|Full Name||Malishka Mendonsa|
|Names Earned||Mumbai Ki Rani Radio and Music|
|Profession(s)||Radio Jockey and Actress|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 160 cm
in meters- 1.60 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 2”
|Debut||Film: Tumhari Sulu (2017) as 'RJ Albeli'
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• OTT & Digital Marketing Innovation Awards - Digital Influencer of the Year
• Dadasaheb Phalke Award - RJ of the Year in 2019
• Indian Excellence in Radio Awards - RJ of the Year in 2019
|Date of Birth||11 October 1981 (Sunday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||38 Years|
|Hometown||Santacruz East, Mumbai|
|College/University||• St Xavier’s College, Mumbai
• University of Mumbai
• Sophia College, Mumbai
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Arts from the St Xavier’s College, Mumbai
• MA in Political Science from the University of Mumbai
• Post Graduation in Mass Communication from Sophia College, Mumbai
|Hobbies||Travelling, Reading, Watching Movies in Theatres, Going for Drives, Adventure Sports, Singing, and White Water Rafting|
|Controversies||• In 2017, she posted a video and addressed the issue of potholes in Mumbai; criticising Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). After her video went viral, she was subjected to the rage of Shiv Sena, the ruling party in BMC. Following this, a Shiv Sena corporator released his parody, countering Malishka’s song. In early 2019s, BMC invited Malishka to monitor their pre-monsoon work and also briefed about the working of the civic body. However, this did not stop Malishka, and she posted another video featuring potholes. The Hindu|
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Name not known (died, when Malishka was 13)
Mother- Lily Mendonsa
|Actor(s)||Amitabh Bachchan, Abhay Deol|
|Actress(s)||Madhuri Dixit, Kareena Kapoor|
|TV Host(s)||Oprah Winfrey, Elle DeGeneres|
|Singer(s)||Sunidhi Chauhan, Rihanna|
|Travel Destination||Andaman and Nicobar Islands|
Some Lesser Known Facts About RJ Malishka
- As a child, Malishka was a confident girl and was always longing to go on stage. She used to wait for the teacher’s day or children’s day, just to be on stage.
- During her school days, she used to be a part of all forms of activities including plays, Bharatanatyam dance training, and singing.
- During her college days, she was a part of a PR team and also a singer in her college band.
- RJ Malishka started her career in the advertising industry. She worked as an intern to the Indian ad film director Prahlad Kakkar. However, she couldn’t find the field so intriguing and left it. She has also worked as a voice-over artist for Discovery Channel in Hindi.
- She started her career as a radio jockey with “Win 94.6 FM” and worked with them for two years. Later, she joined Rediff Radio for seven months and then started working with Red FM.
- She has hosted popular radio shows like Morning No 1, Best Breakfast Programme and M Bole Toh.
- Her show “Morning No 1 with Malishka” won the Indian Excellence in Radio Awards for Best Breakfast Programme/Show (Hindi) for four consecutive years, i.e., from 2006 to 2010.
- She trained actress Vidya Balan for her role of an RJ in the Bollywood film ‘Lage Raho Munnabhai’ (2006). Talking about the experience, she said,
I guess it was Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s idea. You know, Raju Hirani (Munnabhai director) called me once and said that Chopra is a huge fan of mine, and wanted to mould a character in their next film on my personality. After that, Vidya would come over to the studios to learn the ropes and the mannerisms that go to make an RJ. I wouldn’t say she copied me, because I stretch the ‘gooooood’ in my greeting, and she did the ‘mooorning’!
- In 2014, she entered the dance reality show ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’- season 7 as a wild-card entrant but got eliminated in the 9th week.
- She has also made guest appearances in one of the biggest TV reality shows of India, Bigg Boss in many of its seasons.
- She has also dubbed for the Hindi version of the Hollywood films; The Incredibles (2004) as ‘Mirage(Mona)’ and Thor: Ragnarok (2017) as ‘Valkyrie / Scrapper 14.’
- In 2017, she started to lose weight while rehearsing for her performances in the show “Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa.” Her weight loss journey of losing 21 kilos became viral on social media. Talking about her experience, she said,
I love dancing. While rehearsing, I started losing weight. Madhuri Dixit said, ‘now, don’t put on weight.’ But right now I’m 62, and want to get to 58 kilos. I don’t want to be skinny.”
- In 2017, her video addressing the issue of potholes in Mumbai went viral. She targeted Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) in the video, which resulted in enmity between her and BMC.