Marital Status: Widow
Age: 67 Years
Husband: Parshuram Bandurkar
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kalavati Bandurkar
- Kalavati Bandurkar is an Indian farmer who gained widespread attention, first in 2008 when Rahul Gandhi visited her residence, and then again in 2023 when her name was mentioned by Amit Shah during a speech in the Indian Parliament.
- Following her marriage, she established her residence in Jalna village, located in the Yavatmal district of Maharashtra, India. She frequently engages in agricultural activities by renting agricultural lands and cultivating crops on them.
- Kalavati Bandurkar gained prominence in May 2008 when prominent Indian politician Rahul Gandhi paid a visit to her residence and shared a meal with her family. He later referenced her during a speech in the parliament in 2009.
- This event garnered support from various NGOs and farmer groups. An NGO named Sulabh International, under the leadership of Bindeshwar Pathak, established a Fixed Deposit (FD) of Rs 30 Lakhs in the Maragaon branch of the Central Bank of India for her. She receives a monthly interest of approximately Rs 25,000 from this account. Zee News
- Supported by the Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS), Kalavati was encouraged to enter politics and contribute to the betterment of her region. She took steps to contest the 2009 Maharashtra Legislative Assembly elections as an independent candidate from the Wani constituency, backed by the VJAS; however, due to her health concerns, she decided to withdraw her nominations. India Today
- Kishor Tiwari, the head of VJAS, revealed that her son-in-law had issued threats of suicide if she went ahead with her candidacy. Tiwari also highlighted that Congress workers had pressured Kalavati to retract her decision to contest the elections. Mid-Day
- During his Lok Sabha speech on 9 August 2023, Amit Shah, the Indian Home Minister and a leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), referred to Kalavati Bandurkar. In his speech, he humorously remarked that it was the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, not Rahul Gandhi, who had extended assistance to Kalavati by providing her with a house, gas cylinder, and essential amenities.
- In November 2022, Kalavati Bandurkar participated in Rahul Gandhi‘s Bharat Jodo Yatra. The Times of India