|Full name||Govind Arun Ahuja Mid-Day|
|Nickname(s)||• Chi Chi APN News
• Virar ka Chokkra NDTV
|Profession(s)||Actor, Comedian, Dancer, Former Politician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Jansatta Height||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Debut||Film (Hindi; As an actor): Love 86 (1986) as Vikram Doshi/Vicky
Film (Tamil; As an actor): Three Roses (2003) in a guest appearance
Film (Bengali; As an actor): Samadhi (2013) in lead role
Music Album (Hindi; As a singer): Govinda (1998)
|Awards & Honours||Filmfare Awards
• 1997: Special Award for Saajan Chale Sasural
• 2000: Best Comedian for Haseena Maan Jaayegi
• 2020: Special Award for Excellence in Indian Cinema Award
Zee Cine Awards
• 1998: Best Actor in a Comic Role for Dulhe Raja
• 1999: Best Actor in a Comic Role for Bade Miyan Chote Miyan
• 2000: Best Actor in a Comic Role for Haseena Maan Jaayegi
• 2008: Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Male) for Partner
• 2002: Best Comedian for Jodi No.1
• 2008: Best Comedian for Partner
• 1995: Star Screen Special Jury Award for Coolie No. 1
• 1998: Videocon Screen Best Actor (Jury) Award for Bade Miyan Chote Miyan
• 2007: Star Gold Excellent Comic Actor Award for Partner
• 2007: Most Stylish Comeback Award by MTV Lycra Style Awards for Partner
• 2008: Hiru Golden Film Award for Contribution to Asian Cinema
• 2008: Best Jodi of the Year by Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards for Partner (with Salman Khan)
• 1999: World’s tenth-greatest star of stage or screen in a BBC News Online poll
• 2016: Actor of the Decade at the India Leadership Conclave in Mumbai
|Date of Birth||21 December 1963 (Saturday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||58 Years|
|Birthplace||Virar, Bombay, Maharashtra|
|School||Annasaheb Vartak Smarak Vidyamandir Primary School, Virar, Maharashtra|
|College/University||Annasaheb Vartak College of Arts, Kedarnath Malhotra College of Commerce, E. S. Andrades College of Science, Dist- Palghar, Maharashtra|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Commerce My Neta|
|Ethnicity||His paternal grandmother was Sindhi, and his grandfather was Punjabi The Times of India|
|Food Habit||Non-vegetarian APN News|
|Address||105, Jal Darshan, A Wing, Ruia Park Road, Juhu, Mumbai– 400049|
|Controversies||• Case Filed for Doing Obscene Songs and Acts in Films
Although the Hindi song ‘Ek Chumma Tu Mujhko’ from the film ‘Chhote Sarkar’ (1996) became popular, Govinda landed into trouble with the song. The lyrics of the song did not go well with the audience, and in 1997, a case under the IPC sections 294 (obscene acts and songs), 500 (punishment for defamation), and 502 (sale of printed or engraved substance containing defamatory matter) were filed against Govinda in the Pakur district of Jharkhand (that time in Bihar). Later, Govinda approached the Bombay High Court in the matter. India Today In the court, Govinda said,
"The case has been registered only to humiliate and malign my reputation by having him arrested. I acted in the film and I was not a lyricist or the writer of the song. The lyrics or content of the song were not at all defamatory or obscene and there was no intention of defaming any community, cast, region, sect or society.”
In 2017, while granting him anticipatory bail the Bombay High Court said,
"In the event of his arrest, he will be let out on bail immediately with a personal bond of Rs 25,000 and one surety.”
• Misbehaved with a Struggling Actor
In January 2008, he slapped Santosh Rai (a struggling actor) during the shoot of the Hindi film "Money Hai to Honey Hai" as Govinda alleged that Santosh was misbehaving on the sets at Filmistan Studio, Mumbai.
After this, Rai filed a complaint against Govinda, but it was suppressed by the Bombay High Court. After that, Rai went to the Supreme Court, which issued a notice to Govinda and later, offered an unconditional apology, and Rs 5 lakh compensation to the victim.
During an interview, when Govinda was asked about the incident, he said, that he slapped the man as he was trying to get closer to the girls present there. In 2015, the Supreme Court gave the verdict in the case. Koimoi The apex court said,
"We enjoy your films, but cannot tolerate you slapping somebody.”
