|Profession||High Court Judge|
|Famous for||Being appointed as the acting chief justice of Himachal Pradesh w.e.f., 20 April 2023|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 177 cm
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Designation(s)||• Additional Judge of the Himachal Pradesh High Court (February 2014- November 2014)
• Judge of the Himachal Pradesh High Court (November 2014- April 2023)
• Acting Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court (April 2023- Present)
|Notable Judgement(s)||• A Suo Moto cognizance was carried out by Justice Tarlok after 24 students from an Engineering Institute in Hyderabad were washed away in the Beas River on 8 June 2014.
• In Mathu Ram vs M. C. Shimla case, Justice Chauhan passed the verdict that a time gap in the issuance of the policy on regularization which prescribed different cut-off dates cannot be a ground to deny the benefit of regularization on completion of service on a daily wage basis.
• In a judjement of a case, Justice Tarlok Singh ordered the Himachal Pradesh Police to list all the FIRs on its web portal. He also directed the police to work on online registration of an FIR.
• In one of his judgements, Justice Tarlok issued detailed guidelines to the Himachal Pradesh Government and also directed the Principal Secretary of Education to issue mandatory orders to the states educational institutes (government owned or private) to display detailed information on the notice board which were directed to be placed at the entrance of the campus and on their websites with respect to :Faculty and staff alongwith their qualifications and job experience (profile), details of infrastructure, affiliation alongwith certificates(s) of affiliation, details of internship and placement, fees with complete breakup and details, extracurricular activities with complete details, PTA with address and telephone numbers of its members, transport facilities with details, age of the institute and its achievements, if any, availability of scholarships with complete details, list of alumni(s) alongwith complete addresses and telephone numbers and the State was further directed to ensure that no private educational institution is allowed to charge fee towards building fund, infrastructure fund, development fund etc.
|Date of Birth||9 January 1964 (Thursady)|
|Age (as of 2023)||59 Years|
|Birthplace||Rohru, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh|
|Hometown||Rohru, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh|
|School||Bishop Cotton School, Shimla|
|College/University||• DAV College, Chandigarh
• Panjab University, Chandigarh
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Graduation with Honours from DAV College, Chandigarh
• A Degree in Law from Panjab University, Chandigarh
|Relationships & More|
Daughter(s)- Tarana Chauhan, Amanat Chauhan
|Salary (approx.)||As an Acting Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court, Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan receives a salary of Rs. 2,50,000 per month. He also get some additional allowances. Department of Justice|
• Bank Deposits: Rs. 7,48,946
• Shares, Debentures, Mutual Funds: Rs. 1,00,000
• Motor Vehicle: Alto Model 2005
• Half share in undivided land measuring 0-72-58 Hects, situated in Chak Khalai, village Pharog, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla
• One-fourth share in undivided land measuring 1-21-65 Hects, situated in Chak Khalai, village Pharog, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla
• One-fourth share in undivided land measuring 3-95-71 Hects, situated in Chak Dharal, village Dharal, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla
• One-fourth share in undivided land measuring 6-42-67 Hects, situated in Chak Pharog, village Pharog, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla
• One-fourth share in one undivided residential house, 4-grading and packing stores.
• One-fourth share in one undivided residential building.
• One-fourth share in undivided two and a half storeys plus attic residential flat at Shankli.
• One-fourth undivided share in a building at Sanjauli.
• Part-payment for a three-room set flat at Lawyers Colony, Pinjore, Haryana.
• Part payment for a plot area of 150 square yards at Pinjore, Haryana.
Note: The given estimates of movable and immovable assets are according to the year 2014. It excludes the assets owned by his wife and dependents (minor). Himachal Pradesh High Court
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tarlok Singh Chauhan
- Tarlok Singh Chauhan is an Indian puisne judge. He is serving at the High Court of Himachal Pradesh. He was appointed as the acting chief justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court by the central government of India on 18 April 2023; Tarlok assumed the office on 20 April 2023 after the retirement of the incumbent acting chief justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court Justice Sabina.
- He grew up in Rohru, Shimla.
- At Bishop Cotton School, Shimla, Justice Chauhan was the school captain.
- Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan enrolled at the Bar Council of Himachal Pradesh in 1989 and started practising law by joining the chamber of Lala Chhabil Dass.
- He has practised in all the branches of law.
- As a lawyer, he served as the standing counsel-cum-legal adviser to Himachal Pradesh State Civil Supplies Corporation. He has also served as standing counsel-cum-legal adviser to the HP State Electricity Board Ltd.
- He was associated with various Lok Adalats. He was also part of various Legal Aid Programmes.
- Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan was appointed as amicus-curiae by the Himachal Pradesh High Court in various crucial cases associated with the violation of environmental laws by hydel projects and ropeways, implementation of solid waste management projects, use of plastic and tobacco products besides a ban on them, and framing of the state’s road construction policy.
- On 23 February 2014, Justice Chauhan took oath as the additional judge of the Himachal Pradesh High Court.
- Three months later, he became the Chairperson of the Juvenile Justice Committee, High Court of Himachal Pradesh. During his term, he did stupendous work for the welfare of the Hospital For Mental Health and Rehab Shimla and the old age homes of Himachal Pradesh. He also worked extensively for the welfare and interest of the children of Bal/Balika Ashrams in Himachal Pradesh.
- On 30 November 2014, Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan was appointed as the permanent Judge of the Himachal Pradesh High Court.
- Justice Chauhan became a member of the Governing Council and Executive Council of the Himachal Pradesh National Law University, Shimla, on 12 November 2016.
- From 13 May 2019 to 17 May 2019. he participated in the International Learning Exchange Programme in Romania that was focused on the “reform of Care and Protection services for children. He was one of the three High Court judges of India to participate in the programme.
- Justice Chauhan has also participated in various national and international conferences and is the first judge of the Himachal Pradesh High Court to take part in any such international conferences organised abroad.
- Justice Tarlok took part in International Judicial Conference on the theme – “Judiciary and the Changing World” held at the Supreme Court of India, New Delhi, from 21 February 2020 to 23 February 2020.
- He also attended a two-day “National Annual Stakeholders Consultation on Child Protection” conference held at the Supreme Court of India, New Delhi.
- Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan served as the President of the H. P. Judicial Academy twice, firstly from 18 November 2018 to 15 March 2020 and then from 1 March 2021 to 5 April 2023.
- As the head of the Computer and e-Courts Committee of the High Court of Himachal Pradesh, he made several amendments and modernised the working structure of the court. Computerisation in the High Courts and Subordinate Courts made the working pattern in the courts more convenient. In addition to allowing the advocates to access information about their cases, computerisation also offered them several other services like applying online for a certified copy, paying court fees online, accessing cause list, e-file a case (ITR), and applying only for e-Gate Pass.
- He also developed several peripheries for the day-to-day functioning of the Himachal Pradesh High Court as well as Subordinate Courts.
- On 18 April 2023, the central government appointed Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan as the chief justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court. He took the oath of office after the retirement of the incumbent acting chief justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court Justice Sabina. The Ministry of Law & Justice issued a notification to this effect on its official website, which stated,
In exercise of the power conferred by Article 223 of the Constitution of India, the President is pleased to appoint, Shri Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan, senior-most puisne Judge of Himachal Pradesh High Court, to perform the duties of the office of the Chief Justice of that High Court with effect from 20.04.2023 consequent upon the retirement of Smt. Justice Sabina, Acting Chief Justice, Himachal Pradesh High Court.”