Hometown: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Wife: Ankita Singhvi
Age: 61 Years
|Full Name||Abhishek Manu Singhvi|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 8”
|Hair Colour||Grey (semi-bald)|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||• National Spokesperson for Indian National Congress (INC) (2001 onwards)
• In April 2006, he was elected to Rajya Sabha
• Member of Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, and Law and Justice (August 2006- May 2009, August 2009- July 2011)
• Member of Joint Committee on Offices and to examine the constitutional and legal position relating to Office of Profit (August 2006- August 2007)
• Member of Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Urban Development (August 2006- August 2007)
• Member of Committee of Privileges (September 2006- September 2010)
• Member of Consultative Committee for the Ministry of External Affairs (July 2010 onwards)
• Chairman of Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice member, General Purposes Committee (July 2011 onwards)
• Spokesman for Indian National Congress (July 2012 onwards)
|Date of Birth||24 February 1959 (Tuesday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||61 Years|
|Birthplace||Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India|
|School||St. Columba's School, Delhi|
|College/University||• St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi
• Trinity College, University of Cambridge
• Harvard University
|Educational Qualification(s)||• B.A. (Hons.) from St. Stephen's College, Delhi University
• M.A. and Ph.D. from Trinity College, Cambridge where his topic for the doctoral dissertation was Emergency Powers.
• PIL from Harvard University
|Controversies||• In 2012, a CD containing a recording that allegedly featured Abhishek Singhvi with a woman in a compromising position went viral. When asked about the matter, Singhvi denied the allegations saying that the CD was doctored by someone. Following the incident, he also resigned from his position as head of the parliamentary standing committee for law and justice. NDTV
• In 2014, the Income Tax Settlement Commission charged Singhvi Rs. 57 crores fine as he failed to present documents to support his claim of expenditure for the operations of the office. Singhvi claimed that he had spent Rs. 5 crores to purchase laptops and he claimed Rs. 1.5 crores as depreciation benefit. The tax department did some calculations by putting the average price and Rs. 40,000 per laptop and this meant that Singhvi purchased 1250 laptops. The tax department imposed a fine of Rs. 57 crores on Abhishek Singhvi as he failed to submit the documents supporting his claims. The Times of India
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||8 December 1982|
|Wife||Anita Singhvi (Ghazal and Sufi singer)
• Avishkar Singhvi
• Anubhav Singhvi
|Parents||Father- Laxmi Mall Singhvi (served as the High Commissioner for India in the U.K.)
Mother- Kamla Singhvi
|Car Collection||• Toyota Fortuner
• Hyundai Creta
• Toyota Camry
• Maruti Ciaz
• Range Rover
• Audi A8
|Assets/Properties (as in 2014) My Neta||Moveable Assets
• Bank Deposits: Rs. 2.98 crores
• Bonds, Debentures, and Shares: Rs. 387 crores
• LIC or other insurances: Rs. 1 crore
• Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1.37 crores
• Jewellery: Rs. 30 crores
• Agricultural Land in Mumbai: Rs. 4 crores
• Non-Agricultural Land in Noida & Jodhpur: Rs. 7.15 crores
• Residential Buildings in New Delhi & London: Rs. 73 crores
|Net Worth (approx.) My Neta||Rs. 650 crores (as in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Abhishek Singhvi
- Abhishek Manu Singhvi is a renowned Indian senior advocate and politician of the country. He is associated with the Indian National Congress (INC), and he is a member of the Parliament of India where he represents West Bengal in Rajya Sabha.
- Abhishek Singhvi is a senior advocate in the Supreme Court of India and over the years, he has handled several cases in the court. In August 2020, he made it in the news when he decided to represent the Maharashtra Government in the court in the Sushant Singh Rajput death case.
On the last date, sr counsel R Basant had led the fight for the state against #Bihar Govt & Sushant's father, who have Mukul Rohatgi & Vikas Singh as lawyers.
— Utkarsh Anand (@utkarsh_aanand) August 9, 2020
- He spent his childhood in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. His father, Dr. Laxmi Mall Singhvi was a scholar of Jaina History and Culture, and he was one of the top lawyers of the country. His father was the second-longest-serving High Commissioner of India (1991-1997) to the United Kingdom.
- Abhishek pursued B.A. (Hons.) from St. Stephen’s College in Delhi University. After completion of the degree, he went abroad where he pursued M.A. and Ph.D. at Trinity College, Cambridge. He completed his Ph.D. under the guidance of a constitutional lawyer Sir William Wade and the topic for his doctoral dissertation was Emergency Powers.
- After his Ph.D., Singhvi did Public Interest Law (PIL) from Harvard University, and that’s how his journey in the field of law began. At the age of 37, he became the youngest Additional Solicitor General of India. In 2001, Singhvi was appointed as the spokesperson for the Indian National Congress, and in the year 2006, he was elected to Rajya Sabha.
- In 1982, he got married to Anita Singhvi, a ghazal and Sufi singer, and the couple was blessed with two sons, Avishkar Singhvi and Anubhav Singhvi.
- In 2020, in a webinar organized by advocate J Ravindran, Singhvi discussed the current conditions of the working of the parliament and the way meetings take place. He believes that while the parliament is for fair and open discussion, the reality is something else. He even shared his wish list of reforms saying that he would prefer that even MPs should have the power to initiate legislation. Currently, the MPs can only give the proposal but the final decision is made by the government in power. One India
- Abhishek Singhvi was unsure of the professional line he wanted to work but his father played a huge role in his career choice. His father’s doctorate degree in law was the push that he needed to pursue a career in this department.