|Real Name||Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Hussain Qureshi|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 183 cm
in meters- 1.83 m
in feet inches- 6’
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 80 kg
in pounds- 176 lbs
|Political Party||Pakistan Muslim League (PML-N) (1986-93)
Pakistan Peoples Party (1993-2011)
Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) (2011-present)
|Political Journey||• For the first time, Qureshi was elected to the Provincial Assembly of Punjab from Multan in the 1985 Pakistani General Election.
• In 1986, he joined the Pakistani Muslim League (PML). Later, he joined the faction of PML led by Nawaz Sharif, which would later become PML-N.
• In the 1988 Pakistani General Election, Qureshi was re-elected to the Provincial Assembly of Punjab from Multan constituency and was made the Minister of Planning and Development in the provincial cabinet of Punjab.
• He became the Minister of Finance in the government of the Chief Minister, Manzoor Wattoo after winning his seat from the same constituency in the 1990 General Election.
• In 1993, he joined the Pakistan Peoples Party when Nawaz Sharfi refused to give him a ticket and elected to the National Assembly of Pakistan for the first time from the same constituency. He became the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs under the then Prime Minister, Benazir Bhutto.
• Qureshi lost his seat to Makhdoom Javed Hashmi of PML-N in the Pakistani general election, 1997. Then President of Pakistan, Pervez Musharraf offered him a position in in the Council of Economic Advisers, but he refused.
• From 2000 to 2002, he served as the Mayor of Multan.
• In the 2002 General Election, Qureshi was re-elected to the National Assembly of Pakistan from Multan after defeating Makhdoom Javed Hashmi.
• In 2006, Benazir Bhutto appointed him as the President of Pakistan Peoples Party Punjab.
• Qureshi again won his seat for the third time in the 2008 General Election. This time, he was the potential candidate for the post of the Prime Minister of Pakistan, however, he was appointed as the Minister of Foreign Affairs in the cabinet of Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani.
• In 2011, he resigned from Pakistan Peoples Party and joined the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) at a rally in Ghotki.
• On 4 December 2011, he was appointed as the first vice-chairman of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf.
• In 2013, he was re-elected to the National Assembly of Pakistan.
• After winning in the 2018 General Election, Qureshi was made the Minister of Foreign Affairs in the government of Imran Khan.
|Date of Birth||22 June 1956|
|Age (as in 2018)||62 Years|
|Birthplace||Murree, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Cancer|
|School||Aitchison College, Lahore, Pakistan|
|College/University||• Forman Christian College, Lahore, Pakistan
• University of Punjab
• Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, England
|Educational Qualification||M.A. (Law & History)|
|Controversies||• In 2011, Qureshi faced criticism in Pakistan, when it was disclosed that his son, Zain H. Qureshi, was working as a Legislative Fellow in the office of Senator and then U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry. Archive
• In 2018, Qureshi was heavily criticized for his controversial “googly” comments in which he hurt the sentiments of Sikhs. He said, “Prime Minister Imran Khan bowled a “googly” to ensure Indian government’s presence at the groundbreaking ceremony of the landmark Kartarpur Corridor.” However, he defended himself by saying, “Linking my comments to Sikh sentiments deliberate attempt to mislead and misinterpret.” IndiaTV
|Relationships & More|
|Children||Son- Zain Hussain Qureshi
Daughters- Gauhar Bano Qureshi and Meher Bano Qureshi
|Parents||Father- Makhdoom Sajjad Hussain Qureshi (Politician)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Net Worth (approx.)||Pakistani ₨ 283.6 million
US$2.7 million Dawn
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shah Mehmood Qureshi
- Qureshi’s father Makhdoom Sajjad Hussain Qureshi was the member of the Senate of Pakistan. His father was a close friend of General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq who appointed him the Governor of Punjab.
- In February 2011, when the Union cabinet was re-shuffled in Pakistan, Qureshi was offered the post of Minister of Water and Power, but he declined by saying that he was not interested in water and power ministry in place of foreign affairs.
- When Qureshi won his seat in the General Election of 2018, he was nominated by PTI for the office of Speaker of the National Assembly. However, he showed reluctance to the office despite Imran Khan’s persuasion.
- He is one of the three prominent politicians from Multan District, the other two being the Yousaf Raza Gillani (Former Prime Minister of Pakistan) and Javed Hashmi.
- In February 2019, when the Indian Air Force conducted the Air Strike in Balakot, Pakistan, he criticized the attack and called it the ‘act of aggression.’ Livemint
- Qureshi is an agriculturist also and was the President of the Farmers Association of Pakistan.
📢⚡TRENDING: List of ICC World Cup Winners (1975-2015)
References/Sources: [ + ]