• Criticised for Being Unprofessional
In 2004, Govinda was elected to the Lok Sabha. He was often accused of being absent from the Lok Sabha and was even criticised for coming late during the shoot of films. Some producers stopped working with him for his unprofessional behaviour. During an interview, when Govinda was asked to give clarification on the matter, he said that he used to work in 2-3 shifts due to which he used to get exhausted. He said that he even had a nervous breakdown several times. He further shared that at that time only Dilip Kumar was the one who understood his condition very well. Later, Govinda said that it was some people from Bollywood who wanted to defame him. The Indian Express
• Public Spat with Krushna Abhishek
In 2016, the rumours of a rift between Govinda and Krushna Abhishek spread like fire. The rumours turned out to be true when Govinda and his wife preferred to promote the 2016 Hindi film ‘Jagga Jasoos’ on Kapil Sharma’s TV show ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ aired on Sony rather than appearing on Krushna’s TV show. In an interview, when Govinda was asked about the same, he said that he was upset with one of Krushna's acts. Govinda said that Krushna has been making money by insulting others on television. GOvinda was extremely upset with the ‘Mama rakha hai.' In an interview, when Krushna was asked about the dialogue, Krushna said that he cracked a joke saying ‘Maine Govinda ko apna mama rakha hai’ (I have kept Govinda as my uncle) on my show, which did not go down well with him. The rift between the two heated up in 2018 when the wives of Govinda and Krushna had a spat over a tweet. Kashmeera had tweeted something on ‘people who dance for money.’ The comment was not well received by Govinda’s wife Sunita who considered it Govinda’s insult. Later, Krushna came into the media to clarify that the tweet was for Arti Singh (his sister) and not Govinda and his wife. Later, when Govinda was again invited as a guest at The Kapil Sharma Show, Krushna being one of the comedians on the show decided to remain absent from the sets on that day. In 2020, before the COVID-19 pandemic, Krushna tried to contact Govinda, but his efforts were wasted. During an interview, Krushna shared that he was upset with Govinda because he didn’t even come over to his home to meet Krushna’s twins. Later, Govinda released a statement in the media which he had met the doctors in the hospital and was there to see Krushna's children. Govinda even said that he was upset with Krushna and Kashmera for their derogatory comments on him. He even said that he would maintain distance with them. In 2022, Krushna apologised to Govinda with teary eyes while he was invited as a guest at the YouTube podcast show of the Indian actor and comedian Maniesh Paul. Later, in the same show, Govinda was invited and was asked to comment on Krushna’a apology. The Indian Express Govinda said there was no need to apologise on camera.
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Neelam Kothari (ex-girlfriend; actress)
• Rani Mukerji (rumoured ex-girlfriend; actress) Bollywood Shaadis
|Marriage Date||11 March 1987|
|Children||Son- Yashvardhan Ahuja (assistant director; born on 1 March 1997; image in wife's section)
Daughter- Tina Ahuja (actor; born on 16 July 1989; image in wife's section)
Note: His daughter named Lakshmi died within four months of her birth as she was very weak and was a premature baby. The Times of India
|Parents||Father- Aroon aka Arun Kumar Ahuja (Indian actor and producer)
Mother- Nirmala Devi (actress and Carnatic singer)
|Siblings||Brother- Kirti Kumar Ahuja (actor, film producer, director, singer; image in paernts' section)
• Padma Ahuja
• Pushpa Ahuja
• Kamini Khanna (astrologer and music director)
|Other Relative(s)||Maternal Uncle(s)
• Lachhu Maharaj (musician)
• Anand Singh (assistant director) are his maternal uncles
• Krushna Abhishek (son of Govinda’s sister Padma Sharma; comedian and actor)
• Vinay Anand (son of Govinda’s sister Pushpa Anand; actor)
• Arti Singh (daughter of Govinda’s sister Padma Sharma; TV actress)
• Ragini Khanna (daughter of Govinda’s sister Kamini Khanna; TV actress)
• Kashmeera Shah (wife of Krushna Abhishek; model and actor)
|Food||Fried Chicken, Moong Dal, Khichdi, Bhindi|
|Actor(s)||Dharmendra, Madhuri Dixit|
|Restaurant||Just Around The Corner in Mumbai and Ming Yang in Mumbai|
|Koimoi Car Collection||• Hyundai Creta
• Toyota Fortuner
• Ford Endeavor
• Mercedes C220D
• Mercedes Benz GLC
|Koimoi Salary/Income||• Rs 10-12 crores (in 2021)
• Rs 5-6 crores per film (in 2021)
• 2 crores per advertisement (in 2021)
Cash: Rs 20,12,988
Bank Deposits: Rs 3,51,97,944
Motor Vehicles: Rs 1,40,074
Jewellery: Rs 1,85,51,718
Bonds, Debentures and Shares: Rs 2,94,00,100
LIC: Rs 71,00,000
Agricultural Land: Rs 2,10,000
Buildings: Rs 2,43,00,000
Residential Buildings: Rs 70,00,000
Other Immovable Assets: Rs 20,00,000
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2004. My Neta
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs 170 crore (in 2021) Koimoi|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Govinda
- Govinda is a veteran Indian actor, dancer, comedian, and former politician. He gained immense popularity with his comedy roles and dance moves in Hindi films.
