|Famous for||Being appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of YouTube on 16 February 2023|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Age (as of 2022)||49 Years|
|Nationality||Indian-American India Today|
|School||St. Francis' College in Hazratganj, Lucknow (Class 7 to 12) The Times of India|
|College/University||• Stanford University in California
• Stanford Graduate School of Business in California, United States
|Educational Qualification(s)||Bachelor of Science (BS) in Electrical Engineering
Master of Business Administration (MBA) LinkedIn
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Hema Sareen Mohan (social worker)
|Children||Together, Neal and Hema have three children; two sons and a daughter.|
|Parents||Father- Dr Aditya Mohan
Mother- Dr Deepa Mohan
• Anuj Mohan (b. 1976 ; d.2006)
• Kapil Mohan (Senior Product Manager at Indeed)
|Assets/Properties||A $5.2 million home and an apartment near the Google complex in Mountain View, California. The Daily Mail|
|Net Worth (approx.)||USD 150 million
Note: The net worth was for the financial year 2021-2022. It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
Some Lesser Known Facts About Meal Mohan
- Neal Mohan is an Indian-American India Today business executive who was appointed as the CEO of YouTube, a video-sharing platform, on 16 February 2023, after Susan Wojcicki stepped down from the post.
- Mohan’s father, Aditya Mohan, was born in 1939 in Lucknow, India. Aditya, in his early 20s, migrated to the United States to pursue PhD program at Purdue University.
- Neal spent his early childhood years in Michigan and in 1985, he and his family shifted to India.
- In 1985, when Neal and his family shifted to India from Michigan, Neal faced the problem of fluency in the Hindi language. In an interview, one of his schoolmates, Shantanu Kumar, stated that despite not knowing the language well, Neal gradually grasped it and said,
We were in the same section (D) of class VII. He was a bright student but since he came from the US he didn’t know Hindi. However, in no time, he learned it and scored high marks in the subject in the class X exam.”
- While working at DoubleClick, Mohan got married to Hema in New York.
- While completing his schooling at St. Francis’ College in Lucknow, Neal was awarded the National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) scholarship, which is an examination conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) organisation to recognize the academic scholars in Class 10 of Indian nationality residing in India and abroad.
- While studying at Stanford University, Neal served as a member of the Engineering Honour Society.
- While completing his post-graduation at the Stanford Graduate School of Business in California, Neal was awarded the Arjay Miller Scholars Award, which is given to the top ten per cent of graduating students from the business school, who excel in their academic grades.
- Neal, in August 1996, joined the company Accenture as a senior analyst. In 1997, Neal resigned from Accenture after serving there for a year and four months and joined a startup, Net Gravity, as a customer support representative. Net Gravity was taken over by DoubleClick Inc., an advertising company based in New York, in November 1997. Neal, at DoubleClick, joined as a director and headed the department of global client services.
- While working at DoubleClick, Neal rose to the post of Vice President (VP) of business operations. In 2003, he shifted to Stanford in California to pursue an MBA degree at Stanford University. After completing his degree, Neal rejoined DoubleClick in July 2005 as a Senior Vice President (SVP) of Strategy and Product Management.
- In May 2006, Neal’s younger brother Anuj Mohan suffered intense injuries while swimming at his apartment’s pool. On 1 June 2006, at the age of 30, Anuj succumbed to death after receiving treatment for nearly a month at the El Camino Hospital in California.
- In 2007, DoubleClick was acquired by Google for a massive amount of $3.1 billion. At Google, Neal joined as a Senior Vice President (SVP) in March 2008 and headed the display and video advertisement department. While working at Google, he played an essential role in acquiring various start-ups like Invite Media, Admeld, and Teracent. On the other hand, Neal worked relentlessly in developing Google AdSense, which is an advertising program for website owners, who can earn money by publicising third-party Google ads on their sites.
- Neal’s wife, Hema Sareen Mohan, a resident of New York, majorly works with various non-profit organisations. Apart from serving as a social worker, she worked with Joe Simitian, a resident of California and a Democratic Party candidate, who served as the Santa Clara County Supervisor consecutively for three terms, 2012, 2016, and 2020.
- While working at Google in 2011, Neal was given the offer to join Twitter as a chief product officer. However, Google wanted to retain Neal, hence they paid him an enormous stock bonus of US$ 100 million. Business Insider
- In 2012, Neal joined as a board member at the
- Neal, from 2012 to 2015, served on the board of directors at the Mobile Marketing Association (
- Neal joined YouTube in November 2015 as a chief product officer. While working at YouTube, which is a video-sharing platform owned by Google, Neal introduced various new features like YouTube Music, YouTube TV, YouTube Premium, and YouTube Shorts.
- Since July 2017, Neal served as a board member at 23andMe, a California-based biotechnology company.
- Neal served as a member
- Neal, in
- Neal was appointed as the
- Susan Wojcicki, who took the charge of YouTube’s CEO in 2014, resigned from the post on 16 February 2023 following which Neal Mohan was announced as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of YouTube.
Thank you, @SusanWojcicki. It's been amazing to work with you over the years. You've built YouTube into an extraordinary home for creators and viewers. I'm excited to continue this awesome and important mission. Looking forward to what lies ahead… https://t.co/Rg5jXv1NGb
— Neal Mohan (@nealmohan) February 16, 2023
- While working at Google and YouTube, for almost fifteen years, Neal Mohan and Susan Wojcicki collaborated on various projects. In an interview, talking about Neal’s contributions, which made a huge impact on the growth and development of the company, Susan said,
“I’ve spent nearly 15 years of my career working with Neal, first when he came over to Google with the DoubleClick acquisition in 2007 and as his role grew to become SVP of Display and Video Ads. He became YouTube’s Chief Product Officer in 2015. Since then, he has set up a top-notch product and UX team, played pivotal roles in the launch of some of our biggest products, including YouTube TV, YouTube Music and Premium and Shorts, and has led our Trust and Safety team, ensuring that YouTube lives up to its responsibility as a global platform.”
- In an interview, Neal stated that basketball is one of his favourite sports and he is fond of Golden State Warriors, an American professional basketball team based in San Francisco.
- Neal occasionally enjoys consuming alcoholic beverages at various parties and events.