|Full Name||Pawan Kumar Chamling|
|Profession(s)||Politician, Social Worker, Poet, Writer, Contractor|
|Famous As||Longest-serving Cheif Minister (Sikkim) of India|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- _168 cm
in meters- 1.68 m
in feet inches- 5’ 6”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 65 kg
in pounds- 145 lbs
|Political Party||Sikkim Democratic Front
|Political Journey||1978: Elected as the secretary of the Prajatantra Congress
1975: Became the block president of the Youth Congress
1982: Became the President of Yangang Gram Panchayat
1985: Elected to the Sikkim Legislative Assembly
1989-1992: Became the Minister for Industries, Information and Public Relations in the Nar Bahadur Bhandari cabinet
1993: Formed the Sikkim Democratic Front
1994: Became the Chief Minister of Sikkim
|Biggest Rival||Nar Bahadur Bhandari of Sikkim Sangram Parishad|
|Date of Birth||22 September 1950|
|Age (as in 2018)||66 Years|
|Birthplace||Yangang, South Sikkim|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Virgo|
|Hometown||Ghurbisey, Namchi, South Sikkim|
|Educational Qualification||10th Pass|
|Address||Ghurbisey, Namchi, South Sikkim|
|Hobbies||Poetry, Reading, Writing|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||1996: Bharat Shiromani by Shiromani Foundation
1998: Greenest Chief Minister Of India by Centre for Science and Environment
1998: Man Of The Year by Biographical Institute, USA
1999: Manav Seva Puraskar by Institute of Economic Studies, New Delhi
2002: Poets’ Foundation Award by Poets’Foundation, Kolkata for lifetime achievement in literature
2003: Doctor of Philosophy (honoris causa) by Sikkim Manipal University
2009: Leadership And Good Governance Award
2010: Thekong Ambassador Of Peace by the Pang Lhabsol Committee
2010: Bhanu Puraskar by Sikkim Sahitya Parishad
2016: Yug Kavi Siddhicharan Award by Siddhicharan Shrestha Academy
2016: Samaj Kalyan Puraskar by the Gorkha Dukha Niwarak Sangh, Darjeeling
2016: Sustainable Development Leadership Award by The Energy and Resource Institute (TERI)
2017: One World Award (Grand Prix)
2018: 1st Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Life Time Achievement Honour by former President Shri Pranab Mukherjee
|Controversy||Critizcism started pouring up on social media when Chamling's net worth bloated by 80% from ₹2.36 crore to ₹4.27 crore in a span of 5 years, i.e. from 2004-2009. He declared ₹98 Lakh while filing nomination in 2004, which apparently rose by 70 percent; making his net worth ₹1.60 crore. His second wife has assets worth ₹ 2.09 crore as against ₹ 1.26 crore in 2004, be it her bank deposits, agriculture land to commercial properties and jewelleries. Four of his children (Suneeta, Komal, Vivek and Sushila) who did not own any financial assets in 2004, accumulated a combined net worth of ₹ 39.27 Lakh.|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife/Spouse||First Wife: Dhan Maya Chamling
Second Wife: Tika Maya Chamling (Agriculturist, Entrepreneur)
|Children||Son(s)- Bijoy Chamling, Bishal Chamling, Bikash Chamling, Bibek Chamling
Daughter(s)- Sushila Chamling, Shiela Chamling, Sunita Chamling, Komal Chamling
|Parents||Father- Ashbahadur Chamling (Farmer)
Mother- Asharani Chamling
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Pratiman Chamling, Santa Man Chamling, Rup Narayan Chamling, Ashok Chamling
Sister- Rita Chamling
|Net Worth (approx.)||₹10 Crore (As Per 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pawan Chamling
- Does Pawan Chamling smoke?: Not Known
- Does Pawan Chamling drink alcohol?: Not Known
- As a child, he had been into sports like football and volleyball and represented his school in inter-school and inter-district tournaments. Apart from sports, he used to participate in dramas in school functions.
- He was a leader since his childhood; as he was elected to head organizations in his school.
- He began his career as a farmer and then became a government contractor and built a number of roads, buildings, bridges, and irrigation canals.
- He established Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) and became the Cheif Minister of Sikkim for the first time in 1994. Since then, the party has won the 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2014 Sikkim Legislative Assembly elections.
- In 2009, all 32 assembly seats were won by his party (Sikkim Democratic Front) in the Sikkim Legislative Assembly.
- In 2016, Sikkim was declared as the first and the only “Organic State” in the country by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, since the state fully implements organic farming and has banned all chemicals and fertilizers in farms.
- In April 2018, he became the longest-serving Chief Minister (five consecutive terms) of India, after becoming the Chief Minister of Sikkim for the 5th time in 2014.
- As he completed 25 years in office, he created history by breaking the record of Jyoti Basu (former communist ruler of West Bengal) who held office for 23 years.
- He gave the slogan “New Sikkim, Happy Sikkim” while launching policies and programmes to develop the state.
- He is also a Nepali writer.
- He has been bestowed with the title of Ambassador “Organic Himalaya and Organic World in 2017.”
📢⚡TRENDING: List of IPL Winners (2008-2018)