|Real name/Full name
|Dr. Vijay Kishanlal Kedia
|Businessman and Investor
|Being the founder and CEO of Kedia Securities Pvt. Ltd.
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters- 177 cm
in meters- 1.77 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 10”
|Date of Birth
|4 November 1959 (Wednesday)
|Age (as of 2023)
|University of Calcutta
|• Bachelor of Commerce from University of Calcutta
• 2016: Doctorate Degree for Excellence in Management at Confederation of International Accreditation Commission (CIAC)
|Singing and Dancing
|Relationships & More
• Pratik Kedia
• Ankit Kedia
|Father- Kishnlal Kedia (stock broker)
Mother- Name Not Known
|Net Worth (approx.) (as of 2023)
|847.8 Crores Business Today
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vijay Kedia
- Vijay Kishanlal Kedia is an Indian businessman and stock market investor. Since he was 19, he has worked with the stock market. Kedia and his business, Kedia Securities Pvt. Ltd., possess the largest stake in a number of publicly traded companies in India. Kedia is known as one of the most successful stock investors in India.
- When Vijay Kedia was in Class 10 in 1978, his father passed away. He failed the Class 10 examination due to the grief of losing his father.
- Vijay Kedia started developing an interest in the stock market when he was 14 years old. At the age of nineteen, he began investing in the stock market.
- Later, his family arranged his marriage. Soon, they had a son. Reportedly, his financial situation was so bad that he didn’t even have Rs. 14 to buy milk for his son. He once had to sell his mother’s gold jewellery to cover his personal expenses. According to Vijay Kedia, once, he had to share a room with six people. His wife somehow gathered coins to purchase milk for their son. This event affected Kedia. Soon, he started his own tea business but had little luck. Then, in 1990, he decided to shift to Mumbai from Kolkata to try his luck.
- According to Kedia, 1992 was a lucky year for him. The stock market went through a bullish phase in the same year. Kedia took advantage of the chance to earn profits. He purchased Punjab tractors’ stock as the company’s share price was Rs. 35 at that time. Soon, he sold these shares at a 500 per cent premium and purchased the shares of ACC. The share price of ACC increased by 1,000 per cent, which allowed him to make a sizable profit.
- Soon after earning huge money, he purchased a home in Mumbai and called his family from Kolkata. However, a fall in the stock market let him lose everything in 2001.
- In his spare time, he enjoys travelling to faraway destinations.
- Vijay Kedia is often invited by many news channels as a stock market expert to provide in-depth information and experience with stock market analysis.
- Thereafter, the market experienced another bullish run in 2002–2003. Vijay Kedia continued to consolidate his assets and earnings. He discovered and invested in the stocks of three companies in 2004 and 2005 (Atul Auto, Aegis Logistics, and Cera Sanitaryware). The stock rates of these three companies increased by more than 100 times over the following 10 to 12 years. He successfully anticipated that India was on the rise of a structural bull run in early 2012. Later, he established Kedia Securities.
- Kedia was ranked 13 on Business World’s 2016 list of Successful Indian Investors.
- Vijay Kedia is a fitness enthusiast. He regularly does physical exercise and yoga to keep his mind and body fit. He often shares pictures of his yoga sessions on social media.
— Vijay Kedia (@VijayKedia1) June 21, 2023
- Vijay Kedia is a keynote speaker at many well-known business schools including IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Amritsar, IIM Bangalore, MDI Murshidabad, and London Business School.
- Apart from being a businessman, he also works as a career guide. He is a frequent motivational speaker at TEDx.
- In 2017, Vijay Kedia has been referred to as a “market master” by the Economic Times.
- An “Ask Vijay Kedia Microsite” was introduced by “MoneyLife Advisory” in 2017. Vijay Kedia’s portfolio equities increased by up to 170% in the same year.
- Vijay Kedia frequently shares inspirational quotes about the stock market on his Twitter handle to encourage his followers when they invest.
- On 4 June 2018, Vijay Kedia delivered a career speech at London Business School.
- Vijay Kedia received the Sarvottam Samman Award award from the governor of Maharashtra Bhagat Singh Koshyari at Raj Bhavan on 21 December 2020.
- In 2022, Vijay Kedia received the Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Award from the governor of Maharashtra.
- In 2023, Vijay Kedia was in the news for possessing a net worth of over 800 crores. Reportedly, he had to borrow 14 rupees to purchase milk for his infant once, but in 2023, he was the owner of over 800 crore rupees.
- The SMILE investing philosophy—which stands for Small in size, Medium in experience, Large in desire, and Extra-large in market potential—is one that Dr Vijay Kedia adheres to. He encourages and strongly supports this investment approach. He counsels his followers to keep going through difficult times and take significant risks. While change is crucial in the stock market, other factors like investments, expertise, courage, and patience, in his opinion, are just as important.
- Several renowned magazines and newspapers often feature his articles in their editions.
- Once, in a media conversation, he explained his investment strategy. Vijay Kedia said,
One should scout for companies which have good management… Find a very good management, a very honest management and see the product in which the management is going to grow, going to outperform its peers and the economy… invest in those companies for the next 10–15 years, and you cannot go wrong.”
- Apart from being a businessman, Vijay Kedia is also a singer. He often posts his music videos on his YouTube channel.