- His ancestors hail from Gujranwala, Pakistan The Times of India His mother was a Muslim and after getting married to a Punjabi boy, she changed her name from Nazim to Nirmala Devi. Patrika
- Govinda’s father was an actor too, who made his debut in Bollywood in 1940. At that time, Govinda’s family used to live in a bungalow on Carter Road, Mumbai.
His father then worked as a producer in a film which turned out to be a flop, and they suffered major financial losses. His father even sold their bungalow to repay the loans and moved to a village in Virar, Maharashtra where Govinda was born.
During an interview, Govinda talked about the same and said that his father was a successful hero but everything changed when he produced a film. The film was a flop and they had to sell off their bungalow to repay the loans.
- When he was 13 years old, he started a restaurant named ‘Govinda in Virar,’ but it failed miserably and was shut down. The Times of India
- While he was in college, he used to perform in various theatre plays.
- After completing his graduation, he applied for various jobs. He once applied for a steward’s job at the Taj Mahal Hotel. He was rejected there for his poor English-speaking skills. DNA India
- Govinda’s mother wanted him to work as a banker, but Govinda wanted to become an actor. Initially, he used to hide from his mother that he was auditioning for films. He used to travel several km by train from Virar to Mumbai to give auditions. He even auditioned for Rajshri Studios many times, but he was rejected.
- He was then selected for a TV commercial for a fertiliser company, and then he got another TV ad for Allwyn company. During an interview, he shared that with his first income, he bought a saree for his mother. He said,
When I got my first income, I bought a saree for my mother. When I was travelling back to my home in train, I checked the saree bag 3-4 times and was in tears of happiness that I have bought something for my mother.”
In an interview, when Govinda was asked how he thought of making his career in acting, he said that he watched the Hindi film ‘Disco Dancer’ and used to practice dancing and acting for hours and distributed the VHS cassettes of the same for promotion. He further shared that before making a career in acting, he decided that he would give auditions for only 6 months otherwise he would quit the idea of acting and pursue a job as a banker. He said had decided that he would try for films for only 6 months otherwise he would do a bank job.
- In the late 90s, he got the offer to play the role of Abhimanyu in the popular mythological TV series ‘Mahabharat’ (1988), but at the same time, he got an offer for the Bollywood film ‘Tan-Badan’ (1986). He decided to work in the film and rejected the TV series. Nav Bharat Times
- In 1986, Govinda met the Indian actress Neelam for the first time on the sets of the Hindi film ‘Ilzaam.’ Govinda was mesmerised by her personality and started developing feelings for her right from their first meeting. Govinda and Neelam were cast together in more than 14 films which helped in creating a strong bond between them. Initially, they became friends, and soon, fell in love with each other. At that time, Govinda was engaged to Sunita Ahuja, whom he had met through one of his relatives. In an interview, Govinda said that he even used to ask Sunita to become like Neelam. According to his interview, he was so much in love with Neelam that once when Sunita said something wrong about Neelam, he decided to call off their engagement. Govinda said,
After I started getting busier, my relationship with Sunita went through a change. She began feeling insecure and jealous. And I was of no help. She would nag me and I would lose my temper. We had constant fights. In one of those fights, Sunita said something about Neelam, and I lost my head and called it quits. I asked Sunita to leave me. I broke off my engagement with her. And had Sunita not called me after five days and coaxed me into it again, I would probably have married Neelam.”
