Net Worth: $4.8 Billion
Age: 48 Years
Marital Status: Unmarried
|Full Name||Balkrishna Suvedi|
|Profession||Businessman; Managing Director & Primary stakeholder of Patanjali Ayurved|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Date of Birth||4 August 1972 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||48 Years|
|Birthplace||Syangja, Gandaki Pradesh, Nepal|
|School||He studied in a Gurukul at Kalwa (near Jind, Haryana)|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Political Inclination||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)|
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing, Travelling|
|Controversies||• His academic qualifications and Indian citizenship have been under doubt for a very long time.
• In 2011, the CBI registered a case against Balkrishna and arrested him on the charges of forgery and cheating. The agency claimed that his passport was issued on forged high school and graduation certificates. CBI also iterated that he owned a pistol without a legal permit.
• A case was filed against Balkrishna by the Enforcement Directorate on charges of money laundering. However, he was later given a clean chit because the ED could not find any evidence of wrongdoing.
• In June 2020, Balkrishna, along with Ramdev, launched an Ayurvedic medicine "Coronil" and claimed that it would cure the patients infected with the COVID-19. Following the launch of the medicine, he received heavy criticism for making fake claims without performing a legitimate clinical trial before the launch of the medicine. The Union government, Uttarakhand government, and the AYUSH Ministry distanced themselves from Baba's claim and put a blanket ban on medicine's advertisements. Later, an FIR against Balkrishna, Ramdev, and three others was lodged in Jaipur for allegedly conspiring to sell a fake Ayurveda medicine. The Hindu
|Relationships & More|
|Parents||Father- Jay Vallabh Subedi (A security guard in an Ashram in Uttarakhand)
Mother- Sumitra Devi
|Car Collection||Range Rover
|Net Worth (approx.)||$4.8 billion Forbes|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Balkrishna
- His father, Jay Vallabh Subedi was a security officer in an ‘Ashram’ (Hermitage) in Uttarakhand.
- Balkrishna joined Kalwa Gurukul in Haryana. After receiving his primary and secondary education, he travelled across India to study plants and their medicinal values.
- In the early 1990s, Balkrishna met Baba Ramdev for the first time at Tripura Yoga Ashram, Kankhal, Haridwar. Gradually, they became fast friends.
- In 1993, Balkrishna along with Baba Ramdev went to the Himalayas near Gangotri, Uttarakhand.
- In the 1990s, he along with Baba Ramdev used to sell ‘Chyawanprash’ in Haridwar. He could easily be seen in the streets of Haridwar in those days.
- Because of having lots of knowledge of herbs and Ayurveda, many people requested him to sell medicines for common problems. Slowly and steadily, he established an organisation of ayurvedic medicines and treatment.
- In 1995, they (he and Baba Ramdev) established a trust, “Patanjali Divya Yoga Mandir” in Haridwar. They also founded the “Divya Pharmacy,” a unit to manufacture ayurvedic medicines.
- On 23 October 2004, he was honoured by the former Indian President, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
with certificates, appreciation letters during a Yoga Camp in the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- In 2006, he and Baba Ramdev founded a consumer goods company, Patanjali Ayurved Limited. Later, the company went on to become the fastest-growing FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) company in the 2010s.
- In 2007, Balkrishna was honoured by the Government of Nepal for his research in Ayurveda and Culture.
- In 2012, Balkrishna was bestowed with the Sujana Shri award by Veeranjaneya Foundation for his marvellous contribution to yoga and herbal plants.
- On 23 February 2014, he was honoured by the then Cheif Minister of Gujarat (Later, Prime Minister of India), Narendra Modi at an Ayurveda Summit held in Gujarat.
- Till 2016, he was awarded 13 awards/titles. Some of them are-Bloomberg Special Recognition Award, Felicitation by Canada India Network Society, Felicitation in Nepal’s Cabinet, Bharat Gaurav Award, and many others.
- Balkrishna owns 98% stakes in Patanjali Ayurved. The company entered the Hurun India Rich List 2017 with a notable amount of Rs. 25,600 crore. Business Today
- His supporters celebrate his birthday as “Jadi Booti Diwas” (Herbs Day).
- Despite being the CEO and MD of Patanjali Ayurveda, he does not take any salary.
- Balkrishna serves as the Chief Editor of a magazine “Yog Sandesh,” which promotes Yoga and Ayurveda. Along with his co-authors, he has written 41 research papers. All of them are related to Ayurveda and Yoga.
- In 2018, his company opened a subsidiary named “Patanjali Food and Herbal Park in Uttarakhand.
- On 25 May 2019, the United Nations Sustainable Development Group (UNSDG) named him among the world’s 10 influential people. He was also conferred with the UNSDG Healthcare Award in Geneva, Switzerland.
- In August 2019, he complained of giddiness and chest pain after which he was admitted to AIIMS in Rishikesh. Soon after, he was discharged and recovered completely.
References/Sources: [ + ]