Girlfriend: Shaheen Bhatt
Age: 39 Years
Hometown: South Mumbai
|Full name||Rohan Joshi Dilip Zauba Corp|
|Profession(s)||Standup comedian, Digital creator, Actor, YouTuber|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 180 cm
in meters- 1.80 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 11”
|Debut||Film: Baar Baar Dekho (2016) as Raj
|Date of Birth||22 February 1983 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||39 Years|
|Birthplace||South Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Hometown||South Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|School||Cumballa Hill High School, Mumbai|
|College/University||KJ Somaiya College of Engineering, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification(s)||• An engineering course from KJ Somaiya College of Engineering, Mumbai (dropout) The Indian Express
• A media course Humans of Bombay's Facebook Page
Note: He dropped out of KJ Somaiya College of Engineering, Mumbai, after the second semester as he was bullied by his Engineering Drawing teacher. The Indian Express
|Ethnicity||Half- Gujarati and Half-Maharashtrian Telegraph India|
|Controversies||The Roast Controversy (2014)
In 2014, various FIR were registered on obscenity charges against AIB for its celebrity roast, All India Bakchod Knockout (2014). Although the quartet was booked under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code in various courts across the country, no progress or arrests were made in any of the cases. NDTV
Falsely accused of Molestation (2017)
In 2017, the Reddit user shadenfreude557 claimed that Rohan Joshi had molested her. In less than two hours after her first post, shadenfreude557 again took to Reddit to announce that her claims were false and that Joshi was a “great guy.” Apparently, the Reddit user was trying to prove the innocence of TVF CEO Arunabh Kumar, who was previously accused of molesting multiple women. The Reddit user wanted to showcase that serious allegations like that of sexual harassment can easily be levelled against anyone. Shadenfreude557 wanted to depict that the victim in Kumar’s case had tricked everyone into believing that she was molested. India Today
Accused of Mocking Hindu gods and goddesses (2020)
In 2020, anonymous Twitter users started highlighting old posts of Indian comics, including Joshi, in which their statements were believed to "hurt religious sentiments." Many comedy sketches surfaced on the internet under the hashtag #HinduphobicComedyIndustry. Consequently, Joshi deactivated his Twitter account saying that the trolling had moved passed the virtual boundaries as his phone number and address were leaked. He also posted an apology on his Instagram account and requested trollers to stay away from his family. The Free Press Journal
Trolled For His Comment About Raju Srivastava’s Death (2022)
In 2022, Rohan Joshi posted a comment on Atul Khatri’s tweet after the demise of celebrated Indian comedian Raju Srivastava which was considered inappropriate by many. While paying tribute to Raju Srivastava, Atul Khatri called his death "a loss for the industry." In the comment section of the post, Rohan responded by saying,
"We haven’t lost a thing. Whether it was Kamra whether it was roast or any comic in the news, Raju Srivastava took every opportunity he ever got to s**t on newer comics especially after the new wave of stand up started. He went on every f***all news channel every time he was invited to go s*** on an upcoming arty form and call it offensive just because he couldn’t understand it and new stars were rising. He might have told a few good jokes but he understood nothing about the spirit of comedy or defending someone’s right to say something even if you don’t agree. F**k him and good riddance (sic).”
Later, when many started trolling for his remark, he deleted the comment. He also apologised writing, The Indian Express
"Yehi soch kar delete kiya kyuki after a minute of anger I realised today is not about my personal feelings. Sorry if it hurt and thanks for the perspective (sic).”
A Series of Offensive Tweets
In 2022, Joshi's Twitter comments on Raju Srivastava’s death outraged many. Consequently, various Twitter users started highlighting Joshi's previous controversial tweets in which he had taunted supporters of PM Narendra Modi, posted derogatory comments on NCP leader Sharad Pawar, and insulted the CM of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee. Outlook
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Shaheen Bhatt (rumoured) Bollywood Shaadis
|Parents||Father- Dilip Joshi (deceased)
Mother- Kumudini Kiran Joshi (worked at Foundation for Environmental Medicine)
|Siblings||Sister- Renuka Modi (works at VOGUE India)
Some lesser known facts about Rohan Joshi
- Rohan Joshi is an Indian standup comedian, digital creator, actor, and YouTuber, who is known for being a member of the Mumbai-based comedy company All India Bakchod (AIB). Joshi scripted and starred in several YouTube sketches for AIB, and he is also one of the co-creators of the satirical news comedy show On Air with AIB.
- Rohan actively took part in extracurricular activities during his school days.
- After completing his media course, Rohan worked as a journalist for a while. Joshi briefly worked for CNBC and also wrote a humour column for Mid-Day.