Govinda wanted to marry Neelam, and his father was also ready to accept Neelam as his daughter-in-law, but it was Govinda’s mother who made him understand that he had already committed to Sunita and that he could not ruin her life. Later, Govinda felt that it was only him who wanted to get married whereas Neelam was focusing on her career, and she would often take the topic of marriage as a joke. Later, Neelam started working with other actors, and Govinda also got secretly married to Sunita. He hid his marriage from Neelam. When Neelam got to know about his marriage, she stopped working with him in films. Koimoi
- Govinda then acted in the Hindi films like ‘Pyaar Karke Dekho’ (1987), ‘Shiv Shakti’ (1988), ‘Ghar Ghar Ki Kahani’ (1988), ‘Jaisi Karni Waisi Bharnii’ (1989), and ‘Aakhri Baazi’ (1989). In an interview, he shared that in the initial years of his career, he used to work for 12 days continuously. YouTube- Lehren Retro He further said that he copied his brother’s acting style in films.
- Soon, he started getting popularity in Bollywood. In the 90s, he used to do 7 films a year. The era was the most successful phase of his acting career. Some of his popular films from the 90s are ‘Swarg’ (1990), ‘Raja Babu’ (1994), ‘Saajan Chale Sasural’ (1996), ‘Dulhe Raja’ (1998), and ‘Haseena Maan Jaayegi’ (1999).
- In 1994, his car met with an accident. After getting the treatment from a doctor, he immediately resumed the shooting of his Hindi film ‘Khudaar.’ Presswire 18
- Thereafter, his Hindi films with ‘No. 1 series’ became very popular. Some of such films are ‘Coolie No. 1’ (1995), ‘Hero No. 1’ (1997), ‘Aunty No. 1’ (1998), ‘Anari No.1’ (1999), ‘Beti No. 1’ (2000), and ‘Jodi No.1’ (2001).
- Govinda was very close to his mother, and he used to consider her God. In 1996, his mother passed away which shattered him.
- Govinda has also worked as a singer in a few Hindi songs like “Gori Gori O Baanki Chhori” from ‘Shola Aur Shabnam’ (1992), and “Meri Pant Bhi Sexy” from ‘Dulaara’ (1994). He has also penned down the lyrics of the song “I Love You Bol Daal” from the Hindi film ‘Haseena Maan Jaayegi’ (1999).
- In 1999, Govinda was invited as a guest on the popular Hindi TV talk show ‘Jeena Isi Ka Naam Hai.’
- In 2000, he acted in the rom-com Hindi film ‘Hadh Kar Di Aapne’ in which he played six different characters including Raju and Raju’s family members like his mother, father, sister, grandfather, and grandmother.
Another scene from the film where he played different characters in a TV structure also became very popular. He was appreciated by the audience for his versatility in acting.
The film was not only popular for its comedy scenes but also for the brewing chemistry between the lead actors Govinda and Rani Mukerji. Reportedly, a reporter even caught Govinda in night dress in Rani Mukerji’s room while the cast of the film was in a foreign location for shooting of the film. It was also reported that his wife, Sunita decided to move out of Govinda’s house after hearing the rumours. Bollywood Shaadis In an interview, when Rani was asked about her alleged relationship with Govinda, she denied all such rumours.
- Some of Govinda’s on-screen jodis with his co-actors have become very popular. One such jodi is of Govinda and Shakti Kapoor who gained popularity as ‘Raja Babu-Nandu’ in the Hindi film ‘Raja Babu’ (1994). The duo acted together in more than 40 Hindi films.
Another famous jodi is of Govinda-Kader Khan, and they worked in around 41 Hindi films together.
Adding to this, Govinda-Johnny Lever jodi and Govinda-Paresh Rawal jodi are also quite popular in Bollywood, and they have worked together in 20 films and 12 films respectively. Apart from actors jodi, the actor-director jodi of Govinda-David Dhawan gave many hit films in Bollywood.
- In 2001, he worked as a host in the TV game show ‘Jeeto Chappar Phaad Ke’ aired on Sony TV. The show was a flop and went off air after only 13 episodes.
- The initial years of 2000 were not as successful as the 90s era was for him. He even took a break from acting from 2003 to 2005, and only a few of his delayed films were released between 2003 and 2005. In an interview, Govinda said that in his low phase only a few people helped him.
