|Real Name||Girija Devi|
|Nickname||Thumri Queen, Appa|
|Profession||Indian classical singer|
|Gharana (Music School)||Seniya and Banaras Gharanas|
|Guru/Ustaad/Mentor||Sarju Prasad Misra and Chand Mishra|
|Date of Birth||8 May 1929|
|Birth Place||Varanasi, United Provinces, British India|
|Date of Death||24 October 2017|
|Place of Death||BM Birla Hospital, Kolkata, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||88 Years|
|Death Cause||Cardiac Arrest|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Taurus|
|Hometown||Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Family||Father- Ramdeo Rai (A Zamindar)
Mother- Name Not Known
Brother- Not Known
Sister- Not Known
|Hobbies||Watching Periodic Films, Listening to Music|
|Awards/Honours||1972: Padma Shri
1977: Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
1989: Padma Bhushan
2010: Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship
2012: Maha Sangeet Samman Award and GiMA Awards 2012 (Lifetime Achievement)
2015: Banga Bibhushan
2016: Padma Vibhushan
|Favourite Food||Paan (Betel)|
|Favourite Politician(s)||Dr Radhakrishnan, Sarojini Naidu, Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi|
|Favourite Singer||Lata Mangeshkar|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Husband/Spouse||Name Not Known (A Businessman)|
|Marriage Date||Year 1946|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Girija Devi
- Girija Devi was a renowned Indian Classical singer.
- She was born into a Zamindar family in Varanasi.
- Besides being a Zamindar, her father was also a musician.
- Initially, she was taught music by her father and later under the mentorship of Sarju Prasad Misra and Chand Misra.
- At the age of 5, she started learning ‘Khayal’ and ‘Tappa’ from vocalist and sarangi player Sarju Prasad Misra.
- At the age of 9, she also played a role in a movie- Yaad Rahe.
- In 1949, Girija Devi made her public debut on All India Radio Allahabad.
- She faced opposition in singing publicly, as it was believed that no upper caste woman should perform publicly.
- In 1951, she gave her 1st public concert in Bihar.
- Her singing style was highly appreciated and her audiences included Jawaharlal Nehru, Dr. Radhakrishnan, Sarojini Naidu, Indira Gandhi, etc.
- After her husband’s demise, she forayed into devotional singing, giving another dimension to her music.
- Girija Devi elevated the Purabi Ang Thumri style of singing.
- Her repertoire included the semi-classical genres- Kajri, Chaiti, and Holi.
- Girija Devi was very popular for her humour among her friends and relatives.
- Since her childhood, she had been fond of toys (especially dolls). Even in her old age, she had been gifted toys and dolls on her birthdays.
- On 24 October 2017, she died after a cardiac arrest. Condolences started pouring from every corner of the society.
- Here’s a detailed conversation with the Queen of Thumri: