Suvendu Adhikari Age, Caste, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
Age: 50 Years
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters-165 cm
in meters- 1.65 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 5”
|Political Party||• Indian National Congress (1995-1998)
• All India Trinamool Congress (1998-2020)
• Bharatiya Janata Party (2020-present)
|Political Journey||• 1995: Suvendu Adhikari entered politics by joining the Indian National Congress (INC). The same year, he was elected as a councillor from the Contai Municipality of West Bengal.
• 1998: He left the primary membership of INC to join Mamata Banerjee-led All India Trinamool Congress (AITC or TMC). He was one of the earliest members to side with the then newly formed party.
• 2006: He was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) from the Kanthi Dakshin constituency.
• 2009: He was elected as a Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) from the Tamluk constituency.
• 2014: He was re-elected to Lok Sabha from the Tamluk constituency.
• 2016: He was elected to the West Bengal Legislative assembly from the Nandigram constituency. Subsequently, he left his post of Member of Parliament, representing Tamluk in Lok Sabha.
• 2016: After TMC came into power in West Bengal for the second time, consecutively, Suvendu Adhikari was given portfolios of the Transport Department and Irrigation And Waterways Department in West Bengal.
• 2020: Amid his long-standing feud with the TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee, he resigned from his ministerial portfolios and then filed his resignation as MLA of Nandigram on 17 December. The same day, he also gave up the primary membership of the TMC.
• 2020: On 19 December 2020, he signed the primary membership of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
• 2021: In the 2021 West Bengal Assembly Elections, he defeated Mamata Banerjee from the Nandigram seat by 1736 votes. The Times of India On 10 May 2021, BJP picked Suvendu Adhikari as the Leader of Opposition in the West Bengal Assembly. Financial Express
|Date of Birth||15 December 1970 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as of 2020)||50 Years|
|Birthplace||Contai, Purba Medinipur, West Bengal|
|College/University||• P. K. College, Contai
• Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata
|Highest Educational Qualification||MA from Rabindra Bharati University (completed in 2011) My Neta|
|Religion||Hinduism The Wire|
|Caste||Brahmin The Wire|
|Address||Vill-Nandanayakbar, PO+PS-Nandigram, District-Purba Medinipur, Pin-721631|
|Controversies||• In 2010, he was accused of maintaining relations with the Maoists and supplying them firearms with a motive to bring down West Bengal's state government during the anti-land acquisition Nandigram movement in 2007, even after the agitation ended. India Today
• In 2014, his name surfaced in Saradha Group financial scam after one of the employees of the Saradha Group claimed that the company's owner, Sudipto Sen, met Adhikari before fleeing to Kashmir. Business Standard
|Parents||Father- Sisir Kumar Adhikari (BJP politician)
Mother- Gayatri Adhikari
|Siblings||Brother(s)- Dibyendu Adhikari (TMC politician), Soumendu Adhikari (BJP politician), and one other
|Assets/Properties (as of 2021)||Movable Assets: Rs. 59,31,647
Bank Balance: Rs. 46,15,513
|Net Worth (as of 2021)||Rs. 80 Lakh+ Election Commision's official website>|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Suvendu Adhikari
- Suvendu Adhikari is an Indian politician. He joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in December 2020 after serving as a leader of the All India Trinamool Congress (AITC or TMC) for over two decades.
- He rose to prominence in the political sphere of West Bengal after playing a leading role in the success of the anti-land acquisition Nandigram movement in 2007. The protest was held against the then State Government of West Bengal, who was to acquire 1000 acres of rural land in Nandigram to establish a special economic zone in the area.
- Suvendu Adhikari’s father, Sisir Adhikari, is a veteran political leader who was elected to the Lok Sabha on the ticket of TMC. Sisir joined the BJP in March 2021 ahead of the 2021 West Bengal Legislative Assembly election. His younger brother, Dibyendu Adhikari, is a member of TMC and also a Lok Sabha MP, representing the Tamluk constituency. Dibyendu also is likely to join the BJP in the near future. Suvendu’s youngest brother, Soumendu Adhikari, also a former TMC leader, switched to the BJP a few days after Suvendu sided with the BJP.
- Suvendu Adhikari has a Z+ highest category security cover in West Bengal and Y+ security protection in other states. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) gave him the high-end security protection on the same day when he joined the BJP on 19 December 2020. The Indian Express
- Suvendu joined the Bharatiya Janata Party along with nine MLAs and one MP, who were previously members of TMC.
- Ahead of the 2021 West Bengal Legislative Assembly election, TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee challenged him to contest election against her from the Nandigram Assembly seat. Adhikari subsequently accepted the challenge and said that he would quit politics if he lost the election. The New Indian Express