|Profession||Poet, Lyricist, Pedagogist|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper (semi-bald)|
|Date of Birth||1 January 1950 (Sunday)|
|Birthplace||Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|Date of Death||11 August 2020 (Tuesday)|
|Time of Death||5.00 pm India Today|
|Place of Death||Aurobindo Hospital, Indore, Madhya Pradesh|
|Death Cause||Cardiac Arrest (after being tested positive for the novel coronavirus) India Today|
|Age (at the time of death)||70 Years|
|Hometown||Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|School||Nutan School Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India|
|College/University||Islamia Karimia College (ikdc) Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
Barkatullah University, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
Bhoj university, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
|Educational Qualification||MA in Urdu Literature from Barkatullah University, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh in 1975
Ph.D. in Urdu Literature from the Bhoj University of Madhya Pradesh in 1985
|Family||Father- Rafatullah Qureshi (a cloth mill worker)
Mother- Maqbool Un Nisa Begum
|Favourite Sports||Hockey, Football|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Children||Sons- Faisal Rahat,
Daughter- Shibli Irfan
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rahat Indori
- Did Rahat Indori smoke:? Yes
- Did Rahat Indori drink alcohol:? Yes
- He was born to a cloth mill worker in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- He was the 4th child of his parents.
- He recited his first poetry at the age of 19 in 1972.
- He was brilliant in both studies and sports. He was the captain of Hockey and Football teams in both school and college.
- After completing graduation in 1973, he spent 10 years in a confused state. He did nothing during that period and used to wander hither and thither. However, after being convinced by his friends, he pursued his post-graduation in Urdu Literature and passed out with Gold Medal.
- He was given an offer to teach at Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore. Since the prerequisite to teaching there was to have a Ph.D. degree, he pursued a Ph.D. in Urdu Literature and started teaching there as Professor of Urdu Literature. He taught there for 16 years. Later, more than hundreds of students did a Ph.D. under his guidance.
- Before coming to poetry, he used to be a painter and even started painting on a commercial scale. He used to paint Bollywood Film’s posters and banners. He designed the cover of books even during the fag end of his life.
- His lyrics were used in more than 11 Bollywood films including the Blockbuster Munna Bhai MBBS.
- He wrote poetry in a simple & lucid language.
- He was known to recite his couplets in a very expressive style.
- He was considered a celebrated poet in India and worldwide and had traveled globally to recite poetry.
- On 11 August 2020, Mr. Indori died of COVID-19-related complications at Indore’s Aurobindo Hospital. After his death, many of his couplets become relevant:
ये हादसा तो किसी दिन गुजरने वाला था, मैं बच भी जाता तो इक रोज मरने वाला था।”
- After his death, he was heavily trolled on social media for one of his couplets that he had used against the former Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in a derogatory manner. The lines of his couplet read,
निकाह किया नहीं, तो फिर यह मर्द कैसा ? घुटनों से काम लिया ही नहीं, तो फिर दर्द कैसा?”
2001: AB Vajpayee underwent a knee rplcmnt surgery.
Ever since ths GREAT Urdu poet @rahatindori claiming his shaayri 2b worth CRORES kept reciting ths disgusting couplet abt Vajpayee's manhood jst bcz he was a Hindu bachelor for life.
— Neta Ji (@AapGhumaKeLeLo_) August 11, 2020
References/Sources: [ + ]
|1, 2.||↑||India Today|