- The onset of his comedy career can be traced back to 2008 when Mumbai’s standup circuit was still budding. It was Weirdass Hamateur Night, a national comic hunt launched in Mumbai by ace comedian Vir Das, that brought together Tanmay Bhat, Rohan Joshi, and Ashish Shakya. While Joshi, Bhat, and Shakya entered the Mumbai standup circuit in 2008, Gursimran Khamba joined the trio when he moved from Dehli to Mumbai in 2011 to attend the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS). Along with Khamba, they co-wrote television scripts and jokes for MTV, Channel V, and the Filmfare Awards.
- Joshi worked as a writer for the television mini-series Bring On the Night (2012), telecast on MTV India.
- In 2010, Joshi won the open-mike Hamateur Night and decided to pursue a career in comedy.
- Bhat approached Joshi after seeing his Google Talk status about him performing a stand-up. Thereafter, the two connected over turning their hobby into a full-fledged profession.
- Until 2008, Joshi and Bhat wrote content for the youth-focused humour magazine JLT (a.k.a. Just Like That), which was weekly published by The Times of India. Meanwhile, the two also worked for Vir Das’ company, Weirdass Comedy.
- Besides that, Joshi and Bhat also performed improv with Weirdass Comedy’s improvisational comedy troupe called The Cardinal Bengans, consisting of Vir Das, Kavi Shastri, Ashwin Mushran, and Anu Menon.
- In 2011, Rohan performed at the ‘Fringe Festival’ in Edinburgh. In the same year, he also performed at The Comedy Store in London, along with other Indian comics.
- AIB originated in 2012 as a humour/pop-culture podcast co-started by comedians Bhat and Khamba while Joshi and Shakya were frequent guests on it. In 2013, the quartet co-founded the YouTube channel of the same name that produced humorous sketches.
- The quartet came into the limelight with the parody Bollywood film awards ceremony ‘The Royal Turds’ in which they satirically gave out the‘ Worst of the Year’ award in different categories.
- Later, when Alia Bhatt featured in an AIB parody video of her song “Ishq Wala Love” from Student of the Year (2012), the quartet gained popularity for openly trolling Bollywood and Bollywood celebrities.
- Thereafter, AIB started producing commercially viable branded content when sponsors kicked in for advertisement and collaboration.
- Rohan starred in numerous videos of the AIB Honest Series including AIB: Honest Indian Flights (2014) as Trigger Boy and AIB: Honest Diwali (2013) as Shopper, and AIB: Honest Bars & Restaurants (2016) as a vegetarian guy.
- AIB rose to popularity with its numerous YouTube video going viral on the internet including AIB: Rape – It’s Your Fault (2013), Alia Bhatt – Genius of the Year (2014), and AIB: Every Bollywood Party Song feat. Irrfan (2015).
- In 2014, AIB rose to prominence with the celebrity roast adaptation All India Bakchod Knockout. The video of the show was uploaded on their YouTube channel on January 28, 2015. It was hosted by Karan Johar, while Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor were roasted. Although AIB shook India’s fragile morality and attracted widespread public backlash from right-wing political activists, the show catapulted to the collective’s massive fame.
- In 2015, Joshi c0-founded AIB’s holding company, One Two Flip Entertainment.
- From 2015 to 2018, Rohan appeared in Hotstar’s show On Air With AIB in which he satirically presented news.
- Rohan appeared as a Judge in the 2018 Indian stand-up comedy competition TV series TLC Queens Of Comedy.
- In the aftermath of the 2018 #MeToo campaign, in which Khamba and Bhat were accused of sexual harassment cases, AIB became inactive.
- Acting credits under his belt include the Indian web series The Great Indian Dysfunctional Family (2018) and Mentalhood (2020).
- In 2021, he was a part of the team IDGAF Iguanas on the reality comedy show Comedy Premium League; Joshi’s team included Sumukhi Suresh, Sumaira Shaikh, and Tanmay Bhat.
- He was also a mentor for contestants of the Indian stand-up comedy competition TV series Comicstaan (2022), which streamed on Amazon Prime Video.
- After AIB’s YouTube channel became defunct in 2018, Rohan Joshi actively started posting videos on his eponymous YouTube channel. His channel features a series of videos titled 30 questions with Rohan Joshi, live streams of games (like crosswords, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and Ultimate Chicken Horse), and his podcast The Sidepod.
- In 2019, Joshi shared a story on the Facebook page Humans of Bombay revealing that he had his first panic attack when he was 19. While attending KJ Somaiya College of Engineering, Joshi was bullied by his Engineering Drawing teacher who kept failing Joshi in an assignment for no apparent reason. While recalling the incident he also revealed that his teacher made him redo the assignment around 20 times. Thereafter, he started experiencing anxiety attacks following which he voluntarily failed to get dismissed from the college.
- Joshi has two pet cats and often posts pictures with them on his social media accounts.
- Joshi occasionally enjoys consuming alcoholic beverages.