Religion: Islam (Converted)
Age: 71 Years
Wife: Soni Razdan
|Profession(s)||Film Director, Producer and Screenwriter|
|Directorial Journey||• At the Age of 26, he made his debut as a director with the film Manzilein Aur Bhi Hain in 1974.
• He directed film Lahu Ke Do Rang, starring Shabana Azmi and Vinod Khanna in lead roles, won two Filmfare Awards in 1980.
• His Directed movie Aashiqui in 1990 was Bhatt's one of his biggest releases and it was highly commercially successful movie due to a hugely popular soundtrack by Nadeem-Shravan in that time.
• Pooja Bhatt, his daughter was launched by him in 1991 as a lead actress opposite to Aamir Khan in Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin.
• From 1990 until 1999, he directed many movies and TV series like Sir(1993), A Mouthful of Sky(TV Serial, written by Ashok Banker), Swabhimaan(TV serial, scripted by writer Shobha De), Dastak(1996), Tamanna (1997), Zakhm (1998).
• In 1999, he directed his last Movie 'Kartoos' and thereafter he took up screenwriting and screenplays for over twenty films, many of which were box-office successes, like Dushman, Raaz, Murder (2004), Gangster (2006), Woh Lamhe (2006).
|Awards & Nominations||Awards won in 1984
Filmfare Award for Best Dialogue for Earth Movie
Awards won in 1994
National Film Award – Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) for Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke
Awards won in 1997
National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi for Gudia
National Film Award for Best Film on Other Social Issues for Tamanna
National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Urdu for Sardari Begum
Awards won in 1999
Filmfare Award for Best Story for Zakhma
Awards won in 2000
Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration for Zakhma
Awards won in 2003
IIFA Award for Best Screenplay for Raaz
Zee Cine Award for Best Screenplay for Raaz
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper, Semi Bald|
|Date of Birth||20 September 1948|
|Age (as in 2019)||71 Years|
|Birthplace||Bombay, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Don Bosco High School, Matunga, Mumbai|
|Family||Father- Nanabhai Bhatt
Mother- Shirin Mohammad Ali
Brother- Mukesh Bhatt
|Controversies||• Mahesh Bhatt's Son Rahul Bhatt has always sour relations with father. He even went on to say that had Mahesh not treated him like a bastard child, he would probably never had become friends with David Headley, the accused in the Mumbai terror attacks.
• He criticized many Bollywood actors in a show coffee with Karan, he called Sanjay Leela Bhansali an overrated director and called Barfi an overrated film. But what left Karan at a loss for words was when he called Kajol the most over-rated actress in Bollywood. In the same show, he said some nasty words for Amir Khan.
• In the 1980s, He smooched his daughter Puja Bhatt for a Magazine cover page and said if Pooja were not my daughter, I would love to marry her.
• Amid the nepotism row, following the death of Sushant Singh Rajput, Mahesh Bhatt was criticized for allegedly terming him a mentally disturbed person. According to Suhrita Sengupta' article, which was published in the National Herald, Bhatt had called Sushant a schizophrenic and said, "It is Parveen Babi all over again.” Suhrita Sengupta is a writer and close associate of filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt. She further wrote that Sushant's rumoured girlfriend, Rhea Chakraborty had left Sushant on the advise of Mahesh Bhatt. She wrote - "She had no choice. Bhatt Saab told her there was nothing she could do. If she stayed on she would lose her sanity too. Rhea waited for Sushant’s sister to come to Mumbai and take charge. Sushant’s sisters tried their best to support and comfort him. But he was beyond listening to anyone. He wouldn’t take his medication.” National Herald
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Lorraine Bright (later Kiran Bhatt)
|Wife/Spouse||Kiran Bhatt (Divorced)
|Children||Son- Rahul Bhatt
Daughters- Pooja Bhatt, Alia Bhatt
|Net Worth||$48 Million|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mahesh Bhatt
- Does Mahesh Bhatt smoke?: Yes
- Does Mahesh Bhatt drink alcohol?: Yes
- Mahesh Bhatt inherited the legacy of his father of being Director, his Father Nanabhai Bhatt was also in the same profession. Nanabhai’s career lasted 40 years from 1942 until 1982.
- Saaransh, which was directed by Bhatt, was India’s official submission for the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in 1985.
- Bhatt has a relation with actor Emraan Hashmi and director Milan Luthria. His mother was the sister of both Hashmi’s grandmother and Luthria’s grandmother.
- Mahesh Bhatt co-owns the film production company Vishesh Films, along with his brother Mukesh Bhatt. The company is named after Mukesh’s son Vishesh, right now, Vishesh is film Producer.
- Bhatt follows a philosopher UG Krishnamurti (also known as Jiddu Krishnamurti). Bhatt even wrote Krishnamurti’s biography titled “U.G. Krishnamurti, A Life” in 1992. Later, in 2009, he wrote another book titled “A Taste of Life: The Last Days of UG Krishnamurti”. Bhatt was at Krishnamurti’s bedside when he died in Vallecrosia in Italy and had his guru cremated.
- Bhatt made his debut as playback singer this year in the Emraan Hashmi’s starring movie, Mr. X in which he sang the title song. As Bhatt explained, “Every time before we record a song first I sing it.
- Bhatt counts on the Congress party is committed to secularism. In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, he campaigned in a Karvan-e-Bedari (caravan of awareness) asking people to vote for Congress and defeat BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, as he believes that Narendra Modi is communal. Bhatt also criticizes the communal record of Congress Party, for its role in Rajiv Gandhi Sponsored 1984 Sikh genocide.