Some Lesser Known Facts About Ritu Kumar
- Does Ritu Kumar smoke?: Not Known
- Does Ritu Kumar drink alcohol?: Not Known
- She is one of the most renowned female fashion designers in India who has been in the Fashion Industry for the last 40 years.
- She met her husband Shashi Kumar at Lady Irwin College during her graduation, the couple fell in love with each other and married.
- She started her career in a very small town of Kolkata in 1969; using hand-block printing and a couple of small tables.
- She began with evening clothes and bridal wear in the 1960s and 1970s and created a niche for her in the international market within these two decades.
- After becoming a successful entrepreneur in the field of fashion designing in India, in 1996, she expanded her business by opening several branches of her company in other countries including New York, Paris, and London. (London branch closed in 1999)
- The annual turnover of her company at that time was around ₹10 billion, higher than any other Indian Fashion Outlet.
- She is the woman who introduced Boutique culture in India with brand name RITU.
- Kumar’s book “Costumes and Textiles of Royal India” was published in October 1999. The book chronicles the great history of art designs and textiles in India.
- She got her first designing project in 2002 for the movie “Bollywood Hollywood” (a Canadian movie by an Indo-Canadian director Deepa Mehta).
- Her designs focus on traditional printing & weaving techniques and natural fabrics.
- She also launched a fragrance- “The Tree of Life” in April 2002.
- In the same year i.e. 2002, her son Amrish Kumar joined her and launched a sub-brand: Ritu Kumar, LABEL.
- With her extraordinary work in the fashion industry, she has become one of the top fashion designers in India.
- The only thing that makes Ritu Kumar an outstanding Indian Fashion designer is her intellectual and unique vision towards ethnic wears.
- She is the person who had designed Kareena Kapoor Khan’s wedding outfit.
- A number of Indian Actresses including Aishwarya Rai, Anushka Sharma, Priyanka Chopra, and Vidya Balan have worn her designer clothes.
- Her designer outfits are often used by the contestants of Indian Pageants like Miss Universe, Miss Asia Pacific, and Miss India.
- Late Princess Diana (1 July 1961-31 August 1997) was also fascinated with Ritu Kumar’s work and she also used to wear some of the masterpieces of her.
- Ritu Kumar has not designed outfits for any Bollywood film yet, and the only reason she gave to IANS in an interview was “The way things are in Bollywood, I don’t think I have the time and patience for all that”.
- Ritu Kumar has her fashion outlets in more than 14 cities across India.
- Here is a conversation between this iconic fashion designer:
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)