Age: 51 Years
Caste: Tamil Brahmin
|Profession||Screenwriter, Lyricist & Author|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Debut||As an Author: The Making of Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001)
As a Screenwriter: Jism (2003; Dialogue Writer)
As a Lyricist: Kurbaan (2009)
As a Producer: Devi (2020; short film)
|Date of Birth||9 April 1969 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||51 Years|
|School||Adarsh High School in Dombivili, Mumbai|
|College/University||• Williamson College, Franklin, Tennessee, United States
• Ruhiya College
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Science from Ruhiya College (2 Years) The Hindu|
|Caste||He belongs to Tamil-speaking Hindu Brahmin Family. Times of India Wikipedia|
|Hobbies||Doing Photography & Singing|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Name not known
Mother- Name not known
|Filmmaker(s)||Coen Brothers, Woody Allen, Hrishikesh Mukherjee|
|Screenwriter(s)||David Hare, Alan Ball|
|Film(s)||Mughal-E-Azam (1960), Hours (2002), American Beauty|
|TV Shows||Criminal Minds (2005)|
|Book(s)||'Gun Island' by Amitav Ghosh, 'Magical Women' by Sukanya Venkatraghavan|
|Album||'Kabir' by Abida Parveen|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Niranjan Iyengar
- Niranjan Iyengar is an Indian screenwriter, lyricist, and author, known for his work in Karan Johar’s films.
- Niranjan went to Williamson College in Franklin, Tennessee, United States and made many friends there. However, while studying there, he felt that the college was not the right one for him and left it. Then, he enrolled in Ruhiya College to pursue science. After two years of studying in Ruhiya, he quit his college.
- When he was in school, he had a habit of writing letters to people. Due to which, he wrote a letter to Thai Airways, his relatives, and even to Queen Elizabeth amongst others.
- He is a big fan of Rekha. According to Niranjan, Rekha is the one who ignited his interest in cinema; as he watched her films. His interest in cinema led him to write a letter to the editor of ‘G’ magazine, asking them to take him as an intern.
- Niranjan Iyengar started his career as a film journalist, working for ‘G’ magazine.
- After working as a journalist, he got tired and decided to work in The Boston Globe, US, where one of his aunts worked. In the US, he met Manish Malhotra.
- After meeting Manish Malhotra, he decided to assist him and started designing costumes for films and ramps. He worked with Manish for three and a half years.
- When Karan Johar was making his film “Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham…” (2001), he advised Karan Johar to publish a book on making of the film. Karan Johar was enthralled about the idea and asked Niranjan to write the book. His book titled ‘The Making of Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham’ was published in 2001.
- He has written dialogues for the well-received Bollywood films, Kal Ho Naa Ho (2003), Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006), Fashion (2008), Wake Up Sid (2009), My Name Is Khan (2010), Ra. One (2012), Student of the Year (2012), and Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (2016).
- The songs, ‘Tere Naina’ from “My Name Is Khan” (2010), ‘ Sajda’ from “My Name Is Khan” (2010), ‘Noor-E-Khuda’ from “My Name Is Khan” (2010), ‘Chammak Challo’ from “Ra. One” (2012), and ‘Dama Dam Mast Qalandar’ from “D-Day” (2013), are some of the most famous songs written by him.
- He is the co-founder of the production house, Electric Apples Entertainment.
- He is the host of the celebrity talk show ‘Look Who’s Talking with Niranjan’ which airs on Zee Café.
- In 2000, he heard a song by Abida Parveen, which influenced him to learn music. He trained under a music teacher, and finally, after 15 years of practice, according to Niranjan, he can perform himself.
- He is best friends with Manish Malhotra and Karan Johar.
- Mahesh Bhatt had a huge impact on Niranjan and his career. Talking about Mahesh Bhatt in an interview, he said,
Mahesh Bhatt once told me, and I keep coming back to Bhatt-Saab because he had a great impact on me.
- He knows Shruti Hassan since she was seven years old, and they both are best friends now.