- In 2004, he decided to make his career in politics and joined the Indian National Congress. In the same year, he contested the Lok Sabha elections from the North Mumbai constituency, and he defeated the BJP candidate Ram Naik by 50,000 votes. In his campaigning, he said that his main agenda would be better transportation, health facilities, and education. He was elected to the Lok Sabha from 2004 to 2009. However, he was criticised for remaining absent from the Lok Sabha, and on 20 January 2008, Govinda left politics. In an interview, while talking about quitting politics, he said,
I believe that it has to do with the fact that my films were not promoted that well and I had wasted a lot of time in politics. I had put on a lot of weight during that time. When I decided to make a comeback in films, it became very difficult to lose that weight, but still I tried my best. I am working very hard, but all the years that I have wasted in politics are taking a toll on my career. Some of the films that I have done are lying in the cans and I hope that they are released soon.”
- He has rejected a few superhit Hindi films such as ‘Gadar: Ek Prem Katha’ (2001), ‘Taal’ (1999), and ‘Devdas’ (2002). MensXP
- Govinda has been invited to many Hindi talk shows such as ‘Movers & Shakers’ (2002), ‘Rendezvous with Simi Garewal’ (2003), ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ (2013), and ‘Mad in India’ (2014).
- After leaving politics, he acted in the Hindi films like ‘Bhagam Bhag’ (2006), ‘Partner’ (2007), and ‘Rangeela Raja’ (2019).
- In 2014, Govinda remarried his wife Sunita Ahuja. On their 25th anniversary, his mother wanted their ‘Sampoorna Vivaah’ (complete wedding). During an interview, Govinda talked about it, he said,
Not that Sunita and I were not married all these years. We had just gone through a formal Gandharva Vivah back in 1987. But now we went through all the rituals.”
- In 2015, he worked as a judge in the reality TV show ‘Dance India Dance Super Mom Season 2.’
- In 2019, he campaigned for the Indian politician Chainsukh Madanlal Sancheti from BJP in Malkapur, Maharashtra.
- In 2021, he hosted the Bengali dance TV reality show ‘Zee Bangla Dance Bangla Dance Season 11.’
- He owns a music label ‘Govinda Royalles.’
He has also released a few music albums like ‘Gori Tere Naina’ (2013) and ‘Hello’ (2022). A few music videos released under his music label are ‘Tip Tip Paani Barsa’ (2021), ‘Mere Naal’ (2022), ‘Chal Na Friendship Karte Hai’ (2022), and ‘Prem Karun Chuu’ (2022).
- Govinda has been featured in TV commercials for various brands such as Mirinda, Nippo Battery, CWE, and Rupa Frontline.
- Reportedly, Govinda is very superstitious. He once asked the Indian director Tigmanshu Dhulia to change the two lines of a song, because while they were finalising the song, Govinda got the news that Salman Khan’s dog has died. This made him believe that the lyrics of the song were jinxed. Later, the name of the film was also changed to ‘King Con To Showman.’ Later, the film got shelved. Hindustan Times His other superstition is that he never makes payments on Thursday as he believes that paying in the mid of the week would block his income sources. The Free Press Journal According to some sources, he used to get upset while shooting for the film if someone came dressed up in red colour. While shooting, he prefers to eat meals cooked by his Maharaj only, and it is said that he even carried milk of his cattle while going on outdoor shoots. Before taking any major decision, he consults his guruji. The Quint He is also a believer of astrology. He even changed his name six times, before finalising his name to Govinda.
- He enjoys writing poetries, watching films, and doing meditation.
- In 2018, the dance video of Sanjeev Shrivastava popular as the ‘dancing uncle’ went viral on social media in which he was seen dancing on Govinda’s song “Mai Se Meena Se Na Saqi Se.” Later, Sanjeev and Govinda performed together in a TV show. During an interview, while talking about dancing uncle, Govinda said,
The way he [Shrivastava] has copied my steps, he has done it so well. He is so much into it. More than half a dozen heroes have copied my steps, and nobody has done it so well! It felt like he was dancing with all his heart and having fun.”
- He has been featured on the cover of various magazines like Filmfare, Stardust, Cine Blitz, Mayapuri, and Show Time.
- The famous Indian actor Ranveer Singh is a die heart fan of Govinda. He once kept Govinda’s photo from the Hindi film ‘Raja Babu’ as his DP on WhatsApp. During an award show, Ranveer performed on the mashup songs of Govinda, and after completing his performance, he touched the feet of Govinda.
- During an interview, Govinda shared that in the initial years of his career, he did not smoke or drink alcohol, but later, he started both. Hindustan Times