|Full Name||Sharad Govindrao Pawar|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 9”
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper (semi-bald)|
|Political Party||Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)
|Political Journey||• In 1967 for the first time, Pawar was elected to State Assembly of Maharashtra representing as a member of Congress Party.
• In 1978 he formed a coalition government with Janata Party, breaking away from the Congress Party.
• Pawar took over the presidency of the Indian National Congress (Socialist) in 1983.
• In 1984, he was elected to Lok Sabha for the first time from Baramati Constituency.
• In 1985, he became the leader of opposition in the state assembly of Maharashtra when Congress Socialist won 54 seats out of 288 seats.
• In 1987 Pawar returned to Congress to stop Shiv Sena. In June 1988, Pawar was chosen as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra by then Prime Minister of India Rajiv Gandhi.
• In 1989 State Assembly Election Congress received 141 seats out of 288, fell short of an absolute majority in the state assembly. With the support of 12 independent or unaffiliated members of the legislative assembly (MLAs), Pawar was sworn in as Chief Minister of Maharashtra second time.
• Pawar became the Defence Minister in 1991 in the government of Narasimha Rao.
• On 6 March 1993, Pawar was sworn in as chief minister of Maharashtra for the fourth time.
• In 1999, Pawar along with P.A. Sangma laid the foundation of the Nationalist Congress Party.
• Pawar joined the UPA after 2004 and managed the portfolio of the Ministry of Agriculture. He retained this portfolio when the UPA coalition government was reelected in 2009.
• In the 2014 Maharashtra Assembly Elections, his party (NCP) lost the power in Maharashtra. In the same year, he was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharshtra.
• On 2 May 2023, he announced that he was stepping down from the post of NCP President. Hindustan Times However, he took back his resignation as the party chief on 5 May 2023, saying he couldn't "disrespect" the feelings of supporters, who requested him to continue as NCP chief. NDTV
|Date of Birth||12 December 1940 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||82 Years|
|College/University||Brihan Maharashtra College of Commerce, University of Pune|
|Caste||OBC The Gazette of India
Note: According to the Gazette of India those who have surnames like 'Powar' or 'Pawar' but don't belong to this community, should not be included in the aforementioned community.
|Address||8 Municipal House No. 45, J-Silver Oaks Bungalow, Bhulabhai Desai Road, (Mafatlal Park), Mumbai City, Pin 400026|
|Hobbies||Watching Cricket, Travelling|
|Controversies||• In 1992-93, then CM of Maharashtra Sudhakarrao Naik disclosed that Pawar asked him to "go easy on Pappu Kalani", a well-known criminal-turned-politician.
• Pawar is also alleged to have close links with the underworld don Dawood Ibrahim through Dawood's henchman Lakhan Singh who was also a suspect in the 2G spectrum scam.
• In 2007, BJP alleged that Pawar was involved in a multi-crore scam involving wheat imports.
• In 2011, Sharad Pawar declared his assets to be worth US$2.7 million, but the critics claimed that his wealth far exceeded the stated amount.
• Former corporate lobbyist Nira Radia told the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) that Pawar might have spoken with former telecom minister A. Raja about the allocation of spectrum and license to Swan Telecom.
• After attending a literary function in November 2011, Pawar was smacked by a youth named Harvinder Singh for his involvement in Corruptions.
|Relationships & More|
Daughter- Supriya Sule
|Parents||Father- Govindrao Pawar
Mother- Shardabai Pawar
|Siblings||Brother- Pratap Govindrao Pawar
Sister- Saroj Patil
|Politician||Yashwantrao Chavan (First Chief Minister of Maharashtra)|
|Salary (as the Rajya Sabha Member)||Rs. 100,000 + Constituency allowances Rs. 45,000 + Parliament office allowance Rs. 45,000 + Parliament session allowance Rs. 2,000 per day rajyasabha.nic.in|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 32.16 Crore (as of 2014) Business Standard|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sharad Pawar
- Sharad Pawar hails from Katewadi, a village that is 10 kilometers away from Baramati.
- Pawar was an average student during his student life.
- Pawar’s daughter, Supriya Sule is also an active politician.
- Sharad Pawar’s younger brother, Pratap Govindrao Pawar runs the influential Marathi daily newspaper, Sakal.
- Pawar has a great interest in sports such as cricket, kabaddi, kho kho, wrestling, and football. He has managed many sports departments of his state like Mumbai Cricket Association, Maharashtra Wrestling Association, Maharashtra Kabbadi Association, Maharashtra Kho Kho Association, Maharashtra Olympics Association, etc.
- He became the president of BCCI in 2005.
- In 2010, he became the president of ICC (International Cricket Council).
- In 2017, he was given the second-highest civilian award of the Republic of India, the Padma Vibhushan.
- On 2 May 2023, Sharad Pawar announced his decision of quitting the post of NCP President and said that he would remain active in politics. While addressing the party workers at his autobiography book launch in Mumbai, he said,
I have three years left of Rajya Sabha membership in Parliament, during which I will focus on issues related to Maharashtra and India, with a caveat of not taking any responsibility. After a long period of public life from May 1, 1960, to May 1, 2023, it is necessary to take a step back. Hence, I have decided to step down as President of the Nationalist Congress Party.” Hindustan Times