|Nickname(s)||Dr Muffi Facebook|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 175 cm
in meters- 1.75 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 9”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Major Designations||• Chairman, Position Statement Committee, International Federation of the Society of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO)
• Board Member, AETF - Asia Endosurgery Task Force (AETF)
• Member, Asia Pacific Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Society (APMBSS)
• Director, Asian Consensus Meeting on Metabolic Surgery (ACMOMS)
• Head, Dept. of Minimal Access and Bariatric Surgery, Saifee Hospital, Mumbai
• Head, Expert Advisory Board for the Men’s Health Magazine
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Silver Medal at Shirin Mehtaji Oration for ‘Obstructive Jaundice’ in 1996
• 'Humanitarian of the year' by the All India Human Rights Association in 2007
|Date of Birth||22 November 1968 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||51 Years|
|School||Christ Church School, Byculla, Mumbai|
|College/University||• Grant Medical College, Mumbai
• St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
• Topiwala National Medical College
• Sir Jamshedjee Jeejeebhoy Group of Hospitals in Mumbai
• B.Y.L. Nair Charitable Hospital, Mumbai
|Educational Qualification(s)||• MBBS
• Masters in Surgery Facebook
|Caste||Dawoodi Bohra Wikipedia|
|Hospital Address||C/o Digestive Health Institute, L301, 3rd Floor, Trade View, Oasis City, Gate No 4, Pandurang Budhkar Marg, Worli, Mumbai – 400018, Near Starbucks Kamla Mills|
|Hobbies||Playing Cricket and Doing Photography|
|Controversy||In 2017, the case of the world’s heaviest Egyptian women, Emam Ahmed (500Kg), was given to Dr Muffazal at Saifee Hospital in Mumbai for bariatric surgery. Later, Emam's sister and mother said that Dr Muffazal Lakdawala did not treated Emam properly. Emam’s sister, Saimma said in an interview,
Emam has not recovered one bit. She is in critical condition since the past one-and-a-half month and is on massive medications to stop brain activity.”
Dr Muffazal's reply on the whole matter was,
Eman is fine and is doing good. She has recovered well and only a CT scan is to be done to ascertain her neurological condition Actually, Everything was right with Saimma for initial 15 days after Eman’s treatment started but when she recovered and we suggested that she can be taken back to Egypt, Saimma started to create all this drama as she doesn’t want to take her sister back to Egypt due to financial reasons, More than a challenge, we took it as a humanitarian cause. We just couldn’t see her lying like that, so helpless, simply waiting for death to come. The risks of this case were 99%. I think now, we have given her a chance to live. If she gets physiotherapy done properly and wants to be able to walk, Eman will have to put in the efforts.”
|Relationships & More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||• Aditi Gowitrikar
• Priyanka Kaul
|Marriage Date||First Marriage: Year 1998 (Divorced in 2009)
Second Marriage: Year 2011
|Wife/Spouse||First Wife: Aditi Gowitrikar (Actor)
Second Wife: Priyanka Kaul Lakdawala (Works at Digestive Health Institute, Mumbai)
• Zhiaan (Born in 2007; from Aditi Gowitrikar)
• Kiaan (From Priyanka Kaul Lakdawala)
• Aari Muffazal (Born in 2020 and is one of the twins; from Priyanka Kaul Lakdawala)
• Kiara (Born in 2007; from Aditi Gowitrikar)
• Miaa Muffazal (Born in 2020 and is one of the twins; from Priyanka Kaul Lakdawala)
|Parents||Name Not Known
|Attire||Blazer, Blue Jeans, White T-shirt or Shirt and Brown Shoes|
|Fashion Icons||Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, and Sachin Tendulkar|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Dr Muffazal Lakdawala
- Dr Muffazal Lakdawala is an Indian surgeon and founder of “Digestive Health Institute” in Mumbai.
- He was born and brought up in a middle-class family in Mumbai. In an interview, he talked about his old days, he said,
The journey of a young middle-class Muslim boy from Bhendi Bazaar to being the surgeon of the Vice-President of India has been exciting to say the least. No member of my family was a doctor to lead the way. It has been a journey of personal ups and downs that did not deter me from my goal of making a mark in the surgical world. There was a lot of hard work and sleepless nights, with only one aim: to somehow save another life. I learned that the maximum satisfaction one achieves is not by making the big bucks, but by giving back to the less privileged.”
- In the first year of his M.B.B.S., he won a gold medal in Anatomy.
- He used to play cricket in the under-19 cricket team, Mumbai, and he has played cricket at the National level as well.
- The Bollywood actress, Aditi Gowitrikar was was his junior in a medical college. They became friends and started falling for each other. After dating for almost seven years, the couple decided to tie the knot. Their parents opposed their marriage as they were from different religions. But the couple got married against their parents’ will in 1998 and followed both Hindu and Islamic wedding rituals. Aditi even changed her name to Sarah Lakdawala and converted her religion.
- The couple has two children, but nothing remained the same in their married life. In 2008, the couple got divorced, and reportedly, the main reason behind their separation was their different lifestyle. Zee News
- He worked as a lecturer at B.Y.L. Nair Hospital in Mumbai.
- He underwent training in Advanced Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery with Prof. Seon Hahn Kim in Seoul, South Korea in 2004.
- He took training at the Unit of Gastro Surgery, with Piet Pattyn from the University of Ghent Hospital, Belgium in 2005.
- He underwent training in Bariatric Surgery with Raul Rosenthal in Cleveland Clinic, United States in 2006.
- Dr Muffazal is one of the surgeons in India who has performed the largest number of single incision sleeve gastrectomy surgeries in the world.
- He is the first surgeon to conduct a laparoscopic gastric bypass in India.
- He has a record to operate 30-year-old woman having a live worm inside her bile duct that too with minimum body aches.
- The youngest patient on whom he performed sleeve gastrectomy surgery was a 17-year-old boy, Jayesh Malukani,
- He did bariatric surgery on a man from China weighing 285 kg (627 pounds) who was also one of the heaviest men in Asia.
- He founded ‘Digestive Health Institute’ in Mumbai in 2004. Digestive Health Institute is the first Indian Centre for Excellence in Bariatric Surgery.
- In 2004, he became the Chairman of ‘Institute of Minimal Access Services at Saifee Hospital.’
- Many Indian politicians have been his clients on whom he has performed bariatric surgery including Nitin Gadkari, Nawab Malik, Nitin Raut, Vinod Tawde, and Venkaiah Naidu.
- He has demonstrated live surgery in almost every Asian country.
- He regularly works out in the gym to maintain his fitness.
- His book ‘The Eat Right Prescription: From India’s Leading Weight-Loss Surgeon’ was published in 2016.
- In an interview, when he was asked what was his prized possession, he said,
My watches. Each has a story to it. The most prized one is an Audemars Piguet watch that my wife bought me when my son Kiaan was born. It has his name, time and date of birth.”
- Dr Muffazal Lakdawala, Dr Gautam Bhansali and their team members were honoured at the ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ for their contribution towards the society during the coronavirus pandemic.