Death Cause: Heart Attack
Age: 54 Years
Death Date: 16/10/1990
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in feet & inches- 5’5”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 67 kg
in pounds- 147 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Debut||Film: Ashadh Ka Ek Din (1971) as Vilom
|Last Film||Aakhri Sanghursh (1997) as Patel's Partner|
|Date of Birth||14 July 1936|
|Birthplace||Patiala, Punjab, British India|
|Date of Death||16 October 1991|
|Place of Death||Bombay, Maharashtra, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||54 Years|
|Death Cause||Heart Attack citation|
|College/University||National School of Drama, New Delhi, India|
|Caste||Kashmiri Brahmin citation|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Children||Son- Vineet Shivpuri (Director)
Daughter- Ritu Shivpuri (Actress)
|Parents||Father- Raj Narain Shivpuri
Mother- Raj Naraini Shivpuri
Some Lesser Known Facts About Om Shivpuri
- Om Shivpuri was a popular Indian actor in Bollywood films, who had contributed to more than 150 films in Hindi cinema. He mostly played character roles and supporting roles in Bollywood films.
- He belonged to a family of Kashmiri Pandits and started working at All India Radio, in Jaipur, at a young age.
- He met Sudha Shivpuri while working at All India Radio, who he married later on in life.
- He got into the National School of Drama, in Delhi, through a scholarship and Sudha Shivpuri joined him.
- He went on to become the first chief of the National School of Drama Repertory Company in 1964.
- He directed the play written by Girish Karnad, in 1965, which was first staged at the National School of Drama, named “Tuglaq”.
- Gulzar’s Koshish (1972) was one of his most significant films when he entered Bollywood which helped him bag more roles in the movies.
- Om Shivpuri was offered Pran’s role in the movie Heer Raanjha (1970) but, he refused to do it.
- Om Shivpuri was part of thirty-one films with Rajesh Khanna as the lead.
- Basu Bhattacharya was going to produce a film named “Aadhe Adhure” with Om Shivpuri as the director but that couldn’t happen due to the fallout between them.
- Om Shivpuri’s daughter Ritu Shivpuri featured as a heroine in Aankhen (1993) alongside, Govinda and Chunky Pandey.
- Om Shivpuri’s wife Sudha Shivpuri is fairly popular among the audience for her role of “Baa” in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.
- For his contribution to Indian theatre and drama, a five-day theatre festival called Om Shivpuri Memorial Drama Festival is conducted every year.