television debut with the series Challenge in which she played the role of Khushnuma. Later, she appeared in many Indian Hindi-language series including Tu Tu Main Main (1996), Itihaas (2000), Kasautii Zindagii Kay (2003), Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (2003), Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka (2005), and Naamkarann (2018).
- In 2007, she made her Bollywood debut with the film ’68 Pages’ in which she played the role of Paayal. The film won the Silver Remi award at WorldFest Houston International Film Festival 2008, USA.
- Later, she appeared in many films including Barah Aana (2005), Rough Book (2015), and The Wishing Tree (2017).
- In 2008, she participated in an Indian dance TV series titled Saas v/s Bahu, which aired on Sahara One. Jayati was teamed up with actress Chhavi Mittal and they both won the show.
- In 2011, Jayanti won an Indian cooking show titled Kitchen Champion-season 4, hosted by Arjun Bijlani.
- In 2012, she participated in the dance TV show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa- season 5.
- In 2019, she made her OTT debut with the series Punnch Beat. Later, she appeared in several OTT shows including Bhoot Purva (2019), and Tansener Tanpura (2020).
- Jayati has worked in several plays including Mad About Money, Acid, and Khatijabai of Karmali Terrace. She portrayed Kasturba Gandhi in a play titled ‘Mahatma Vs Gandhi’ alongside Boman Irani who portrayed Mahatma Gandhi.
- In 2021, Jayati revealed that she aspires to ride a Harley Davidson bike someday. She even mentioned for that she would have to learn how to ride a bicycle properly. Instagram – Jayati Bhatia