|Profession(s)||MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Athlete, Former Freestyle Wrestler|
|Famous For||Being the sister of Geeta Phogat and Babita Phogat|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 156 cm
in meters- 1.56 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 1”
|Category||48 kg freestyle|
|International Debut||FILA Junior World Championships in Zagreb, Croatia (2014)|
|Coach/Mentor||Mahavir Singh Phogat (Father and coach)|
|Achievements/Medals||• Junior Asia Championship Gold Medalist (2011)
• Cadet Asia Championship Gold Medalist (2011)
• Cadet World Championship Bronze Medalist (2011)
• Junior Asian Championship Bronze Medalist (2014)
• Junior World Wrestling Championship Silver Medalist (2014)
• Commonwealth Wrestling Gold Medalist (2016)
• World U-23 Wrestling Championship Silver Medalist (2017)
|Date of Birth||2 May 1994 (Monday)|
|Age (as of 2023)||29 Years|
|Birthplace||Balali, Haryana, India|
|Hometown||Balali, Haryana, India|
|Educational Qualification||10th Standard|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Mahavir Singh Phogat (Amateur Wrestler & Senior Olympics Coach)
Mother- Shobha (Daya) Kaur (Homemaker)
|Siblings||Brother- Dushyant Phogat (Modu; younger)
Sister(s)- Geeta Phogat (Wrestler; elder), Babita Phogat (Wrestler; elder), Sangeeta Phogat (Wrestler; younger)
|Favourite Actor||Aamir Khan|
|Favourite Actress||Sanjeeda Sheikh|
|Favourite Musicians||Yo Yo Honey Singh, Justin Bieber|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ritu Phogat
- Ritu was born to a renowned Indian wrestler and senior Olympics coach, Mahavir Singh Phogat.
- At the age of 8, she started receiving training in wrestling from her father, Mahavir Singh Phogat.
- Initially, she found the training hard, but gradually, she developed an interest in wrestling.
- Ritu dropped out of her school after completing her 10th standard to focus on her wrestling career. The Hindu
- She competes in the 48 kg freestyle category.
- Ritu made her international debut in 2014 with the FILA Junior World Championship, which was held in Zagreb, Croatia.
- In October 2016, Ritu won her second consecutive title at the annual National Wrestling Championship.
- Subsequently, she bagged a Gold at the 2016 Commonwealth Wrestling Championship held in Singapore.
- In December 2016, Ritu became the most expensive female wrestler at the Pro Wrestling League auction; leaving seasoned players like Sakshi Malik and Geeta Phogat behind. She received a price of Rs. 36 lakh by the Jaipur Ninjas franchise.
- In November 2017, she won a silver at the World U-23 Wrestling Championship, which was held in Bydgoscz, Poland. She became the first Indian to do so.
- In February 2019, Ritu quit wrestling to make a career in MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). She signed up with ONE Championship and was quoted saying,
It is both an honour and a privilege to join ONE Championship, the best and biggest martial arts organization in the world. Wrestling will always be my first love, but I feel that it is time to expand my horizons.”
- Subsequently, she flew to Singapore and enrolled herself in the EVOLVE MAA organisation to receive the training on different martial art forms like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Wrestling, and Boxing.
- On 16 November 2019, she made her MMA debut with the ONE Championship in which she played a match against Cindy Tiong, a veteran kickboxer from Malaysia.
- She is a follower of the Iranian wrestling team.
- Ritu is a fitness enthusiast and visits the gym regularly.
- Based on her and her family’s life, a biopic film “Dangal” was made by Aamir Khan in 2016 to showcase their path to success.
- Ritu considers her sisters, Geeta and Babita, her inspirations. Talking about them, she says,
Though both Geeta and Babita inspire me a lot, I really look up to Geeta. She is an inspiring figure. And, my other cousin sister Vinesh is close to my age and is also in the same weight category.”
- Her cousin, Vinesh Phogat, is a wrestler and a gold medalist at the Commonwealth Games. Her another cousin, Priyanka Phogat, is also an international level wrestler.
- Ritu revealed in an interview that the total time she dedicated to her game was close to six hours a day.
- Her breakfast consists of Juice, Curd, and an almond shake, which is prepared by her father.
- When asked about developing an interest in martial arts, Ritu says,
I used to watch martial arts on YouTube from 2012. I did not know where it is trained. But I would always ask myself, why India does not have a fighter here. This was always there in my head.”
- In an interview, when Ritu was asked if her family had supported her decision to join MMA, she said,
When I got the offer from them, I did not want to let go and I spoke to everyone in the family. They were very supportive.”
- In October 2019, Ritu Phogat announced that she would become India’s first world champion in the MMA discipline within two years.