Age: 52 Years
Hometown: Narwana, Haryana
|Full Name||Randeep Singh Surjewala|
|Famous For||Being the spokesperson of the Indian National Congress (INC)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 178 cm
in meters- 1.78 m
in feet inches- 5’ 10”
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)
|Political Journey||• Randeep joined the Congress Party when he was a teenager and he used to work with his father to rebuild the Congress in Haryana.
• In April 1986, Randeep was appointed as the Joint Secretary of the Haryana Youth Congress and eventually as the General Secretary of the Haryana Youth Congress.
• In 1993, he contested his first election in the by-elections of the Haryana Assembly from the Narwana Assembly Constituency, but he lost.
• In 1996, he contested the Haryana Assembly Elections against the then Chief Minister of Haryana, Om Prakash Chautala and won.
• In 2000, he contested the Assembly Elections from Narwana and won.
• In March 2000, he was appointed as the National President of the Indian Youth Congress.
• In August 2004, he was appointed as the Secretary of the All India Congress Committee (AICC).
• In December 2004, a couple of months before the Haryana Assembly elections, he was appointed as the working president of the Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC).
• In 2005, he was elected as an MLA from the Narwana Assembly Elections of Haryana against the sitting Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala.
• In March 2005, Surjewala became the youngest cabinet minister in the Haryana Government headed by Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
• In September 2007, he was appointed as the Minister of Power, PWD, and Parliamentary Affairs in Haryana.
• In 2009, he was elected as an MLA from the newly formed Kaithal Assembly Constituency; following delimitation.
• In November 2009, he was made the Cabinet Minister in the Haryana Government for Water Supply & Sanitation, Parliamentary Affairs, Electronics & Information, Science & Technology, and Public Works Department.
• In 2014, he was re-elected as an MLA from Kaithal, Haryana.
• In January 2019, Surjewala contested the Haryana Assembly by-election from the Jind Assembly Constituency, but he lost to BJP's Krishan Lal Middha.
• He contested the 2019 Haryana Assembly Elections from the Kaithal Assembly seat, but he lost to BJP's Leela Ram.
|Date of Birth||3 June 1967 (Saturday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||52 Years|
|School||• Adarsh Baal Mandir High School, Narwana, Haryana
• Arya Senior Secondary School, Narwana, Haryana
|College/University||• DAV College, Chandigarh
• Panjab University, Chandigarh
|Educational Qualification||• Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) from DAV College, Chandigarh in 1981
• Bachelor of Laws from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 1985
• Post Graduation in Political Science from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 1995
|Food Habit||Vegetarian HaryanaAssembly.gov|
|Address||Kothi No. 48, Sector 2, Chandigarh|
|Hobbies||Listening to Ghazals and Poetry, Trekking, and Camping|
|Controversies||• In October 2012, when a Dalit girl from Hisar got raped, her father committed suicide after a video of her getting raped was circulated on social media. The girl stated that her father worked at Randeep Surjewala's house as a gardener, but neither Surjewala talked to the family nor he visited them. She told the media that had Surjewala took cognizance of the incident, the police would have worked more efficiently. However, Surjewala did not take any action.
• In February 2016, during a press conference, Randeep addressed the 2001 Parliament Attack convict "Afzal Guru" as "Afzal Guru Ji". The clip of Surjewala addressing him as "Afzal Guru Ji" went viral and he had to issue an apology after he was questioned as to why he was addressing a terrorist with so much respect.
• In February 2019, after the terror attack in Pulwama, Surjewala tweeted that "Pakistan had committed more than 5000 ceasefire violations, where is Narendra Modi's 56-inch chest now?" He faced a lot of backlash at his tweet, people from all factions of the society stated that instead of mourning the CRPF soldiers, Congress is politicising the terror attack.
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||26 December 1991|
• Arjun (Elder)
|Parents||Father- Chaudhary Shamsher Singh Surjewala (Politician)
Mother- Vidya Surjewala (Homemaker)
• Madhu Dalal (Elder)
• Poonam Chaudhary (Elder)
• Neeru (Elder; Deceased)
|Assets/Properties (as in 2019)||• Cash: 76,000 INR
• Bank Deposits: 66.95 lacs INR
• Agricultural Land: worth 17.50 lacs INR in Narwana, Haryana
• Commercial Buildings: worth 1.63 crores INR
• Residential Building: worth 18 lacs INR in Chandigarh
|Salary (approx.)||1 lac INR + other allowances (as a Haryana MLA)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||4.39 crores INR (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Randeep Surjewala
- Randeep Surjewala is a prominent Indian politician. He belongs to the Indian National Congress (INC) and is the chief spokesperson for the party.
- His father is a former politician who was elected to the Haryana Legislative Assembly for 5 times, and to the Lok Sabha in 1993. His father had also been the President of the Youth Congress before India’s independence.
- In 1988, Randeep started his law practice at the age of 21. He started his practice with the law firm “Shroff & Company” in New Delhi.
- In 1991, he started his practice in the High Court of Punjab & Haryana.
- In 1992, he was appointed as the youngest senator of the Panjab University. He has also been a Member of the Faculty Consultative Committee in the Law Faculty.
- In 1996, he contested and won the Assembly Elections against the then Chief Minister of Haryana Om Prakash Chautala. It was a big victory for him as he had won against a sitting Chief Minister.
- In March 2000, Surjewala became the first Haryanvi to be appointed as the National President of the Indian Youth Congress. On February 2005, he became the longest-serving National President of the Indian Youth Congress.
- In August 2004, Rahul Gandhi appointed Surjewala as the Secretary of the All India Congress Committee (AICC). It made him the youngest office-bearer of the AICC.
- In 2005, the Congress fielded Surjewala against the sitting Haryana CM, Om Prakash Chautala. Surjewala won against Chautala for the second time in 2005.
- In 2015, Rahul Gandhi appointed him as the head of the AICC Communications Department.
- Surjewala is considered to be one of Rahul Gandhi‘s most trusted aide and personal advisor.
- In January 2019, Rahul Gandhi encouraged Randeep to contest the Haryana Assembly by-elections from the Jind Assembly seat. Rahul wanted a stalwart to contest and win the Jind Assembly seat.
- In January 2019, he faced a humiliating defeat in the Jind Assembly Constituency of Haryana. He came in the third position and did not get even 20,000 votes.
- In October 2019, he contested the Harayana Assembly Elections from the Kaithal Assembly seat, but he lost to BJP’s Leela Ram by a margin of 530 votes.
References/Sources: [ + ]