Death Cause: Prolonged Illness
Age: 82 Years
Death Date: 10/10/2022
|Political Journey||• In 1967, he was elected Member of Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh.
• In 1977, he became a State Minister for the 1st time.
• He became President of Lok Dal in 1980.
• He held the post of Leader of Opposition in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council from 1982 to 1985.
• In 1989, he became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the 1st time.
• In 1990, he joined Chandra Shekhar's party Janata Dal (Socialist).
• In 1992, he founded Samajwadi Party (Socialist).
• In 1993, he became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the 2nd time.
• In 1996, he was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from Mainpuri.
• In 1999, he became India's Defence Minister in the United Front Coalition Government.
• In 1998, he was elected again to the Lok Sabha.
• He contested from two seats- Sambhal & Kannauj in the 1999 Lok Sabha Elections and won both the seats.
• In September 2003, he became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the 3rd time.
• In 2004, he won Gunnaur assembly seat in a by-election with a victory margin of 183,899, which is a record so far.
• In 2004, he won Lok Sabha election from Mainpuri.
• In 2014, he contested 16th Lok Sabha from 2 seats- Azamgarh & Mainpuri and won both the seats.
• In the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections, he defeated BJP's Prem Singh Shakya by a margin of over 94,000 votes from Mainpuri.
|Awards||2023: Padma Vibhushan (posthumously)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 161 cm
in meters- 1.61 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 3”
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 75 kg
in Pounds- 165 lbs
|Date of Birth||22 November 1939|
|Age (at the time of death)||82 Years|
|Birthplace||Saifai, Etawah district, Uttar Pradesh|
|Date of Death||10 October 2022|
|Place of Death||Medanta Hospital, Gurugram|
|Death Cause||Prolonged Illness India TV|
|Hometown||Etawah, Uttar Pradesh|
|College/University||• K.K. College, Etawah, Uttar Pradesh
• A.K. College, Shikohabad, Uttar Pradesh
• B.R. College, Agra University, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
|Educational Qualification(s)||• A Bachelors degree from Agra University in 1964
• M.A. (Political Science) from Agra University in 1968
|Debut||In 1967, when he was elected Member of Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh.|
|Family||Father- Late Sughar Singh
Mother- Murti Devi
Brother- Shiv Pal Singh Yadav
Ram Gopal Yadav
Abhay Ram Singh Yadav, Rajpal Singh Yadav, Ratan Singh Yadav
Sister- Kamla Devi Yadav
|Caste||Other Backward Class (OBC)|
26001, Uttar Pradesh
|Hobbies||Wrestling, Reading, Listening to Music, Watching Folk-Dances|
|Blood Group||B-positive India Today|
|Controversies||• Following the 2012 Delhi Gang Rape incident, he delivered a controversial statement in which he said- "Boys will be boys. Boys commit mistakes".
• In another rape case, he again delivered a controversial statement to which UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon responded- "We say no to the dismissive, destructive attitude of, 'Boys will be boys."
• In 2014, he was criticized for organizing a festive program following riots in Muzaffarnagar district of Uttar Pradesh.
• In 2015, Judicial Magistrate of Kulpahar court in Uttar Pradesh summonsed him for his remark in which he said that gang-rapes are impractical.
|Leader||Ram Manohar Lohia|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Wife||First Wife- Malti Devi (died on 27 May 2003 after a prolonged illness)
Second Wife Sadhana Gupta (died on 9 July 2022 at a private hospital in Haryana’s Gurugram after a prolonged illness) Hindustan Times
|Children||Sons- Akhilesh Yadav (Politician)
Prateek Yadav (Businessman)
|Car||• Bank Deposits: Rs. 40.13 Lakh
• Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 7.89 Crore
• Non-Agricultural Land: Worth Rs. 1.44 Crore
• Residential Buildings: Worth Rs. 6.83 Crore
|Salary (as a Lok Sabha Member)||Rs. 1 Lakh + Other Allowances|
|Assets/Properties||Nil (as per his affidavit submitted during the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections)|
|Net Worth (approx.)||Rs. 20.56 Crore (as in 2019)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Did Mulayam Singh Yadav smoke?: Not Known
- Did Mulayam Singh Yadav drink alcohol?: Not Known
- He was born in Saifai Village of Etawah district in Uttar Pradesh.
- Before coming into politics, he worked as a teacher.
- Mulayam Singh was a trained wrestler.
- He had several degrees- a B.A. Degree, B.T. and M.A. Degree in Political Science.
- He was influenced and inspired by the socialist ideology and thoughts of Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia.
- He joined politics after coming into close contact with Karpoori Thakur, Sarvashri Madhu Limaye, Raj Narayan, Ram Sewak Yadav, and Janeshwar Mishra.
- He was jailed 9 times.
- He was the Student Union Leader at the K.K. College, Etawah.
- At a very early age, he rose to high political ranks.
- He founded Samajwadi Party on 4 October 1992.
- He had close relations with some of the famous Bollywood personalities including Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt, Jaya Prada, etc. He also made Amitabh Bachchan the Brand Ambassador of Uttar Pradesh during his regime.
- He served as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh 3 times- (1989-1991, 1993-1995 and 2003-2007).
- Mulayam Singh Yadav had the record of winning almost all the elections he has contested so-far.
- In 2012, his biography- The Socialist: The Definitive Biography of Mulayam Sing Yadav by Frank Huzur was published.