Some Lesser Known Facts About D Roopa IPS
- D Roopa hails from Devangere in Karnataka.
- After completing her Masters in Science, D Roopa started preparing for the Civil Services.
- In 2000, she cleared the UPSC Examination and secured 43rd rank.
- She was allotted the Indian Police Service (IPS) and underwent training at the National Police Academy in Hyderabad. She was ranked 5th in her batch and was allotted to the Karnataka Cadre.
- D Roopa is a sharp shooter and has won many awards in Shooting while undergoing training at the National Police Academy.
- On 26 January 2016, she was conferred with President’s Police Medal for Meritorious service.
- She is well versed with Classical Hindustani Music and is also a trained Bharatnatyam dancer.
- She had also arrested Uma Bharti (the then Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh) after the court order in a rioting case.
- During her tenure as DCP City Armed Reserve, D Roopa withdrew a number of vehicles (belonging to the Police Department), which were being used in the cavalcade of former Karnataka Chief Minister B. S. Yeddyurappa.
- In July 2017, being the Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Prisons, she blew the whistle on the VVIP treatment given to AIADMK general secretary Sasikala in Bengaluru prison.
- In her report, Ms. Roopa mentioned how Satyanarayana Rao, the Director General of Prisons (DGP) of Karnataka, was one of the officers on Sasikala’s payroll who helped her avail special treatment- like a separate kitchen. She also revealed how Sasikala allegedly paid Rs 2 crore to jail officials for a ‘comfortable stay.’
- On 17 July 2017, Karnataka State Government transferred her out of the Prisons Department to the post of DIG, Commissioner for Traffic and Road Safety, Bengaluru. The government issued notices to Ms. Roopa for violating the service rules and going public over allegations against other senior officials.
📢⚡TRENDING: URI is surging to become a Blockbuster, check the salary of Uri actors here⚡