Hometown: Indore, Madhya Pradesh
Education: Master Of Social Work
Husband: Gyanendra Purohit
|Birth name||Monica Sharma|
|Other Names||Monica Sharma Purohit, Monica Gyanendra Purohit iWGA - Monica Purohit Profile|
|Profession||Special Educationist, Social Worker & Rehabilitation Professional|
|Famous For||Being the co-founder of an organization called 'Anand Service Society,' which works for deaf and impaired people in India.|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Rotary International District 3040 - Teacher Excellence Award in 2020
• FICCI Flow Women Achiever Award 2018 by CM of MP Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan and Steel Secretary of India Mrs Aruna Sharma
• Rotary Nation Builder Award for Excellent Service for Deaf and Speech Impaired Children and Women in 2017
• Recognized as one of the 100 Women Achiever of India by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development in collaboration with Facebook in 2016
• Zee Women Achiever Award for the upliftment of deaf children and women empowerment in 2016
• Swaraj Women Excellence Award for the upliftment of deaf children and women empowerment in 2016
• Gurjar Goud 1st Ratna Samman in 2016
• Rotary Club Award for Excellent Service for deaf children and women in 2016
• Honoured with Rashtriya Swayam Siddh Samman by Jindal Steel Foundation in 2016
• Innerwheel Club Award 2015- 2016 for excellent service for deaf children and women
• Alex Memorial Award in 2012
• Honoured by Indore Nagar Nigam as the Best Teacher Amongst the Special Educator Category
• Honoured by Indore Traffic Police for Creative Contribution to the Society by Deaf Women and children
|Date of Birth||14 February 1976 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||44 Years|
|Birthplace||Indore, Madhya Pradesh|
|Hometown||Indore, Madhya Pradesh|
|College/University||Indore School of Social Work|
|Educational Qualification 100 Women Achiever of India||• B.Sc. in Geology
• Diploma in Fashion Designing and Marketing
• B.Ed. in Deaf Education
• Master of Social Work from Indore School of Social Work
• M.Ed. in Teachers and Special Education
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||18 May 2001|
|Children||Son(s)- Sarthak Purohit, Chinmay Purohit
|Parents||Father- PD Sharma (Branch Manager at State Bank of India Indore)
Mother- Pushpa Sharma (works at Anand Service Society)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Monica Purohit
- Monica Purohit is an Indore based social worker, special educationist, and rehabilitation professional. She is the co-founder and director of Anand Service Society, an organization working for the impaired in the country.
- When she was pursuing her graduation in fashion designing, she used to do sketching and acting as a part of extracurricular activities.
- Monica was a member of the student working committee of her college from 1998 to 2000.
- While studying at Indore School of Social Work, Monica met Gyanendra, and the couple fell in love with each other since then.
- In 1997, Monica and her husband, Gyanendra Purohit, founded Anand Service Society, an organization for the deaf and impaired in the memory of her husband’s brother, Anand, who was deaf and mute and died in a train accident in 1997.
- Anand Service Society helps the impaired (women and children) who are in need of education, training, and employment assistance. The organization operates mainly from Indore and tribal and rural areas of Madhya Pradesh like Dhar and Alirajpur (the most illiterate district of India).
- Monica has educated many deaf-dumb children and helped them to gain the confidence to live like normal people.
- Through the organization, Monica and her advocate husband, Gyanendra Purohit, were able to make lives of numerous impaired people. They succeeded in providing deaf children access to normal schools, reservations by the state government to deaf-mute on the teacher post, reservation quota for deaf people in government ITI colleges and their admission in it, making BERA testing compulsory for governments jobs, and much more.
- Monica is also a state-level women coordinator of M.P Deaf & Dumb Police Helpline. The helpline is run by Indore Police in conjunction with the Anand Service Society.
- She also worked at the NGO Mahesh Drishtiheen Kalyan Sangh Teacher Training Unit in Indore and Tata International Ltd. (a trading and distributing company) in Dewas, Indore, before starting her journey as a social activist.
- Monica has also opened a CODA club for the normal children of deaf adults, who share similar issues and problems.
- In 2003, Monica and Gyanendra Purohit composed the national anthem in sign language. Monica and Gyanendra became the first ones to compose the national anthem in sign language, which was recognized by the then Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- In 2005, Monica and her husband translated the blockbuster Bollywood films Sholey (1975), Gandhi (1982), Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. (2003), and Taare Zameen Par (2007) in sign language.
- Monica and her husband have also started India’s first deaf and speech impaired friendly police station at Tukoganj Police Station Indore with MP Police.
- In 2015, Monica and Gyanendra made an appearance in BBC’s production of ‘Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi,’ a talk show that was hosted by Amitabh Bachchan and aired on Star Plus.
- In 2017, Monica and her husband were seen on Zee Entertainment’s ‘DSC Show,’ a talk show hosted by Dr Subhash Chandra.
- Monica and her husband with Anand Service Society helped in saving the lives of more than 500 deaf people through video call helpline (launched nationally) in sign language, during the lockdown in the covid pandemic.
- Monica and Gyanendra have also taught sign languages to Narmada Jhabua Gramin Bank employees, which made the bank India’s first deaf-friendly bank.
- Sudeep Shukla, a deaf-mute who contested state assembly election from Satna, Madhya Pradesh in 2018, was helped by Monica and Gyanendra. They helped him give his election speech. Sudeep is the first deaf and mute MLA candidate in India.
- In 2020, Monica and her husband appeared in the Karamveer Special of the game show Kaun Banega Crorepati, hosted by Amitabh Bachchan.
References/Sources: [ + ]