Hometown: Bhind, Madhya Pradesh
Age: 49 Years
|Full Name||Pragya Chandrapal Singh Thakur|
|Profession(s)||Politician, Beggar The Hindu|
|Known For||Being a Hindu Hardliner|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet inches- 5’ 5”
|Political Party||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
|Political Journey||• During her college days, she was an active member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and later joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
• In the 2019 General Elections, she was elected as an MP, and she won against the Congress leader, Digvijaya Singh from the Bhopal Constituency of Madhya Pradesh.
|Date of Birth||2 February 1970 (Monday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||49 Years|
|Birthplace||Datia, Madhya Pradesh|
|Hometown||Bhind, Madhya Pradesh|
|College||Lahar Degree College, Bijpura, Madhya Pradesh|
|Educational Qualification||M. A. (History)|
|Hobbies||Reading, Bike-Riding, Travelling|
|Controversies||• On 29 September 2008, three bombs went off in the state of Gujarat and Maharashtra. Two of them exploded near a Mosque in Malegaon, Maharashtra which killed 6 people and more than 100 people were injured. Pragya was arrested and imprisoned for 9 years. However, in 2017, she was given a clean chit and acquitted of all charges. India Today
• BJP MLA, Sunil Joshi proposed her to marry him, but she refused. Later, Sunil Joshi was shot dead in December 2007. She, along with seven others, was held responsible for the murder, and she was arrested. In 2017, she was freed from the charge. TOI
• She remains in limelight for her controversial and provocative speeches. In 2018, during a speech in Gujarat, she referred to Sonia Gandhi as 'Italy Wali Bai' (a Maid from Italy).
• During the campaigning for the 2019 General Election, she was banned by the election commission from campaigning for 72 hours. The ban was imposed as she was seeking votes on religious lines which breached the Model Code of Conduct (MCC). She also commented on the Babri Mosque demolition and said- "We removed a blot from the country. We went to demolish the structure and I feel extremely proud that God gave me the opportunity to do that. We will make sure a Ram temple is constructed at that site." The News Minute
• In May 2019, she termed Nathuram Godse (Assassin of Mahatma Gandhi) as a patriot. After her comment, Prime Minister, Narendra Modi said that he would never be able to forgive Pragya Thakur for insulting Mahatma Gandhi. Hindustan Times
• In July 2019, Pragya Thakur said to the BJP workers at Sehore, Madhya Pradesh- "We haven't been elected to clean your drains, ok? We haven't been elected to clean your toilets, please understand. The work for which I have been elected, I will do honestly, I have said that before and I will say it again." Over this comment, she was denounced heavily by the party. NDTV
• In August 2019, she stoked a controversy by saying that the opposition was using "Marak Shakti" to harm the BJP leaders. Her statement came after the demise of prominent politicians like Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj within a single month. India Today
• She was removed from the consultative committee of the defence ministry a day after she described Mahatma Gandhi's assassin Nathuram Godse as a patriot in the parliament during the winter session in 2019. Pragya Thakur, a first-time MP, made the Godse comment during a discussion on the Special Protection Group (Amendment) Bill on 27 November 2019. NDTV
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Chandrapal Singh (Ayurvedic Practitioner)
Mother- Sarla Devi
• Upama Singh
• Pratibha Jha
|Assets/Properties (as in 2019) MyNeta||Cash: 90,000 INR
Bank Deposits: 99,824 INR
Jewellery: gold worth 1.12 lacs INR; silver worth 1.42 lacs INR
|Salary (approx.)||1 lac INR + other allowances per month (as an MP) Wikipedia|
|Net Worth (approx.)||4.44 lacs INR (as in 2019) MyNeta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sadhvi Pragya
- Pragya Thakur is an Indian politician from the BJP and a Member of Parliament from Bhopal.
- Her father was an Ayurvedic doctor in Lahar, Bhind, Madhya Pradesh. Her father was also closely connected to Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
- Apart from being an Ayurvedic doctor, her father had also served the government as a “demonstrator” in the agriculture department.
- Under the influence of her father, Pragya joined the RSS and became active in state politics.
- During her college days, she was considered a good orator, and her speech used to influence thousands of people. She has also worked in “Durga Vahini” (women’s wing of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad).
- Pragya decided to remain unmarried and became close to “Saints.” She made her hermitage in Surat, Gujarat and travelled the whole country from there.
- During the polls, she became the star campaigner of BJP. During the tenure of UPA government, she was accused of conspiring a bomb attack in Malegaon and got imprisoned for 9 years. According to her, she was beaten and highly tortured by the Police officers. On this allegation, she said,
- On 19 April 2019, she sparked another controversy by saying that the 26/11 hero Hemant Karkare died because she had “cursed” him. According to her, when she was arrested in the Malegaon Blast case, Hemant was told to leave her; as he had no solid evidence against her, but he refused to do so. She then cursed him, and he was killed in the terrorist attack as a result of the curse.
- On 23 December 2019, she came into the limelight when a video of her went viral on social media. Reportedly, she refused to move from the emergency row, where wheelchair passengers are not allocated seats. When the SpiceJet officials asked her to move, she said that she has paid extra for the seat, “emergency” was not written on the row, and she asked for the rule book. She did not move from the seat, and she delayed the flight by 45 minutes. A video of a fellow passenger who is seen telling her that being an MP she should not trouble the other passengers and asking the officials to remove her from the flight surfaced online.
This wins the Internet:pic.twitter.com/4KFpDpbJYM
— santhoshd (@santhoshd) December 22, 2019