Husband: Pravin Dongre
Age: 56 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anita Dongre
- Anita Dongre was born into a traditional Hindu family in Mumbai.
- Her family was based in Jaipur from where her father shifted to Mumbai just a few months before her birth.
- She was inclined towards fashion from a very young age.
- In childhood, she saw her mother and other women stitching beautiful clothes from raw fabrics and got inspired by them.
- After getting a degree in fashuion, Dongre did an internship with the erstwhile royal family of Dhrangadhra, Gujarat.
- She started her career by designing clothes for local boutiques.
- She did that work for around 12 years.
- Once, she experimented with the western wear and created a unique collection for young women. However, none of the boutiques agreed to accept the clothes; as they thought that they were useless.
- Anita got so angry by that incident and decided to sell the clothes herself.
- In 1995, she established her fashion house “House of Anita Dongre.”
- Initially, she started her business from a small 300 square foot area. Her sister, Meena Sehra, also accompanied her in business.
- Dongre’s fashion Label shelters four clothing brands and one jewellery brand named AND (western wear), Global Desi (ethnic wear), Anita Dongre (bridal, couture prêt, menswear), Anita Dongre Grassroot (organic clothes) and Pink City (Fashion Jewellery).
- Anita loves dogs and has 5 pet dogs.
- She has featured on the cover of the Harper Bazaar Magazine.
- She hails from a family where women were expected to do only household chores. None of the females from her family were allowed to work.
- Anita is the first female entrepreneur from her family.
- Interestingly, Anita started her business by borrowing funds from her father and just like any other businessman, her father charged her an interest on the capital.
- Anita focuses on the designs of her brands and her siblings handle the operational part of the business.
- She shares a great bond with her mother-in-law, Shalini Dongre (Former Teacher).
- Anita has designed beautiful dresses for Bollywoo celebrities like Alia Bhatt, Kriti Sanon, Aditi Rao Hydari, Madhuri Dixit, Shilpa Shetty, and Anushka Sharma.
- She has also designed clothes for international faces like Hillary Clinton and Kim Kardashian.