|Famous For||Being the wife of late Indian playback singer Dr. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||5 September 1969 Sakshi Post|
|Husband/Spouse||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam (playback singer)
|Children||Son- S. P. B. Charan (playback singer)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Savithri Balasubrahmanyam
- Savithri Balasubrahmanyam is the wife of the legendary Indian playback singer Dr. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam who had sung over 40,000 songs in many languages in his career and won numerous awards and also honoured with the Padma Shri.
- Her husband, Dr. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, died at MGM Healthcare hospital in Chennai on 25 September 2020 at 1:04 PM (IST). He was admitted to MGM Healthcare in Chennai on 5 August 2020 after he tested positive for COVID-19.
- On 15 August 2020, Savithri was also tested positive for COVID-19, and she was admitted to a hospital for further treatment.
- Savithri and her husband, Dr. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, celebrated their 51st wedding anniversary on 5 September 2020 in the ICU ward itself. Reportedly, Savithri paid a visit to MGM Healthcare hospital in Chennai where her husband was admitted, and the couple celebrated their wedding anniversary by cutting a cake in the ICU following all the safety measures. Sakhi Post
- Savithri’s son, S. P. B. Charan, who is also a playback singer, regularly updated about his parents well being through his social media accounts. In a video shared on Instagram, S. P. B. Charan claimed that his mother was doing well. He said,
She is recovering really well. She is back home.”
- In an interview, Dr. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam revealed that he had eloped with Savithri on a Lambretta scooter to get married to each other.
My first bike was a chocolate-and-beige Lambretta scooter I bought from a friend who worked as a poster designer. It costed ₹3,200, which was quite expensive for me, considering that I was given ₹300 for a song back then. My love bloomed on the Lambretta. Savitri and I went dating on the scooter and we loved the ride. It was on the Lambretta that we eloped and got married.” The Hindu
- Savithri has two children with S. P. Balasubrahmanyam; a son and a daughter, and it was Savithri who had mostly looked after her children while they were growing up as S. P. Balasubrahmanyam almost remained busy in his playback singing, and in an interview, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam had regretted not watching his kids grow up due to his busy schedules.
- In an interview, while talking about his wife Savithri, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam said that Savithri used to tease him for encouraging outsiders in the music industry over his family members.
My wife Savithri teases me saying that I encouraged outsiders more than family members. I never stopped them from using my name, but whatever they have earned today is on their own mettle.” Telangana Today
- Savithri was very vexed with her husband’s smoking. Reportedly, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, on a given day, used to smoke 4-5 cigarettes, which continued for 35 years. While talking about it in an interview, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam said,
At times I thought of quitting, but with friends I would end up smoking again. It vexed my wife a lot but I was always ready with an excuse. I finally stopped when my daughter asked me to quit for her sake. Funnily enough, I made most of my friends quit smoking as well.” Telangana Today