|Real Name||Girish Raghunath Karnad|
|Profession||Actor, Playwright, Film Director, Screenwriter, Professor|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet inches- 5’ 9”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 80 kg
in Pounds- 176 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Black & White|
|Date of Birth||19 May 1938|
|Age (as in 2017)||79 Years|
|Birth Place||Matheran, Maharashtra, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Taurus|
|College/University||Karnatak Arts College, Dharwad, Karnataka University
Magdalen College, University of Oxford, England
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Statistics
Master of Arts in Philosophy, Political Science, and Economics
Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy)
|Debut||Play Screenwriting: 'Maa Nishaadha' (1960)
Kannada Film & Screenwriting: 'Samskara' (1970)
Direction: 'Vamsha Vriksha' (1971)
TV: 'Malgudi Days' (1987)
|Family||Father- Late Rao Saheb Dr Karnad
Mother- Late Krishna Bai Mankeekara
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing, Listening to soft music, Yoga|
|Controversies||• In 1992, Karnad publicly criticized the demolition of Babri Masjid and also gave a statement against the Idgah Maidan in Hubli to create a controversy.
• In 2012 at TATA Lit Fest, Mumbai, Karnad was invited to express a feeling about 'his life in theater' but he took the opportunity and started pointing out about V. S. Naipaul for his enmity towards Indian Muslims. Later on, festival's organizers granted Lifetime Achievement Award to V. S. Naipaul and Karnad criticized the organizers for having honored Naipaul.
• Just After Naipaul's controversy, Karnad again created controversy by claiming that Rabindranath Tagore was a substandard playwright and his plays were intolerable.
• In November 2015, during the birth anniversary celebration of ruler Tipu Sultan, Karnad specified that Bangalore International Airport should have been changed from Kempe Gowda to 'Tipu Sultan' which created an outcry among right-wing parties and after the incident he apologized for his statement.
|Favourite Food||'Kanda Batata Poha', 'Misal Pav', Vada-Pav', 'Aloo Methi', 'Lacha Prantha', 'Sabutdana Khichdi'|
|Favourite Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna, Govinda, Puneet Raj Kumar, Diganth|
|Favourite Actress(s)||Rekha, Hema Malini, Arundathi Nag, Bharathi Vishnuvardhan, Jayanthi|
|Favourite Musician(s)||Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar|
|Favourite Colours||Grey, Black, Brown, Blue|
|Favourite Book||'Why Survive? Being Old in America' (Robert Neil Butler)|
|Favourite Poets||Amoghavarsha, Kappe Arabhatta|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||Dr. Saraswathy Ganapathy|
|Marriage Date||Not Known|
|Children||Son- Not Known
Daughter- Not Known
Some Lesser Known Facts About Girish Karnad
- Does Girish Karnad smoke?: Not Known
- Does Girish Karnad drink alcohol?: Yes
- Girish Karnad was born in Matheran, Maharashtra and brought up Karnataka.
- He belongs to Saraswat Brahmin Konkani family.
- He started his career in 1960.
- He is well known for his work in South Indian movies and Bollywood.
- In 1964, he came into the limelight from his play ‘Tughlaq’.
- His work as a Swami’s Father in ‘Malgudi Days’ (1987) was highly appreciated by the viewers in Indian history.
- He first met his wife at a party when he was working in Madras in Oxford University Press on his return from England and got married at the age of 42.
- He is a fond of writing plays, literature, stories, poems etc.
- His plays were written in Kannada and have been translated into English and some Indian languages.
- He also worked as a professor from 1963 to 1970 in Oxford University Press, Chennai and as a visiting professor at the University of Chicago, Illinois from 1987 to 1988.
- From 1974 to 1975, he served as director of the Film and Television Institute of India and from 1988 to 1993, Chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi, the National Academy of the Performing Arts.
- In 1988, he is a receiver of the Jnanpith Award for the India’s highest literary honor.
- From 2000 to 2003 in the Indian High Commission, London, he was served as director of the Nehru Centre and as Minister of Culture.
- He won numerous awards such as ‘Padma Shri’, ‘Padma Bhushan’, Filmfare Awards, National Film Awards, Filmfare Awards South, Karnataka State Film Awards and many more.
- In 2011, he has bestowed an honorary doctorate from University of Southern California, Los Angeles.
- In the 2014 parliamentary elections, he has opposed Narendra Modi for the Prime Minister’s post.
- He is a critic of religious fundamentalism and Hindutva in India.
- He gave his voice in the autobiography of A. P. J. Abdul Kalam’s (former President of India) audiobook ‘Wings of Fire’.
📢⚡TRENDING: Watch the biography of REAL "Gully Boy" - Naezy⚡