Dilip Chhabria Age, Wife, Children, Family, Biography & More
Age: 65 Years
Marital Status: Married
|Famous For||Being one of the most celebrated Indian car designers|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Hair Colour||Grey (Half bald)|
|Date of Birth||1954|
|Age (as of 2020)||66 Years|
|College/University||Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California, USA|
|Educational Qualifications||• Bachelor of Commerce Motoroids
• A degree in Transportation Design from Art Center College of Design Motoroids
|Controversies||• A politician and six-time MLA from Uttar Pradesh, Raghuraj Pratap Singh filed an FIR against Chhabria for not delivering a vehicle on order in 2016. According to Raghuraj Pratap Singh, he had given a contract of Rs. 1.24 crore to Dilip Chhabria’s DC Designs in December 2015 to modify an ISUZU 4500 WB van. Later, Mr. Chhabria refuted the allegations made by the politician and said that he had not even an idea who gave the order to modify the van. Mr. Chhabria said, "His statement about us not delivering the vehicle is baseless and false. We have worked with the who’s who of the world for the past 25 years. The vehicle has been lying ready for the past seven months. We have been writing to them to collect the vehicle, but they have not responded to that. The Economic Times
• On 28 December 2020, the Mumbai Crime Branch arrested Chhabria on the charges of cheating and forgery levelled against him. Later, while elaborating the fraudulent tactics used by Chhabria and his company, joint commissioner of police (crime) Milind Bharambe said that Chhabria's company, Dilip Chhabria Designs Pvt Ltd (DDCPL), used 90 DC Avanti vehicles to get multiple loans (averaging Rs. 42 lakhs against each vehicle) and to avail such loans from Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs), the company used to pose as customers for their own manufactured cars; moreover, the vehicles were registered with two or more RTO's of various states so that they could get more loans against the same vehicle. Chhabria and his company's fraudulent tactics came into the limelight when the Tamil Nadu police challaned a DC Avanti machine and during the investigation, the Tamil Nadu police found that the same machine and chassis number were registered with Haryana RTO as well. After the complaint filed by the owner of the Tamil Nadu-based person, the Mumbai Police arrested Dilip Chhabria in Mumbai. The Indian Express
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name Not Known|
|Children||Son- Bonito Chhabria
Daughter- Minica Chhabria
|Car Collection||• DC Avanti
• BMW X6 M
• Aston Martin Vanquish
• Audi R8 Spyder
• Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
• Mercedes Benz S-Class
• Porsche 911 Turbo S
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 800 crore (as in 2015) Outlook Business|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dilip Chhabria
- Dilip Chhabria is a world-renowned Indian car designer who is the founder of DC Designs. He is well-known for his collaborations with Bollywood superstars and the work he does for them. He is the designer of DC Avanti, India’s first sports car.
- Dilip Chhabria was born in Mumbai, and his father was an affluent businessman who had a business of electronic manufacturing.
- Till his graduation in commerce, Dilip Chhabria used to draw cars all over his house and behind his notebooks. According to Chhabria, he was inspired to pursue car designing after he saw an advertisement in a magazine about a designing school in California.
- Later, Dilip Chhabria applied for Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California where he completed a course in Transportation Design. After graduating from Art Center College of Design, he joined General Motors; however, he wanted to start car designing independently, and he decided to move back to India to start work in Marol, Mumbai.
- After his return to India, he worked in a small space in his father’s factory and with the help of three workers, he manufactured his first product, which was a ring-shaped horn for Premier Padmini cars. The product was a hit in the aftermarket and sold for Rs. 40 per piece whereas it only cost Rs. 8 in manufacturing.
- His first project was in 1992 when he decided to show his skills to the world by modifying his own Gypsy, and it was a success. With this success, he signed a deal with Mahindra where he used to work on their Armada cars and a concept was made by him that led to the development of Scorpio.
- According to him, Mahindra Thar is the most customizable LMV that is available in the Indian market and one of the toughest projects that he ever came across was Porsche 911. Just like his car designs are unique in automobile sector, the names of his children also carry the feature of Mr. Chhabria’s creative approach as he named his children as Bonito Chhabria (son), and Minica Chhabria (daughter).
- Dilip Chhabria founded the brand, DC Designs that is known across the world for its exclusive designs, and some of his cars have featured in several Bollywood movies, like Tarzan: The Wonder Car (2004), Dilwale (2015).
- His biggest break came when Aston Martin asked him to design their show car, Aston Martin Vantage. In 2003, he designed the James Bond Aston Martin DB-8, and since then, his designs have been appreciated on a global scale.
- Dilip Chhabria has also designed luxury vehicles for several Bollywood stars, like the vanity vans of Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan for almost Rs. 3.5 crores each. Recently, Hrithik Roshan also got the DC customization touch on his Mercedes-Benz V-Class van.
- Dilip Chhabria launched an in-house designed and manufactured car, DC Avanti in 2015, which is considered the first Indian sports car. The car is powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged petrol engine producing 250 horsepowers coupled with a 6-speed manual transmission. A limited-edition model was also launched which made 310 horsepower.
- Apart from car designing, Dilip Chhabria is also fond of painting and sculpting, and his artwork can be seen across his showrooms in Delhi, Mumbai, and Pune.
|↑4||The Economic Times|
|↑5||The Indian Express|