|Birth name||Aizya Joshi The Hindu|
|Nickname||Charu Naaz Joshi-Facebook|
|Profession(s)||• Transgender International Beauty Queen
• Trans Rights Activists
• Motivational Speaker
|Famous For||Being the first transgender International beauty queen of India|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Figure Measurements (approx.)||32-38-38|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• After completing her graduation, Naaz worked for gender sensitisation with former Member of Parliament Dr. Udit Raj.
• She has worked on women awareness about constitutional rights and menstural hygiene.
• She is brand ambassador of Tritan Solutions Pvt Ltd.
• She was invited to TedX in 2019 in Mathura.
|Date of Birth||31 December 1984 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||36 Years|
|College/University||• Foundation degree from St. joseph academy
• Studied design in Pearl Academy
• Studied Knitwear design and Technology at NIFT
• Aviation/Airway Management and Operations from Frankfinn institute of air hostess
• Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in International Marketing from Institute of Management Technology, HYDERABAD
|Educational Qualification||Post graduation in M.B.A from Institute of Management Technology, HYDERABAD Naaz Joshi- Linkedin|
|Political Inclination||Indian National Congress Naaz Joshi- Twitter|
|Controversy||In 2019, Naaz Joshi accused a hotel staff of gender discrimination after they refused to book 20 rooms in the hotel for a Queen Universe 2019 pageant. She said that she was in touch with the sales manager of the hotel for two months but a general manager cancelled her booking after he got to know about her gender. The staff denied the allegation saying that booking 20 rooms for one guest was not possible, and it required the permission of the RSO. Naaz also took to Facebook about the issue. The Hindu|
|Tattoo||She has a peacock feather tattoo on her back.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||May 2019|
|Husband/Spouse||Name not known
|Children||Daughters- She adopted a girl in 2018 and named her Manikarnika.
She adopter another girl in 2020 whose name is Sharanaya Joshi.
|Parents||Father- Name Not Known
Mother- Name Not Known
|Siblings||Brother- Name not known
Sister- Name not known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Naaz Joshi
- Does Naaz Joshi drink alcohol?: Yes
- Naaz Joshi was born as a boy named Aizya Joshi. Her mother was a Muslim, and her father was a Hindu Punjabi.
- During her early years in school, her male teachers used to teach her how to walk like a boy, but she could never do so as she always felt she was a girl. Her schoolmates would always make fun of her for her gender.
- When she was seven, she was sent to one of her relatives’ houses in Mumbai. There, she was not allowed to go to school and was asked to do all the household work.
- To manage money for her studies, she started working at a Dhaba. In the morning, she used to attend school, and in the afternoon, she used to manage the Dhaba.
- At the age of eleven, she was gang-raped by her cousin and 5 other men. She was asked not to talk about this to anyone.
- Later, she met another woman who was also transgender. She told Naaz that she was just different, and there were other people like her in society.
- She was then offered another job that was of a bar dancer. To manage her school fee and expenses, she used to dance at a bar.
- At the age of 18, she met her cousin sister Viveka Babaji who was a famous Mauritian model. She inspired her and promised to sponsor all the fees for her studies.
- After completing her studies in 1998, for further studies, she went to the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) where she studied fashion design and topped all the semesters. She got a job offer in a campus placement drive, and she worked with big designers like Ritu Kumar and Ritu Beri. When she was working, the biggest problem faced by her was discrimination. She used to be called by different names at the workplace.
- In 2013, she decided to go for sex reassignment surgery. She needed a huge amount of money for that. To earn money faster, she became a sex worker. She went to the hospital alone for the surgery, and after the surgery, she realized that was what she always wanted to be. In an interview, she said that her transformation into Naaz was not easy. She said,
I was an introvert and cry easily when people made fun of me. I have learnt to face situations with courage. I don’t tolerate ridicule or teasing.”
- While she was working as a sex worker, she met a photographer named Rishi Taneja who wanted to make a documentary on her. He wanted to show the pain of trans women. To capture Naaz`s pictures, he followed her everywhere for one year. He would click pictures of her in various situations throughout the day.
- These pictures of Naaz were showcased in an exhibition in Milan. In the exhibition, the editor of Tehelka magazine was also present. He wanted to feature Naaz on the cover of Tehelka magazine. So, in 2016, she became the first transgender woman to appear on the cover of the magazine. The headline on the cover of the magazine was “How people like Naaz Joshi are turning the way we see men and women.” She also became ambassador of Miss United Nations in the same year.
- In 2017, she won the Miss World Diversity competition. In the beauty pageant, the participants were asked to spend time with kids who were abandoned because their parents died due to HIV. All the women from other countries were reluctant to spend time with them but Naaz spent quality time with them and won the competition. She became the first trans woman to win a competition against cisgender. She won the title for three consecutive years after that but did not get much media coverage. She then became Miss Trans Queen India in 2018. She became the first transgender to win the competition.
- After winning the crown of Miss World Diversity, she was felicitated by a famous anchor and editor-in-chief of India TV Rajat Sharma.
- In 2018, she adopted a baby girl, and she adopted another girl child in 2020. According to Naaz, she is very happy to be a single mother. She said that the baby was of a couple that was about to separate and the baby was, an IVF baby, so she got her easily without going much to the court.
- In 2019, she did an advertising campaign for Cian Agro Industries and Infrastructure Ltd. that was about the Klaren Sanitary Pads.
- She also became a part of the Delhi Queer Pride 2019 rally.
- In August 2020, she won the crown of Miss Universe Diversity. This was her sixth crown. She competed against 14 international contestants in Mauritius. She wore a blue lehenga and choli and dressed like a goddess to represent the power of women. The competition was held online, and the participants were asked to perform online tasks. Naaz chose to work on Women`s Safety.
- Naaz won the Empress Earth title 2021 during Pride month. The contest was to take place in Dubai on June 1 but due to the Covid-19 outbreak, it was held online. The question asked to the contestants was their opinion about the lockdown. To this, Naaz answered that lockdown was not the solution, people should be aware and take safety precautions. Later, she gave a speech at the Lovely Professional University in Punjab and the Vellore Institute of Technology and made people aware of her community.
- Talking about the impact of Covid-19 on trans persons, in an interview she said that many organisations have reached out to provide food and supply to the community.
- Naaz also discussed the mental health of transgender people in an interview, she said that transgender people take a pill called Progynova although their lives. This pill causes mood swings and gives suicidal thoughts to the person.
- In an interview, she revealed that her mother still abused her physically, and she didn’t even let any person visit her. In 2020, she posted a picture on Instagram in which she was bleeding because she was hit by her mother.
- In an interview, giving advice to the parents of the children who are transgender, she said,
Don’t get scared of people. Your child is yours. Don’t let them undergo trauma. They are already going through a trauma inside their heart and minds. Don’t add to their problem and stay strong with them. Be with them. Stand with them. Tell the world, yes, we are with family, we are with our children. And I can give you in writing that your children will make you proud for sure. If you abandon them, they might become a bar dancer or sex worker like me. They might have to go through suicide attempts as I did. So please don’t betray your children. Open your arms and embrace them. They are your blood only.”
- She is active on Twitter and kept appreciating the work done by Television stars and Bollywood actors. She was active during the outbreak of Covid-19 and used to post about the problems that occurred at that time.
- On YouTube, there is a video of Naaz talking about her journey in TedX.
- She has always tried to increase employment for the people of her community. She believes that the transgender has been given equal rights but they are not given equal rights in employment.
- She wishes to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi someday.