Some Lesser Known Facts About Laxmi Agarwal
- She was born to a middle-class family in New Delhi.
- In 2005, at the age of 15, Laxmi survived an awful acid attack by a 32-year-old man, Gudda a.k.a Nahim Khan, and his 2 other friends because had rejected Gudda’s marriage proposal.
- In 2006, she had filed a PIL in which she pleaded for a total ban on the sale of acid, citing the expanding number of incidents of acid attacks on women.
- After she recovered from the attack, she did not put herself in isolation and instead she started campaigning for ‘Stop Acid Attacks’ and worked as a campaign coordinator.
- Gradually, her work made her the voice of all the acid attack survivors across the world.
- She introduced her own campaign, ‘StopSaleAcid.’ Because of her dedicated work, she was awarded many awards in India.
- In 2013, the Supreme Court regulated a new set of rules prevailing the sale of acid in India in which a person below the age of 18 could not purchase acids and an identity card should be produced by the customer before purchasing an acid.
- Laxmi and other survivors of acid attacks stood together and started a hunger strike for the rehabilitation of such survivors and also to achieve an immediate legal justice.
- In 2014, she started hosting a television show, Udaan, airing on New Express.
- In 2014, she met Alok Dixit and they fell for each other instantly. The couple decided to challenge the taboos of Indian society by not getting married and started living with each other.
- According to Laxmi, the main reason for not getting married was that in Indian marriages, the bride is expected to be very beautiful. She says that people would judge Laxmi on her appearance on her wedding day so they decided not to get married ever.
- She along with her partner, Alok, founded an NGO, Chhanv Foundation. The couple together has a daughter, Pihu. However, they split sometime later the birth of their daughter.
- Laxmi, whose face and other body parts got totally disfigured after the acid attack, stands tall as an example of sheer courage and became the face of the brand, ‘Viva n Diva campaign.’
- In 2014, she was honored with the International Women of Courage Award presented by the First Lady, Michelle Obama.
- In 2016, she walked the ramp at London Fashion Week.
- In 2018, Laxmi disclosed that she had been facing a great difficulty in finding a job which could fulfill her basic needs of life. She revealed that she did not study after 10th but claims to be an experienced beautician but her disfigured face becomes a hurdle everytime in front of her.
- In 2018, Deepika Padukone was signed to play the role of Laxmi in her biopic and also turned producer with the film in collaboration with the director, Meghna Gulzar.
📢⚡TRENDING: URI is surging to become a Blockbuster, check the salary of Uri actors here⚡