Age: 74 Years
Wife: Dr. Renu Jogi
|Full Name||Ajit Pramod Kumar Jogi|
|Profession||Politician and Civil Servant (Retd.)|
|Famous For||Being the first Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Service||• Indian Police Service (IPS)
• Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
|Batch||• 1968 (IPS)
• 1970 (IAS)
|Political Party||• Chhattisgarh Janata Congress (2016-till his death in 2020)
• Indian National Congress (1986-2016)
|Political Journey||• In 1986, Jogi was asked by then Prime Minister of India, Mr. Rajiv Gandhi, to join Politics. At that time Jogi was a district collector of Indore District. Within two and half hours, he resigned the office of collector and joined the Indian National Congress.
• In 1986, he became the member of Rajya Sabha for the first time and held the position until 1998.
• From 1987 to 1989, he was the General Secretary of Pradesh Congress Committee, Madhya Pradesh and also a member of committees on Public Undertakings, Industries, and Railways.
• In 1998, he was elected as a Member of Parliament (MP) to the 12th Lok Sabha for the Raigarh constituency but lost the Lok Sabha election in 1999 from Shahdol, Madhya Pradesh.
• When Chhattisgarh came into existence in 2000, Jogi became the first CM of Chhattisgarh and remained until 2003.
• From 2004 to 2008, he was the MP in the 14th Lok Sabha for Mahasamund, Chhattisgarh.
• In 2008, he became the Member of the Legislative Assembly of Chhattisgarh, representing the Marwahi constituency.
• In 2016, due to the anti-party activities, he, along with his son, was expelled from the Indian National Congress.
• In June 2016, Jogi founded a new party named 'Chhattisgarh Janata Congress.'
|Biggest Rival||Chandu Lal Sahu (BJP)
|Date of Birth||29 April 1946 (Monday)|
|Birthplace||Jogisar, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh, India|
|Date of Death||29 May 2020 (Friday)|
|Place of Death||He died at a private hospital in Raipur, Chhattisgarh.|
|Age (at the time of death)||74 Years|
|Death Cause||Cardiac Arrest India Today
Note: He had been undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
|Hometown||Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh, India|
|School||• Mishan Shala, Jyotipur, Pendra Road, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh
• Higher Secondary School, Pendra, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh
|College/University||• Maulana Azad College of Technology, Bhopal
• Delhi University, Delhi
|Educational Qualification||Degree in Engineering and Law|
|Address||Resident of Anugrah, Sagon Banglow, Civil Line, Raipur, Chhattisgarh|
|Hobbies||Horse Riding, Reading, Writing, Swimming, Gliding, Trekking, Yoga|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||"Most Outstanding Man" of the State Award (1984)|
|Controversies||• In December 2003, when INC got defeat in Chhattisgarh assembly elections, a sting operation alleged that Jogi tried to bribe some of the BJP MLAs to form a breakaway faction promising them Congress' support. Subsequently, he was suspended from the party.
• In June 2007, Jogi and his son were arrested due to their connection with the murder of NCP treasurer Ram Avtar Jaggi who was shot dead in June 2003.
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married|
|Marriage Date||8 October 1975 (Wednesday)|
|Wife/Spouse||Dr. Renu Jogi (Eye Specialist)
|Children||Son- Amit Jogi (Politician)
Daughter- Late Anusha Jogi
|Parents||Father- Shri Kashi Prasad Jogi
Mother- Kanti Mani
|Assets/Properties||Gold Jewelry worth Rs. 18,65,000|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 6 Crore (As in 2014)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ajit Jogi
- Ajit Jogi was born in an aboriginal family in the Central Provinces and Berar (Now, Chhattisgarh), British India.
- He was a brilliant student and received a gold medal while studying Mechanical Engineering in Bhopal. He was the schoolmate of would-be cricketer Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi.
- In 1967, he was the President of the Students’ Union of Maulana Azad College of Technology, Bhopal.
- Having completed his graduation, Jogi started teaching at Raipur Engineering College (Now NIT).
- In 1968, he became an IPS officer and in 1970, he got selected to IAS. His mother inspired him to join IAS.
- He served as a District Collector for 12 years before getting into politics; holding all India record of the longest-serving Collector/District Magistrate at the districts of Shahdol, Sidhi, Indore, and Raipur of Madhya Pradesh from 1974 to 1986.
- In 1989, he started Padyatra covering 1,500 km in the eastern tribal belt of Madhya Pradesh to spread general awareness and mobilize support for the Congress Party.
- His wife, Dr. Renu Jogi is an Eye Specialist. She met Jogi when she came to India after completing her study in America.
- In 1996, Jogi was a member of the Indian Delegation to the United Nations for its 50th Anniversary Celebrations in New York.
- He was also a member of the Indian Delegation to 98th I.P.U. Conference, Cairo, in 1997.
- In 2000, when Chhattisgarh was formed, he became the first CM of the State.
- On 12 May 2000, his daughter, Anusha Jogi committed suicide when she was forbidden to marry her lover.
- In 2004, he lost both his legs in a car accident.
- Ajit Jogi’s son Amit Jogi is also a politician and an MLA from Marwahi Vidhan Sabha Constituency, Chhattisgarh.
- Ajit Jogi had published books – “The role of District Collector” and “Administration of Peripheral Areas”.
- In 2016, Jogi, along with his son, left the Indian National Congress and founded a new party “Chhattisgarh Janata Congress.”
References/Sources: [ + ]