Education: BA With A Major In Journalism
Age: 47 Years
Husband: Azad Oommen
|Profession||Actress & Producer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height IMDb||in centimeters- 169 cm
in meters- 1.69 m
in feet & inches- 5' 6½"
|Debut||Hollywood: She Hate Me (2004) as 'Song’s Girlfriend'
Bollywood: Delhi Belly (2011) as ‘Menaka Vashist’
TV: Law & Order (2004) as ‘Rehana Khemlani’
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• 2014: Annual Kamala Pasand Max Stardust Awards
• 2014: Verve magazine named her among the top 50 most powerful women in India
• 2014: Best Dressed Award by Grazia Magazine
• 2013: Amnesty International Freedom of Expression Award
• 2013: Scotsman Fringe First Award
• 2013: Herald Angel Award
• Most Fashionable Indian Woman by Cosmopolitan in 2013 and 2012
• 2012: Winner L’Oreal Femina Women Awards in 2012
• 2012: Featured in Femina magazine’s “India’s 50 Most Beautiful Women” List in 2012
|Date of Birth||22 December 1972 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||47 Years|
|Hometown||She grew up in Pakistan, Ireland, India, Brazil, and Argentina.|
|School||• While travelling from one country to the other, she did her schooling in Pakistan, Ireland, India, Brazil, and Argentina.
• Sardar Patel Vidyalaya, New Delhi
|College/University||• University of Brasilia, Brazil
• University of Maryland, College Park
• The Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University, New York
|Educational Qualification(s)||• BA with a Major in Journalism and Minor in Theatre from the University of Maryland, College Park
• Master of Fine Arts from the Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University, New York (Dropped out after a year)
|Ethnicity||South Indian American Times of India|
|Food Habit||Vegetarian PETA India|
|Hobbies||Watching Movies, Reading, and Watching Theatre Plays|
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- Anav Oommen
|Parents||Father- Krish Krishnan (Indian Diplomat)
Mother- Vasantha Krishnan
|Siblings||Sister- Sharada (Elder)
|Actor(s)||James Gandolfini, Aamir Khan|
|Actress(s)||Kalki Koechlin , Shabana Azmi|
|Play(s)||• Our Town by Thornton Wilder
• Amajuba by Yaël Farber
Some Lesser Known Facts About Poorna Jagannathan
- Poorna Jagannathan belongs to a Tamil family, and both her parents are from Chennai.
- She attended the Actors Studio Drama School at Pace University to pursue a master of arts, but, after a year, she dropped out of her course and continued to learn acting from her teacher, Elizabeth Kamp who she had met when she was studying in the college.
- She has acted in supporting roles in many popular Bollywood and American films, such as The Weather Man (2005), Awake (2007), Peace, Love, and Misnderstandings (2011) Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (2013), Growing Up Smith (2015), Carrie Pilby (2016), THe Circle (2017), Mile 22 (2018), Share (2019), and Alia’s Birth (2020).
- After acting in minor roles in the TV series, Rescue Me (2006), Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2006), The Game (2008), Numbers (2009), Royal Pains (2010), House of Cards (2015), and NCIS: Los Angeles (2016), she made her breakthrough with the role of ‘Safar Khan’ in the serial, The Night Of (2016).
- She has also acted in many popular American TV series, such as Gypsy (2017), The Blacklist (2017), The Act (2019), Big Little Lies (2019), Defending Jacob (2020), and Never Have I Ever (2020).
- She is an established theatre artist and is a board and company member of The Borrow Group, a non-profit Off-Broadway theatre company in New York City.
- She produced and acted in the play titled “Nirbhaya,” which was inspired by the Delhi gang rape and murder on 16 December 2012. The play was written and directed by Yaël Farber, a South African director & playwright, and it opened at the Assembly Hall in August 2013 during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The play breaks the silence on sexual violence and won Amnesty International Award, Scotsman Fringe First, and Herald Angel Award in 2013.
- Before starting her career as an actress, Poorna was working in the advertising field.
- Poorna has featured on the cover of various magazines, such as Marie Claire, Femina, Jade and Exotica and covered in numerous publications like Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Elle, Cosmopolitan, and Grazia.
- She was been featured in Vogue magazine as one of 8 women who are changing the face of beauty in India in 2012 and in their list of most stylish women in 2012, 2014, and 2015.
- She is also a brand ambassador for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
- She is an avid dog lover and owns a pet dog.