Nithin Kamath Age, Girlfriend, Wife, Family, Biography & More
|Profession(s)||Entrepreneur, Trader, Investor|
|Known For||Being the co-founder and CEO of ‘Zerodha,’ a financial services company in India|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Emerging Entrepreneur Award (2014) by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
• The emerging brokerage firm of the year (2014) by BSE and Dun & Bradstreet
• The emerging brokerage firm of the year (2015) by BSE and Dun & Bradstreet
• Top 10 Indian businessmen to watch out for in 2016
• Ranked in the list of Forbes India 30 under 30, Finance in 2016
• The Economics Times awarded him with Startup of the year (Bootstrap) 2016 by Economic Times
• The retail brokerage firm of the year 2019
• Zerodha topped the IIFL Wealth Hurun India 40 & under Self- Made Rich List 2020
|Date of Birth||5 October 1979 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2021)||42 Years|
|School||Dayal Singh Public School, Shimoga, Karnataka|
|College/University||Bangalore Institute of Technology, Bengaluru, Karnataka|
|Educational Qualification||Graduation in engineering (1997-2001) LinkedIn|
|Caste||Gaud Saraswat Brahmin Rediff|
|Hobbies||Playing Basketball, Cycling, Swimming, and Playing Guitar|
|Tattoo(s)||• On the left shoulder- A Samoan tribal
• On the right bicep- A tribal tattoo
• On the right wrist- Star
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Seema Patil (Works at Zerodha)
|Children||Son- Kiaan Kamath
|Parents||Father- Raghuram Kamath (retired from Canara Bank)
Mother- Revathi Kamath (environmentalist and Veena player)
|Siblings||Brother- Nikhil Kamath (Co-founder of Zerodha)
|Music Band||Pink Floyd|
|Song||'Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli' from Anand (1971)|
|Book||Market Wizards by Jack Schwager|
|Car Collection||Audi A7
|Net Worth (approx.)||• Rs. 6600 crores (as of 2019) The Economic Times
• According to Forbes, the accumulative net worth of the Kamath brothers is $1.55B (INR 11,600 crores) Forbes
Some Lesser Known Facts About Nithin Kamath
- Does Nithin Kamath drink alcohol?: Yes
- Nithin Kamath is an Indian investor, stockbroker, and entrepreneur.
- He used to participate in various extra-curricular activities while he was in school.
- While he was pursuing his graduation, he started working as a freelancing proprietary trader in Bangalore in January 1997.
- During an interview, he talked about getting his first break as an investor. He said,
Then, in 2004, I got my first big break while I was at the gym. A retired person of Indian origin, who had returned from the US, wanted advice on managing his portfolio, and he agreed to take me on as his portfolio manager, never mind that I had no professional degree to back me up. Today, Zerodha is the largest retail brokerage firm in India by all measures and one of the largest retail trading platforms in the world by activity. We have achieved this without ever advertising, or raising any external capital or debt. We focused on innovative products and services, and it took us a slow and steady 10 years along with a lot of luck.”
- He then worked at Manipal Infocom in Bangalore as a senior telesales executive.
- In an interview, he talked about making a career as an investor. He said,
In school, I was a below-average student academically. I discovered trading and the markets by accident at the age of 17. I’ve been through the boom and bust journey every good trader experiences. In the early 2000s, I borrowed money and blew up my trading account and then worked in a call centre for 4 years trying to make up for the debt, while also trading on the side.”
He further added,
I was a really bad student right through my school and college, and so yes, now that it has all turned okay, my parents are quite happy about it. I think it is about finding that one thing that you love and try to build your career or your business around it. So stock markets are what I love and so I was lucky enough to build a business around it and so eventually luck hit some point in time and it all turned okay. So it is about finding something that you love doing and doing it all the time.”
- Nithin, along with his brother Nikhil, started ‘Kamath Associates’ in 2004.
- After almost 11 years, he started working as a CEO at ‘Rainmatters,’ which is the initiative of the brokerage firm Zerodha, started by Kamath brothers in 2010. In an interview, he shared how his company Zerodha was different from other companies. He said,
The zero-brokerage idea caught the imagination of people and clientele jumped from about 70,000 people to a million users today. Of those, about 700,000 actively trade, he says. That makes Zerodha second only to ICICI Direct. And by volume of trades put in, they account for 7-8 per cent of all trades done on a given day, which makes them “the largest retail broker in the country.”
He further said,
The problem we are trying to solve is how the capital markets ecosystem can grow in India. In India, we are relying too much on foreign capital and if as a business we can somehow enable people to put money behind businesses in India, we can help this country grow and do our job.”
- During an interview, he shared how Aadhaar card and demonetization helped his business, he said,
So, people had Aadhaar earlier but they didn’t know how to use Aadhaar. Demonetization triggered people to make use of Aadhaar in real-time. People kept money in the bank; markets did well, so automatically the money started moving to capital markets.”
- Nithin and Nikhil own one more firm named ‘True Beacon,’ an investment management firm.
- He loves to sing and play the guitar whenever he gets time from his busy schedule.
- He is an avid sports lover and plays basketball, poker, and snooker. He also loves running, cycling, and swimming.
- Nithin is an avid dog lover and had a pet dog Hobes who died earlier.
- He regularly visits the gym along with his wife Seema.
- He is an avid football lover and has picked up a football jersey signed by the famous Indian footballer Lionel Messi in an auction. The Economic Times
- During an interview, he talked about the goal he had while he was starting his career, he said,
When I first started trading, my number was Rs 5 crore. I used to say that once I make that amount, I’ll retire, go to Thailand and live by the beach. Today, I can add like three zeroes to it and I still won’t stop.”
- He has been featured on the cover page of various magazines.
- Kamath brothers’ interviews have been published in various business magazines and newspapers.
- He idolizes the Indian businessman Azim Premji.
- In an interview, he shared that he wanted actor Hrithik Roshan to play his role if a film was made on his life.
- In March 2022, on Women’s Day, while talking about his wife’s journey of being diagnosed with breast cancer, he emphasized women’s health and highlighted the importance of creating awareness on cancer. Business Today
|↑4||The Economic Times|
|↑6||The Economic Times|